Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

1953 A $5 Silver Star Note - Is this an offset error?

See picture. Notice the serial number on the back as well?? Is this rare?

Tagged:

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 12:14AM

Looks like a normal note to me. Nice condition, but it does not appear to be an error note. Welcome to the boards!

• You dont see the back to front printing on the face of the bill?

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but I'm just seeing the face printing through the paper.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Ignore the back side of the note and just look at the front. The back looks like its printed on the front. See below for a graded example. Looks very similar to the $5, no?

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 1:12PM

@bkellog1 said:
    Ignore the back side of the note and just look at the front. The back looks like its printed on the front. See below for a graded example. Looks very similar to the $5, no?

no...you're seeing the image of the back coming through with your scan as sellistore said above....an offset is when there is actual ink from one side to the other....look at some offset errors from Heritage archives and you will see the difference. the pic you posted does not show offset on front of note...the back image probably will show some black ink actually printed onto the back

edited November 12, 2017 3:18PM

You can try looking at the area where you think there is offset printing under magnification-10x would be good.

You should be able to see if there is ink sitting on top of the paper or if you are just seeing white paper fibers and the back printing showing through.

Authentication based on photos can be misleading because you can't see stuff like the ink sitting on the paper, like you can in person.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

B) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Thanks for the input. It really looks like there is ink on the front but I guess I can't be sure without magnification. Don't know why the back would come through like it does on this 1953 $5 but not the other one I own (also a 1953 A $5 Silver). Used to have a jewelers loop so I'll try and find that and report back.

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely no error.However,it seems to me from the pics that the note has some PVC damage,thus,you can see through the note.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency

PVC definitely makes paper money more transparent and when really bad can cause color inks to bleed right through the paper creating "fuzzy" color on the other side.

• If it were an offset error, the serial number on the back would be different than the one on the face.

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Yes. PVC damage.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ink looks heavy, maybe the print was made with a fresh ink change. Later currency seems to have less ink, lighter designs, and less transparency.