Home Sports Talk

Your list of 5 most despised athletes.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 11, 2017 9:47AM in Sports Talk

Without extensive thought I'll go with.

1. Tiger Woods. Great golfer but everything else about the guy is wretched.

2. Lance Armstrong. Lowest cretin in sporting history. Sued those that accused him of PED use.

3. Barry Bonds. Everyone knew that the bloated star was a drug user...they were having too much fun though to call him out.

4. *Larry Bird was until the steal from the Pistons in the 1987 playoffs. What a talent that guy was.

5. Tom Brady. Not intended to agitate Perkdog. I find the QB diva particularly irritating.

Note: OJ is certainly a worthy first choice on anyone's list. His on field performance though was far removed from his later criminal activity.

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

None for me...life is far, far too short to despise anyone.

However, your putting Brady in your "most despised list because of some "diva" nonsense is shallow at best. Including Larry Bird I find very odd.

Your omission of those with noted dubious off-field activities clearly indicates you should have gone with the "extensive thought" comment.

Actually, I find your post topic somewhat boorish and unecessary. Surely your hypothalamus can conjure up a more valued post.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2017 2:07PM

I can understand haters of the Patriots despising Tom Brady, really I do. Personally I love Tom Brady the New England Patriot and will defend him with everything I got as far as him being the best ever but that’s as far as I go, I wouldn’t pay for his auto or even care to actually meet him and talk to him or any athlete, these guys are not anything to me outside of the uniform. I despise Eli Manning -Beat the Pats twice, Colin Kaepernick for starting all the kneeling controversy, Manny Ramirez for quitting on the Sox, David Tyree for the stupidest and luckiest one play ever to ruin the Pats undefeated season and Arod for him being him.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Randy Moss.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

Barry Bonds was such a tool and a cheater. He's probably #1. I am not really a hater so can't think of 4 others.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    None for me...life is far, far too short to despise anyone.

However, your putting Brady in your "most despised list because of some "diva" nonsense is shallow at best. Including Larry Bird I find very odd.

Your omission of those with noted dubious off-field activities clearly indicates you should have gone with the "extensive thought" comment.

Actually, I find your post topic somewhat boorish and unecessary. Surely your hypothalamus can conjure up a more valued post.

Ex Lax may help you.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2017 9:54PM

Boorish was a good choice. I might of went with negative or shallow but I can live with boorish.

@Coinstartled said:
    Without extensive thought

That was obvious

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

As expected, a very mature response from you.

It may interest you to know that Michael Vick, quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles, plead guilty in court to torturing and killing at least 8 pit bull dogs. He personally hung, or drowned these dogs. So, you ponder the sight of those poor defenseless animals twisting in the wind fighting for their last breath, or under water gasping their last.

Interesting that you didn't choose this person to make your most despised athletes list. If I had a list, he'd be numero uno.

I suggest you grow up and post things of value, not attempt to incite hatred.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 2:12AM

1984 Detroit Tigers (Yes, the entire team!)
    Kobe Bryant
    Bill Laimbeer
    Tiger Woods
    Terrell Owens

Steve

@SDSportsFan said:
    1984 Detroit Tigers (Yes, the entire team!)
    Kobe Bryant
    Bill Laimbeer
    Tiger Woods
    Terrell Owens

Steve

Heh...I was on the other side of the 84 Tigers.

Laimbeer would have made my list If I didn't live in Detroit at the time.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glick i have a sneaking suspicion that one of these nights you are going to have a moist dream.....

round 4, back 9 leaderboard at the 2019 Masters

Spieth -9
    Fowler - 9
    Woods -9
    Lefty -9
    Rors -9
    DJ - 8
    JT -8
    Koepka -8
    El Niño -8
    Day -8

.....and you will wake up slightly less curmudgeony when it comes to ol' Eldrick.

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 Barry Bonds
    2 Barry Bonds
    3 Barry Bonds
    4 Barry Bonds
    5 Barry Bonds

There are plenty of athletes I root against and/or don't like, but since the question was which ones I "despise" then Bonds fills out the list. I will smile the day he dies.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll add Barry Bonds and Micheal Vick. Especially Vick.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@galaxy27 said:
    Glick i have a sneaking suspicion that one of these nights you are going to have a moist dream.....

round 4, back 9 leaderboard at the 2019 Masters

Spieth -9
    Fowler - 9
    Woods -9
    Lefty -9
    Rors -9
    DJ - 8
    JT -8
    Koepka -8
    El Niño -8
    Day -8

.....and you will wake up slightly less curmudgeony when it comes to ol' Eldrick.

