Metal compositions?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2017 8:10PM

Made by the U.S. Mint; the 1.5 inch size was made in bronze, gilt bronze and silver. All of this size were issued in the same finish, whatever you care to call it. All are rather common. See page 1463 of the Mega Red Book, third edition.

Other sizes exist in silver and gold.

Whitman Publishing LLC also included this information as a section in another recent book, 'American Gold and Silver: U.S. Mint Collector and Investor Coins and Medals, Bicentennial to Date'. A very worthwhile book, perhaps a little long on the description of the legislative action behind these items.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959..... Thanks for that information.... I was not aware of the book you mentioned... I will look for it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found info in current Red Book, didn't know they were listed there.

• Options
    edited November 12, 2017 10:04AM

I hadn't noticed that they were listed in the regular 2018 Red Book, but yes they are, pages 449-450.

Until about three years ago, the mintage figures on these were really hard to find. The AGW on the golds doesn't get printed often enough (certainly a major factor in the price of the small gold).

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017 1:09PM

Here are some online threads on the National Bicentennial Medal with more pics:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34496
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/national-bicentennial-medal.216522/

Here's some good info from dwhiz on CoinTalk. The largest version has over a troy pound of gold!

The National Bicentennial medals featuring the Statue of Liberty on the obverse and the Great Seal of the US on the reverse, were available in a variety of metals and sizes. The medals were designed by US Mint Chief Sculptor-Engraver, Frank Gasparro.

Here's a list of the sizes available, the metal content and the original selling price:

• 1-1/2" / Bronze / $5.00
    • 1-1/2" / Gold-plated Bronze / $15.00
    • 1-1/2" / Sterling Silver, Proof finish / 0.925 troy ounce of silver / $25.00
    • 3" / Sterling Silver, Antique finish / 7.822 troy ounces of silver / $150.00
    • 29/32" (0.906") / Gold, Proof finish / 0.37 troy ounces of gold / $100.00
    • 1-5/16" / Gold, Proof finish / 1.167 troy ounces of gold / $400.00
    • 3" / Gold, Proof finish / 13.18 troy ounces of gold / $4,000.00
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to believe that those medals are now more than 40 years old. Tempus Fugit.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    It's hard to believe that those medals are now more than 40 years old. Tempus Fugit.

My Aunt ordered several of the 1976 Silvers (which were really quite pricey at the time) and I remember her opening them at her kitchen table on the day they arrived from the Mint.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file