Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Bundle of Chi'ing Dynasty 500-cash notes

On an estimate of just over $6000, it sold for over $200,000. Wow!

Bundle of Chinese notes from 1854

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Probably Chinese millionaires and billionaires flexing their wallets (filled with our money).

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Wow! Probably Chinese millionaires and billionaires flexing their wallets (filled with our money).

Maybe, but this bundle is supposedly unique outside of museums.

For those who haven't done so yet, I encourage you to read the article.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2017 6:57PM

That's 50 note so the average price per note is about 4380. I think the auction house is way under estimated. I don't think is that high. Is just the auction house don't know the market price,

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    That's 50 note so the average price per note is about 4380. I think the auction house is way under estimated. I don't think is that high. Is just the auction house don't know the market price,

I can't blame them. They have a good reputation, they offered a unique item without a specific book value with a famous pedigree that resulted in spirited bidding. A nice moment of numismatic history for all parties involved.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

perhaps very soon the first "newly found in an old Chinese bank" (fresh from the press) will show up. B)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many bundles will be in the next sale?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you read the late-in-life memoirs of rare book and Americana dealer Charles P. Everitt (active 1900 - 1950), he waxes and pines and warns of the "boom time prices" that rare books reached in the 1920s and plummeted from in the 1930s. Even the imminent scholar, book collector and bookdealer Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach (died 1952) makes some guarded statements about speculation in collectibles, and he was so wealthy that it could hardly matter to him.

When I see something like these old Chinese paper notes sold at these incredibly high prices, I wonder if we too are not seeing a generational high in collectibles that we will someday look back and shake our heads at. I also wonder the same thing when I see the current high prices paid for many lesser artifacts.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several 1000 note bundles of 1980s era small change notes from China that I bought there and would like to sell, even for a fraction of that price.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

When I see something like these old Chinese paper notes sold at these incredibly high prices, I wonder if we too are not seeing a generational high in collectibles that we will someday look back and shake our heads at. I also wonder the same thing when I see the current high prices paid for many lesser artifacts.

I don't know enough about Chinese banknotes to have an opinion on that particular market. However, I will say that many coins seem very overpriced these days, and many more seem like bargains. I'll also say that the market seems to be fixing the imbalances faster than ever these days, thanks to the internet.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 4:42PM

@MrEureka At this risk of mixing threads here in this one:

One always wonders what else can 'come-out-of-the-woodwork' in places like China, a very old place that has been so turbulent in the last 150 years. High prices pull stuff out of the hidden nooks and crannys.

I personally particularly notice how expensive nice nineteenth century 960 reis of Brazil, how expensive nice Mexican Caps & Rays 8 reales, how expensive nice British Trade Dollars have all become, compared to when they first came to my attention many years ago. People tell me that this feeling is my old age starting to kick in - and that it will just get worse.

I don't know if there are a lot of bargains in world crowns, but the few that I think are priced okay or reasonable, I dare not mention because I don't want additional competition!

I studied the best best best large silver pieces of Leopold the Hogmouth for a couple of months a few years back, with an eye to acquiring a few (had to be more than one, three or four preferred ) - knowing that they were very pricey - and then I just couldn't pull the trigger because of pending college costs for my kid. Still on my bucket list, however.