Perhaps not unusual but I watched at least the weekends of nearly every tourney that Woody played in. This year I only watched the Masters.

Love him or hate him, he was a ratings giant.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    1 Barry Bonds
    2 Barry Bonds
    3 Barry Bonds
    4 Barry Bonds
    5 Barry Bonds

There are plenty of athletes I root against and/or don't like, but since the question was which ones I "despise" then Bonds fills out the list. I will smile the day he dies.

WOW .......that is a true despise.

My list right off:

The football Giants
    Barry Bonds
    Terrell Owens
    Tiger Woods
    The bad boys Piston team.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dallasactuary goes off the deep end with his last sentence.

I hate all the Yankees from 1976 to present day, especially Graig Nettles,
    but I certainly would never say I would smile on the day they die.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:

Nettles played the best 3rd base I have ever seen in the WS against the Dodgers way back when.

edited November 12, 2017 4:32PM

If I had to select a t> @Justacommeman said:

Boorish was a good choice. I might of went with negative or shallow but I can live with boorish.

@Coinstartled said:

That was obvious

mark

You're right Mark. I have tuned out the NFL but on reflection I'll replace *Bird with kaepernick and his cadre of flag hating comrades.

@Coinstartled said:
    If I had to select a t> @Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

That was obvious

mark

You're right Mark. I have tuned out the NFL but on reflection I'll replace *Bird with kaepernick and his cadre of flag hating comrades.

I forgot about Kap....put him at the TOP of my list!!!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@dallasactuary said:
    1 Barry Bonds
    2 Barry Bonds
    3 Barry Bonds
    4 Barry Bonds
    5 Barry Bonds

My list right off:

The football Giants
    Barry Bonds
    Terrell Owens
    Tiger Woods

Wait, no Romo??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@dallasactuary said:
    1 Barry Bonds
    2 Barry Bonds
    3 Barry Bonds
    4 Barry Bonds
    5 Barry Bonds

My list right off:

The football Giants
    Barry Bonds
    Terrell Owens
    Tiger Woods

Wait, no Romo??

Romo was just a pathetic QB.......I had nothing against him personally. The ones on the list I despise personally!

edited November 12, 2017 6:50PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@dallasactuary said:
    1 Barry Bonds

Wait, no Romo??

Romo was just a pathetic QB.......I had nothing against him personally. The ones on the list I despise personally!

This is just one of the reasons why Its hard to take you seriously

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@dallasactuary said:
    1 Barry Bonds

Wait, no Romo??

This is just one of the reasons why you can't be taken seriously

mark

...as you return to the "boorish" thread.

edited November 12, 2017 6:17PM

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@dallasactuary said:
    1 Barry Bonds

Wait, no Romo??

This is just one of the reasons why you can't be taken seriously

mark

...as you return to the "boorish" thread.

I like a good train wreck Just like most. Hard to turn your head. I'm only human

mark

@DIMEMAN said:

@Darin said:

Nettles played the best 3rd base I have ever seen in the WS against the Dodgers way back when.

Brooks Robinson played the best 3rd base I've ever seen in the 70 series against the Reds.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brooks Robinson played the best 3rd base I've ever seen in the 70 series against the Reds.

That was my immediate thought when I read that. I'm still upset with Brooks.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:

Brooks had the better overall career, but Nettles had the best WS ever!

edited November 12, 2017 7:49PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

No. It's not called the 1970 Brooks Robinson World Series for nothing.

He's not at his locker yet, but four guys are over there interviewing his glove." - Rex Barney to reporters looking to interview Brooks Robinson after the 1970 World Series

"He was the best defensive player at any position. I used to stand in the outfield like a fan and watch him make play after play. I used to think WOW, I can't believe this." - Frank Robinson

"I hope the car they (Sport Magazine who awarded it to the World Series MVP) give him (Brooks Robinson) has an extra large glove box." - Sparky Anderson

"I'm beginning to see Brooks (Robinson) in my sleep. If I dropped a paper plate, he'd pick it up on one hop and throw me out at first." - Sparky Anderson

"I will become a left-handed hitter to keep the ball away from that guy." - Johnny Bench

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRQSECBxK8s

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Brick said:

No. It's not called the 1970 Brooks Robinson World Series for nothing.

