Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1953 Canadian 5 Cent Questions on Variety &...

Hi y'all. Can someone help me with finding put the variety this 5 cent Canadian coin is? I know 2 of 4 are the valuable ones. Second, the obverse has a die issue. There's a cluster of numbers and letters in Elizabeth's headband and letters on her chin and across her neck. I can make out a 3 C on her headband and an E and S across her neck. Does anyone know what this is called? Die clash? Any help is appreciated. Thank u.

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Fee316 -

You might want to post this on World $ Ancient Coin Forum - there are a number of Canadian collectors over there who may be able to help you.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Ok thank you!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to give you my thoughts however the last time I commented on a coin with a beaver on it here I got banned for a month :(

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they have better eyesight over on the World Coin Forum since what I see seems to be just PMD.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

numismatic pareidolia

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    numismatic pareidolia

I have to admit, I had to look up the meaning for this word....

pareidolia

noun
    the imagined perception of a pattern or meaning where it does not actually exist, as in considering the moon to have human features

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK - here is my 2 cents worth on this one, even though it is greyside.
    The varieties depend on whether there is a shoulder fold on the portrait. I don't see a shoulder fold.
    The second pick up point is the maple leaf near the head of the beaver - close to the edge or far from the edge. I see it as far from the edge based on the photos in Charleton.

This is the most common of the varieties for the date. The valuable ones are: maple leaf near and no shoulder fold OR maple leaf far and a shoulder fold.

Good luck.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    numismatic pareidolia

I have to admit, I had to look up the meaning for this word....

pareidolia

noun
    the imagined perception of a pattern or meaning where it does not actually exist, as in considering the moon to have human features

That's a relief....I thought someone was facing some serious jail time for this "pareidolia" thing....

I might have to tattoo that word somewhere - I can never remember it, and it does have lots of applications.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2017 1:24PM

I fell victim to this pareidolia thing once myself. I found a nickel that looked like it had an alien next to Jefferson but I figured that it was just my imagination running wild.

• Options
    Fee316Fee316 Posts: 89
    edited November 13, 2017 3:35PM

Now boys let's not be silly I submitted that to a Facebook coin group and other people could see the numbers and letters That's Not Unusual on coins that does happen in case you didn't know and secondly clearly you can see on the negative filter that there's numbers there and I don't think y'all are too familiar with Canadian coins
    so I would just stop trying to put out bad information to people because if you're here to help others you should at least be somewhat informed about what you're talking about. Can I get an actual experienced coin collector to answer a question on this forum or is it all just like grade school boys who like to snap towels in the locker room.

• Options

Thank you to the one person I think or two people who actually answered in a professional experience manner and thank you for representing this hobby that we all have passion for in a way that doesn't deflect people from wanting to stay in it with the comments that are just so unoriginal and not even entertaining I mean if you're going to be giving out answers of no value at least make them funny.

• Options

I hadn't been on this forum in a long time and thank you for reminding me why that is. I want to go on a forum to learn not to lose brain cells.

• Options

I just don't understand what you think you have there on the neck. Are the marks raised? If not, then it is random marks, contact from another coin, or from someone with a set of letter punches. Also, if you think you have some kind of error you should have an idea of how it supposedly occurred. But, that's just my opinion.

As for Facebook, I don't use it so.i can't comment for sure, but the demographics are probably skewed toward the younger (AKA less experienced) crowd. If you want the benefit of people with the most experience this is the place to get it.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

You post here and never seem to believe the answers you receive. What is that about ?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fee316..... Fred Weinberg is a nationally recognized expert (and published author) on error coins. His judgement is sought and valued on all types of coins. Please do not mistake his comments for random remarks. You cannot find a more professional input on these type of issues. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Fee316..... Fred Weinberg is a nationally recognized expert (and published author) on error coins. His judgement is sought and valued on all types of coins. Please do not mistake his comments for random remarks. You cannot find a more professional input on these type of issues. Cheers, RickO

I'll second that, It's kind of like having a lawyer for a neighbor and being able to hit him up for free legal advice at the neighborhood barbeque. Some people don't recognize the value of the free expert advice they get on the forum.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've stared at this for quite a while like the guy looking for a Schooner in the movie Mallrats.

I see nothing on the reverse design that matches tentative obverse die clashing.

So sorry to say but I'm also in the Post Mint Damage camp.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

....do I hear BBQ Ribs and Brisket being offered?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭

FeeliciaYour track record why do conitnue to come here and post coins of questionable defects and do NOT accept the opinions of others if you dont like the respone and the answers that in your mind are set in stone why do post here?

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    You post here and never seem to believe the answers you receive. What is that about ?

Appropriate nom de plume.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

She had the same problems over on CT. If you don't agree with her, don't post. Don't joke around, she can't handle it. Cool lady but not much understanding of the hobby or the forums.
    Please Fee316, be more understanding. Folks here try to help but have fun in the process.

Larry

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I fell victim to this pareidolia thing once myself. I found a nickel that looked like it had an alien next to Jefferson but I figured that it was just my imagination running wild.

Wait, is that a human face on that coin? Just off to the left. I swear I'm not drinking BOYS

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file