Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Returning to Hobby after 10-year hiatus: 2 Questions

ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

Hello All --

I have not actively collected coins for about 10 years, but a sudden change in circumstances has led me back into the hobby.

After being away for 10 years, there are 2 big changes that seem to have occurred, which I am hoping some of you here can shed some light on:

1.) What the heck happened to MS63-64 Coronet gold prices? These pieces seem to be selling for 1/2 or even a 1/3 of what I remember. Indians seem cheeper too, but the Coronets are pretty dramatic.

2.) Is anyone else as frustrated by Heritage's web site as I am? You click on "Coins" but it still doesn't give the option to be specific. You click on a random coin, and then you can find more categories, but then when I try to reset things I get looped into... comic books? It used to be so simple to use.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Artist

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices on most "generic gold" is way down, common 63/64 saints can be had for not much over spot. (Not that you asked)

Welcome back, I took a similar break and came back a few years ago.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back! Keep playing with the HA site. It will do what you want if you figure out how to ask. Same old game ... buy the coin first, then the holder (as in grade on said holder) and make your own mind up on a bean. There are great opportunities out there right now.

Doug
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back !!! :D

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

While you were gone we discovered how to make gold out of salt water and now prices have dropped. Lol. Seriously welcome back

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to have you back, Charlie. Many series have tanked since you were last in the game.

Heritage site is a bit overproduced but you will get the hang of it. Make careful note of the higher buying and shipping fees before diving in.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017 10:33PM

tis strange, gold was in the $600 to $800's in 2007, and now in the $1200's...Yet prices are down...in 2017 compared...

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current Value of US Gold:
    $10's and $20's =
    Supply and Demand

Unending supply, and
    weak demand.

Think about it - anyone
    who has wanted to buy
    a $20 gold of either Type,
    in AU up to MS-65 has
    had 40+ years of being
    able to do so, easily, at
    any spot gold price from
    $300 to $1,700.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Artist ....Welcome back.... Yep, been some changes in the coin universe..... However, this forum is a font of information, both new and historical..... so hang out and chat a while... I am sure you will be back in form quickly... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back @Artist
    There is a lot of 'fun' going on here :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

"Welcome back! Did you sell your Da Vinci? LOL"

LOL - I wish. Alas, as I shared in a different thread a couple weeks ago, my collection was stolen. After some thinking, I decided that I had no choice about the thieves steeling my coins, but I do have a choice about letting them rob me of my enjoyment of them, and to that end, I am working to rebuild my collection.

Low gold prices = actually works in my favor. Heritage's changes? Not so much LOL.

• Options

"Your dreams were your ticket out..."

That's funny.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start at this page on Heritage. You can search past and current auctions. Type in the date and coin right in the search box or use the categories listed below the search bar.

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+51&Ne=13

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

I took about a 7 year hiatus not long ago, and learned: Take your time jumping back in. The "job" of a collector, like any job, requires a certain amount of hands-on time. If you haven't honestly evaluated a coin in 7 or 10 years, you might not even KNOW you are out of practice. Better to assume you are, and avoid any mistakes until you're back up to speed for sure!

As for Heritage, I've never had a problem....but then I don't do a whole lot of deep searches either.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Start at this page on Heritage. You can search past and current auctions. Type in the date and coin right in the search box or use the categories listed below the search bar.

https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+51&Ne=13

Yes! This is perfect. Bookmarked! Thank you.

• Options

One other question:

Aside from Heritage and the bay of E, are there any other Teletrade-type online coin market places that have emerged?

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭

yes. Great Collections is a new web auction site.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you FINALLY navigate to where you want to be on the Heritage site, you can mark THAT page as a favorite or bookmark it and AFTER signing in, you can click on that new bookmark and it will save a pile of time.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

Think about it - anyone
    who has wanted to buy
    a $20 gold of either Type,
    in AU up to MS-65 has
    had 40+ years of being
    able to do so, easily, at
    any spot gold price from
    $300 to $1,700.

Not those of us who are under 40..... :D

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back. I jumped back in about 5 years ago after about a 15 year dry spell.

If you like US gold I don't think you will ever be able to buy for a lower premium over melt. The bigger question is will the price of gold hold up or increase until it is time for you to sell.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

To address your questions and make a comment.

1) GREAT time to re-enter the hobby, and with new found knowledge. You should be able to pick up whatever you want at a lower entry level than the last time, if what you think is true. Like Fred said , there's a pattern there
    .... maybe. Maybe not.
    2) To your second question . No, it's the juice that bothers me more than the site but I love the option to buy whatever, wherever. It's fun; and being selective makes it "less costly" ( I don't want to say cheap ) because anyone who pays a dollar for a dime seems braindead to those I know and love, in the other world I live in.

Personally, I would vote for David Hall before all the presidents I've had through the years.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep my focus on getting stolen material back. Check online, flea markets and shops. Thieves often wait 6 months to sell.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just about anyone with coins sells online. If not with own site, with the bay. Great time to jump back in Buyers market. Nice to have you back

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file