Home U.S. Coin Forum

Target Gift Coin’s

LOL...my wife just sent me a picture of this and thought I would share it with the board ;)

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Well that is unique.... a return to days of yore when merchants gave out tokens.... Cheers, RickO

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, how does it work? It looks like it is loaded with any value you close (based on the space after the dollar symbol). If I can get one with a cheap enough value I will pick one up to collect.

I know that not too many years ago some swanky department store issued metal coin "gift cards" at a set value.

P.S. - thx for posting, and congratulations on training your wife to keep an eye out for numismatic specimens. The best I do is get my moderately significant other to check the Coinstar machine at the supermarket (I tell her I will split the findings with her, but that came back to bite me when I found $160 melt worth of silver in one).

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heads I win - Tails You lose?

It might be one of those gift cards that you get to keep the "token" for sentimental purposes?

This is why there are no Wal-Marts in Afghanistan...too many Targets.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool, but would be cooler if it was actual silver.

While I despise Starbucks, a couple years ago they sold a sterling silver gift card

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool idea!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

i agree that is a very good idea. i hope some others do that as well.

This thread has prompted me to try to dig out my Austrian Mint "gift card" - a struck rectangular thing with a nice design. I will try to get a photo of it this weekend. The Austrian Mint was smart to issue these. I am sure lots of people bought them to keep like I did,

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Target bitcoin? Sooo... A Titcoin?

The more you VAM..
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I like it, how does it work? It looks like it is loaded with any value you close (based on the space after the dollar symbol). If I can get one with a cheap enough value I will pick one up to collect.

I know that not too many years ago some swanky department store issued metal coin "gift cards" at a set value.

P.S. - thx for posting, and congratulations on training your wife to keep an eye out for numismatic specimens. The best I do is get my moderately significant other to check the Coinstar machine at the supermarket (I tell her I will split the findings with her, but that came back to bite me when I found $160 melt worth of silver in one).

...my wife just told me that you can load them up and re-load them back up as there is a barcode on the reverse of the coin ;)

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@JBK said:

...my wife just told me that you can load them up and re-load them back up as there is a barcode on the reverse of the coin ;)

Thx! That's good info. I will make a pain in the butt of myself this weekend and go to a Target and see what is the smallest amount they can put on one of these. Although, you can probably keep the coin after you spend it down or even use it online so maybe it is not that hard to arrange to keep one once it is used...

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2017 8:46PM

It appears that there may be different designs and the minimum value is $5. Plus one can order online (and it ships for free thru 12/23).

https://www.target.com/p/metal-gift-coin/-/A-21401477

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    It appears that there may be different designs and the minimum value is $5. Plus one can order online (and it ships for free thru 12/23).

https://www.target.com/p/metal-gift-coin/-/A-21401477

Thanks. I just ordered 20.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are sick in a good way. ;)

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file