Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does color in coins add any value?

I've been collecting any coin I see with unusual coloration. Colored coins are actually my favorite coins to collect. Is there enough people that collect colored coins that adds any value to a coin with a cool color to it like in the picture of my penny's below?

Comments

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with 291fifth.........

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 4:33AM

Coins with nice color can be in demand by those who have that preference.

Bid on some on eBay and see if that answers your question.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many collectors pay premiums for colorful tarnish.... seems to be the 'in' thing right now.... Keep reading the posts here and you will get an idea of the types of tarnish that are in demand. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks guys!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Many collectors pay premiums for colorful tarnish.... seems to be the 'in' thing right now.... Keep reading the posts here and you will get an idea of the types of tarnish that are in demand. Cheers, RickO

You are hoot Ricko. ;)B) I have some of both.......blast white and toned.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are talking about "color" for a Lincoln cent that can generally mean one of two things:

1) The surface color lies somewhere on the spectrum between full red (as the coin was made) and a lustrous MS brown. Coins anywhere on this spectrum can be desirable, but those with full red color generally sell for the most.
    2) The coins has rainbow hues due to the presence of thin layers of surface contaminants that produce greens, reds, purples (or any other color). These are highly sought after and can trade for multiples of the price of a full red coin. For example, this is an example of a rainbow toned Lincoln:

Lincolns which are not mint state that have acquired color through whatever means are generally not desirable (i.e. no premium).

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes - color can change the price quite a bit. I try to get some nice color without breaking the bank.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would add if you do plan to buy toned coins, be careful as there are some unscrupulous people creating color artificially rather than allowing it to happen naturally.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file