Home Sports Talk
Options

The best that you saw play....in the 4 Major team sports.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

This may not be all that easy.

Only went to a handful of NHL games but saw Gordie play in Detroit for the Wings. Easy pick

Had to be Mickey Mantle in baseball in the late 1960's against the Tigers.

Probably attended 8 NBA games from the early 70's to the late 80's. Don't recall the opponents so Isaiah Thomas gets the nod.

Lions were easy as they had little talent beyond Barry Sanders. Don't recall too many opponents beyond Minnesota and Tampa Bay so Barry is the easy choice. For a couple years before his career was cut short by injury, I'll give an honorable mention to Billy Sims.

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta go with Mickey Mantle in Fenway Park, sometime in the late 50s. Somehow my dad seemed to always get tickets in that little "pizza slice" of seats behind the Red Sox bullpen, to the immediate right of the 420' sign. Jackie Jensen hit a deep fly ball over (ovah) Mantle's head and it rolled to the corner. Quite a thrill for a young kid to be looking down at #7 about 10 feet away. Of course, Ted Williams played in that game as well as the infamous Jimmy Piersall.

Great memories of Fenway, just a thrill to go there.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah...Larry Byrd and Magic in the Boston Garden...speaks for itself.

Oddly, no hockey, although I grew up about 40 miles from the home ice of the Bruins.
    Football...not a fan, but Deion Sanders in his prime in Atlanta. Prime Time was really on an ego trip then!!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Brett and Ken Griffey Jr.

I saw Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguiz play but I don't count them since they were cheaters.

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lemieux in Pittsburgh
    Rose in Cincinnati
    Jordan in Chicago
    Deshaun Watson - Clemson, Tempe, Tampa, Houston

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron James, Jim Brown and way too many Baseball players going back to the 60's to remember.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Orr
    Jordan
    Barry Sanders
    Schmidt

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

My all restaurant/nightclub team includes Thomas, Laimbeer, Lynn Swann, Franco Harris, Horace Grant and Bob Lanier!

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Paul Ott Caruth
    Lenn Sakata
    Chuck Nevitt

Don't have a hockey one.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw Ted Williams as manager of the Washington Senators in1969... Saw Ernie Banks at Wrigley in 1973. They were playing Philadelphia and two young guys Mike Schmidt and Grer Luzinski managed to find Sheffield. I saw Nolan Ryan strike out 19 Red Sox...

I see to remember the best moments more than who might be thought of as the best players.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baseball:Reggie Jackson's home run in the 71 All Star game. The ball hit the light transformer on the right field roof.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

Nolan Ryan No Hitter 16 K's may of '91 Arlington, also in '93 when Robin Ventura made his ill fated trip to the mound only to have his clock cleaned by Ryan. Worked a lot of sporting events in Dallas in the early '80's making sure the beer kept flowing, so I was fortunate to see quite a few players.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hockey - Wayne Gretzky/Patrick Roy. The first game I ever went to was right after Gretzky went to St Louis and they played the Avalanche in Denver. I also went to many Avalanche games in the mid/late 1990s.

Baseball - Hank Aaron/Johnny Bench/Pete Rose/Nolan Ryan/Mike Schmidt/Tony Gwynn/Dave Winfield/Willie McCovey/Rickey Henderson. Most memorable was being at Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter in Arlington. I grew up in San Diego and went to many Padres games in the 1970s/early 1980s. I was also at a Ryan one-hitter in San Diego, and at his almost 8th no-hitter in Arlington against the Angels.

Football - Probably John Elway. Went to the games in Denver between the Chargers and Broncos in 1996 and 1997. Also went to many Chargers home games in 1980 and 81 during the height of Air Coryell :smiley:

Basketball - i've been to I think, one ABA and three NBA games in my life; the ABA game in San Diego against the Kentucky Colonels, one NBA in Denver against Houston in 1995 or 1996, and the other two in San Antonio against Phoenix and another team I don't even remember. All I remember about them is that Wilt Chamberlain was the coach in San Diego at that time, and the game between the Spurs and Suns was when Shaq played for Phoenix (but he didn't play in that game).

Steve

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lessee...

NBA - only been to a handful of games; I'm gonna say Isiah Thomas

NFL - again, only a handful; best would definitely be Barry Sanders

NHL - never been to an NHL game despite being a hockey fan growing up in Detroit; have seen 100 or so college games though - best player would be Paul Kariya when he was at Maine

MLB - I've seen a lot of great players but probably the best of 'em all was Clayton Kershaw, who I saw pitch in Seattle.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

NHL - Gretzky in the '93 Cup Finals....In fact I attended every Kings home playoff game that season. Even though they lost to Montreal in the Finals, it was an unforgettable time.
    NBA - Magic vs. Bird, Lakers vs. Celtics, etc. etc.
    NFL - Peyton Manning won his first Super Bowl vs. my favorite team, Da Bears. I paid several thousand dollars to stand in the rain, ruin a digital camera, and cry in my beer. I did it all with my teenage son by my side. I'm glad we went.
    MLB - Game 3 of the 2016 World Series - Cleveland 1, Chicago 0....My kid was with me again for this one. And we got to see the team that would be Champs. Every Cub was there, + some Old Timers and there was Bill Murray channeling Daffy Duck for the 7th inning stretch from the Press Box. So yeah, ultimately they were the best of the best.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harmon Killebrew, Alan Page, Mike Modano.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Brett, Frank White and Tony Gonzalez

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry Bird, David Ortiz, Tom Brady

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Larry Bird, David Ortiz, Tom Brady

Dem are good

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Let's do college

I've been to literally hundreds of college hockey, football and basketball games from 1968 to present ( young pup )

Football. Charles Woodson

Basketball-- Bill Walton

Hockey Paul Kariya

mark

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hockey - n/a
    Baseball - Griffey
    Basketball - Magic
    Football - Rice

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2017 2:53AM

Baseball - barry bonds, barry Larkin, Tim Raines, Andre Dawson, al Oliver, Gary carter

Football - Dermonti Dawson, Eddie George, Greg Lloyd, Brian sipe, Ozzie newsome, Jerome Bettis

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

Since we are are going deeper into the lineups....I will add Al Kaline and Eddie Mathews.
    Steve Yzerman
    Roger Staubach
    Dennis Rodman

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Most memorable games I attended:

Gretzky at the Forum his first year with the Kings - ELECTRIC! Every time he touched the puck the whole place was on the edge of our seats.

Second most electric was Shaq and Penny for the Magic at Golden State. Those two guys were incredible together.

Saw most great national league players of the 70's along with the Yankees in '77 and '78 World Series. Not memorable though.

Jordan against my Sac Kings on a couple occasions here in SacTown.

Magic, Kareem, and Showtime Lakers, several times, in the 80's at the Forum.

Saw Sosa hit three HRs at Wrigley and a 4th off the top of the fence if I recall correctly.

Saw McGwire v. Sosa at Wrigley in '98.

Went to several Ram's games in the 70's including Merlin Olson's last game. Nothing memorable though.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Let's do college

I've been to literally hundreds of college hockey, football and basketball games from 1968 to present ( young pup )

Football. Charles Woodson

Basketball-- Bill Walton

Hockey Paul Kariya

mark

Oh hey - Christian McCaffrey running all over Iowa at the 2016 Rose Bowl. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in the NFL.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

kirk gibson
    jordan...pick
    james harrison TD return .
    hockey...meh i guess the penguin "dynasty" but only saw in highlights none live

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Football - the 92-93 Cowboys.
    Baseball - the 75-76 Reds.
    Baskekball - the Bulls of the 90's... 2 three-peats.
    Hockey - N/A