He's not at his locker yet, but four guys are over there interviewing his glove." - Rex Barney to reporters looking to interview Brooks Robinson after the 1970 World Series

"He was the best defensive player at any position. I used to stand in the outfield like a fan and watch him make play after play. I used to think WOW, I can't believe this." - Frank Robinson

"I hope the car they (Sport Magazine who awarded it to the World Series MVP) give him (Brooks Robinson) has an extra large glove box." - Sparky Anderson

"I'm beginning to see Brooks (Robinson) in my sleep. If I dropped a paper plate, he'd pick it up on one hop and throw me out at first." - Sparky Anderson

"I will become a left-handed hitter to keep the ball away from that guy." - Johnny Bench

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRQSECBxK8s

mark

They have a clip just as good of Nettles. No need to argue Mark. They both had a GREAT WS!

edited November 12, 2017 8:19PM

Not arguing. The 1970 performance has never been duplicated . Nettles did have a wonderful WS

mark

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

Now it's Just a smile. Had he died before breaking Aaron's record I would have done a dance of joy and high-fived everyone I met for a week.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
    edited November 13, 2017 12:41AM

You guys are hard core.

@Darin, I still can't believe no one got tossed on that play. It's remarkable after that melee that Nettles stood in the field right next to Brett leading off third and the game went on. I wanted the Royals to win so bad. Though though Series

m

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Lebron James

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭

1-5 cowboys

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roberto Alomar to start with, to be continued......

edited November 13, 2017 9:04AM

Dallas- you can be like me and not officially recognize Bonds as the home run King.
    Its still Hank Aaron in my book. I don't care what MLB says about it.

Mark, really a cheap shot by Nettles. He kicked Brett after he slid into third base.
    I guess players didn't get tossed as easily back then.LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    edited November 13, 2017 9:40AM

Honorable mention for Sosa, McGwire and not least of which, Alexander Rodriquez.

Hammer'n Hank will always be the HR King since no one after will be steriod free!

Bonds is a JOKE!!

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Hammer'n Hank will always be the HR King since no one after will be steriod free!

Bonds is a JOKE!!

They both are jerks. But Barry had more talent, was an amazing athlete. Fun to watch on the field.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017 2:35PM

I don’t despise any athletes.... mostly coin dealers.

@garnettstyle said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Bonds is a JOKE!!

They both are jerks. But Barry had more talent, was an amazing athlete. Fun to watch on the field.

One jerk though, to my knowledge, adhered to the rules of the game.

I have never heard anything bad about Hank Aaron.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

OJ Simpson
    Parker
    Woods
    Dennis Rodman
    Colin Kapernickel

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

At the risk of agitating the snowflakes I won't start a second 5 thread.

Included would be Charles Barkley for spitting on the 8 year old kid.

Iron Mike Tyson gets the lifetime achievement award!

edited November 13, 2017 6:33PM

@galaxy27 said:
    tried to come up with 5 but got stuck at 1

substitute "athletes" with "cu sports talk participants" and i'd have no such problem :#:#:#

When I played ball there was a kid on St Matthews I did not like. He was so flipping good. That's the closet I've ever come to despising an athlete. I don't care to put that kind of energy into a professional athlete. Not my jam.

Sure there are those I'm not a fan of. But there are jerks everywhere

m

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

Mark, really a cheap shot by Nettles. He kicked Brett after he slid into third base.
    I guess players didn't get tossed as easily back then.LOL.

Wasn't a cheap shot at all, it was retaliation for the forearm that Brett threw at Nettles first. Brett slid in hard then, as he popped up, he forearmed/shoved Nettles so Nettles kicked him:

https://youtu.be/vbdvlX1j77w?t=2m33s

A word to the wise...

Those who like to post with negative comments about other posters, or appear to thrive on negativity, should consult with "Dbtunr" and "baseball" as to the consequences of such actions. Oh, I just remembered, they've been banned.

I can assure you, the Webmaster has a less than zero tolerance for such nonsense. Any poster can confirm this with the Webmaster, her name is Julie Curiel, www.jcuriel@collectors.com, or contact her via 800-325-1121.

This board is about lively exchanges on topics, not personal attacks.

John Rocker was too dumb to make my top 5 list. His moronic comments pretty much ended his career. He would be about twelfth on an expanded list.