Options

Your list of 5 most despised athletes.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jhn Rocker belongs > @MCMLVTopps said:

A word to the wise...

Those who like to post with negative comments about other posters, or appear to thrive on negativity, should consult with "Dbtunr" and "baseball" as to the consequences of such actions. Oh, I just remembered, they've been banned.

I can assure you, the Webmaster has a less than zero tolerance for such nonsense. Any poster can confirm this with the Webmaster, her name is Julie Curiel, www.jcuriel@collectors.com, or contact her via 800-325-1121.

This board is about lively exchanges on topics, not personal attacks.

Perhaps you should self ban then for calling my thread boorish. That was hurtful and uncalled for!

:'(

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought boorish was being kind. Why don't you start a thread about the 5 most admired athletes?

You'll be saddened to know that I'll soon be gone for 3 weeks plus...I won't even be in the country, no doubt you'll miss my posts. Do have a Happy Thanksgiving. B)

• Options

Well here you go, MCMLVTopps.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/983426/the-best-that-you-saw-play-in-the-4-major-team-sports#latest

Hope that you enjoy the holidays as well.

:)

• Options

Nope, failed again. Your thread is about the best that you saw play..., NOT most admired

Let me help you a little...think A-D-M-I-R-E-D...

Jackie Robinson
    Ted Williams...and yes, he was indeed the best I ever saw play.
    Roberto Clemente
    Rocky Marciano
    Joe Montana

And, because I'm a Vietnam Veteran and can appreciate sacrifice...those who served...

Bob Feller
    Yogi Berra
    Roger Staubach
    Ted Williams...google what he gave up for his country! Yes, he's in here twice and deservedly so.
    Warren Spahn
    David Robinson
    Hank Greenberg

I could add more to the list, but you get the idea. Perhaps another search of your more illustrious posts would tweak out something a bit closer to the key word admired. Actually admiring someone is to me, much better than despising.

I will indeed enjoy the holidays, I'm heading to New Zealand for almost 3 weeks.

BTW, I was once a very avid collector of 1955 Topps baseball cards, thus the MCMLV...my name is Al. Enjoy the pic, a set I once owned, which was about 15 cards short of a straight PSA 8 set.

E

• Options
    edited November 14, 2017 4:02PM

First off, very nice collection and thank you for serving our country. Thinking back to the athletes I admired...I didn't do all that well.

1. Joe Paterno. He embodied all that was right in college sports. Well of course until the truth came out about the hideous. SOB.
    2. Barry Sanders. Other than being a quitter and walking away from his team...he was still an outstanding man on and off the field.
    3. Lance Armstrong. Epitome of toughness and determination. That went bust real quick.
    4. Hank Aaron. An all star's all star. Sadly he became a racist later in life. Maybe sooner but it was not widely publicized.
    5. Pete Rose. Charlie Hustle. Hardest working player maybe in the game's history. Blew it though by repeatedly wagering on games that he played in/coached.

After the disappointment in Paterno, I learned to worship no player or coach in any game. Does not mean that one cannot be a fan, but too many harbor deep and dark secrets.

• Options

Much better post !!!

I'll be lurking when I get back. Actually, it's Australia and New Zealand...hopefully a great adventure.

Tks for the comments...lost some really good friends there. A very, very long year of my life, it changed me to value each day as a gift beyond description.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    First off, very nice collection and thank you for serving our country. Thinking back to the athletes I admired...I didn't do all that well.

1. Joe Paterno. He embodied all that was right in college sports. Well of course until the truth came out about the hideous. SOB.
    2. Barry Sanders. Other than being a quitter and walking away from his team...he was still an outstanding man on and off the field.
    3. Lance Armstrong. Epitome of toughness and determination. That went bust real quick.
    4. Hank Aaron. An all star's all star. Sadly he became a racist later in life. Maybe sooner but it was not widely publicized.
    5. Pete Rose. Charlie Hustle. Hardest working player maybe in the game's history. Blew it though by repeatedly wagering on games that he played in/coached.

After the disappointment in Paterno, I learned to worship no player or coach in any game. Does not mean that one cannot be a fan, but too many harbor deep and dark secrets.

That's in all walks of lives. I don't hold athletes in higher or lower esteem then anyone else. They are human first. Except for Tom Brady.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I have never heard anything bad about Hank Aaron.

I've heard stuff, but I won't dignify it by repeating it here. Hank Aaron - the all-time MLB home run king - brought nothing but glory to the game of baseball and is one of its true legends. He's said some things in his life that I wouldn't say, but them I'm not a black man from the South who received death threats addressed to "you n****r". Aaron has earned the right to say any damn thing he wants to say.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I've heard stuff, but I won't dignify it by repeating it here. Hank Aaron - the all-time MLB home run king - brought nothing but glory to the game of baseball and is one of its true legends. He's said some things in his life that I wouldn't say, but them I'm not a black man from the South who received death threats addressed to "you n****r". Aaron has earned the right to say any damn thing he wants to say.

Amen

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I've heard about the threats he was getting when approaching Ruth's record. Terrible ordeal he went through. I agree with your accessment of Hank.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree 100% with Dallas about Aaron.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Agree as well. Goes for kaepernick too. First amendment is our most important right.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 7:30PM

If aaron was a white guy and said those things, he wouldn't get a pass. Aaron is a racist. They come in all colors. Playing a game and hitting a lot of home runs, dont give you a pass.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

Willie stargell received death threats during his playing days as well. But willie was a class act and never said anything bad about anyone. Everyone loved him.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    If aaron was a white guy and said those things, he wouldn't get a pass. Aaron is a racist. They come in all colors. Playing a game and hitting a lot of home runs, dont give you a pass.

If Aaron was a white guy, the things he said would be incomprehensible bordering on lunacy. He was speaking from a personal experience that only a black man could possibly have had. You seem determined to ignore the context in which Aaron's animosity was formed, and which informed the things he said. I'm not saying I want to build a statue to commemorate all the things Aaron has said regarding race, but in context they are understandable and I think he deserves a pass. In any event, to mention him in a most despised athletes list based on his remarks strikes me as incomprehensible, bordering on lunacy.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2017 7:58PM

That's just nuts. No one deserves a pass for being a racist. But then again, we have our usual PC members on this forum like anywhere else. So people sticking up for him does not surprise me in the least.

What Aaron said offended a lot of people. Its justs a fact the black athletes get a pass much more than whites for the things that come out of their mouths.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2017 8:06PM

It's not about about being PC, it's about context,..and no informed sports, or more importantly, baseball fan is going to list Aaron as one of the most despised athletes unless they are completely clueless.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    It's not about about being PC, it's about context,..and no informed sports, or more importantly, baseball fan is going to list Aaron as one of the most despised athletes unless they are completely clueless.

Totally agree with you on this. :oB)

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@garnettstyle said:

to mention him in a most despised athletes list based on his remarks strikes me as incomprehensible, bordering on lunacy.

Reread my post, DA. He was mentioned in a most admired/later dissapointed post. I don't despise the man.

• Options

I want to commemorate this day, the 24th day of November in the year of our Lord 2017, as the first and probably only time in my life that I have been referred to as "PC".

And my apologies, Mark. I didn't go back to check how Hank Aaron's name got into this thread. And yeah, "disappointed" is about as strong a sentiment as I could muster. We all want our sports heroes to be gods, immune to human failing even when they are threatened with lynching. Aaron's human, he's not God, and he was threatened with lynching by more than one white man for breaking a white man's record. Would that make you bitter towards white people in general if you were black? Anyone who answers anything other than "I don't know" is lying, and that's why I give him a pass. He was then, and remains today, one of my favorite athletes of all time.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2017 9:06PM

@grote15 said:

@dallasactuary said:
    I want to commemorate this day, the 24th day of November in the year of our Lord 2017, as the first and probably only time in my life that I have been referred to as "PC".

And my apologies, Mark. I didn't go back to check how Hank Aaron's name got into this thread. And yeah, "disappointed" is about as strong a sentiment as I could muster. We all want our sports heroes to be gods, immune to human failing even when they are threatened with lynching. Aaron's human, he's not God, and he was threatened with lynching by more than one white man for breaking a white man's record. Would that make you bitter towards white people in general if you were black? Anyone who answers anything other than "I don't know" is lying, and that's why I give him a pass. He was then, and remains today, one of my favorite athletes of all time.

By your logic, if anyone else has a bad experience with another race, then it's ok to be a racist. If you disagree, then it's a double standard.

• Options

Actually Garnettstyle showed his true colors........yet again. When somebody does I believe him.

mark

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@grote15 said:

@dallasactuary said:

By your logic, if anyone else has a bad experience with another race, then it's ok to be a racist. If you disagree, then it's a double standard.

You wouldn't have survived the 50's, 60's or 70's as a black man. You are too thin skinned. You have zero clue Breitbart boy

mark

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

Totally agree with you on this. :oB)

The apocalypse is coming as we are all aligned

mark

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

If a black waitress brings you a Coke when you ordered Diet Coke, that's "a bad experience". When multiple white people credibly threaten to end your life, because you are black and for no other reason, that is not "a bad experience", it is a horrific experience that very few people have had to endure. The one's that do? Yeah, I understand why they look at all white people with suspicion, at best, and animosity, at worst. If you've got an example of a white man who has been repeatedly threatened by black people with death because he's white, and for no other reason, then I'm going to give him a pass, too. A double standard only exists if you ignore the vast difference in context, which you are bound and determined to do.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@garnettstyle said:

If a black waitress brings you a Coke when you ordered Diet Coke, that's "a bad experience". When multiple white people credibly threaten to end your life, because you are black and for no other reason, that is not "a bad experience", it is a horrific experience that very few people have had to endure. The one's that do? Yeah, I understand why they look at all white people with suspicion, at best, and animosity, at worst. If you've got an example of a white man who has been repeatedly threatened by black people with death because he's white, and for no other reason, then I'm going to give him a pass, too. A double standard only exists if you ignore the vast difference in context, which you are bound and determined to do.

Hank aaron does not deserve a pass. You think he is entitled. Was he ever beaten or physically abused? Not to my knowledge. He got paid millions to hit a baseball. Geez I feel so sorry for the guy. Meanwhile, there were a lot more other blacks who went through a hell of a lot more shit than hank aaron ever went through.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Hank aaron does not deserve a pass. You think he is entitled. Was he ever beaten or physically abused? Not to my knowledge. He got paid millions to hit a baseball. Geez I feel so sorry for the guy. Meanwhile, there were a lot more other blacks who went through a hell of a lot more shit than hank aaron ever went through.

Saved for posterity.