Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unusual Quarter

I recently bought this quarter and some other coins from a woman off of facebook. As soon as I saw the quarter I was immediately interested in it because of the color and when I got home I decided to weight it. The quarter ended up being 2 grams under the standard weight. The quarter doesn't feel like it is made with a different metal but rather like the polish that was used on it was one of a penny. Does anybody know anything about this quarter? It's value/lack thereof?

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks counterfeit but why would someone bother? The lettering on the reverse looks too big.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Interesting, not that I can help with any answers.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is under weight and it looks kind of copper colored according to your pics, it could be missing the clad layers. It is something though that is really best to see in hand to be for sure.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not 2 grams light. Standard weight 5.67 grams.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

Actually the weight is about right for a circulated Bicentennial quarter. According to the Redbook, a clad Bicentennial quarter should weigh 5.67 g. I pulled a circulated quarter out of my pocket and weighed it on a scale from the same manufacturer but slightly more precise (2 place) and a circulated 1987 quarter weighed 5.48 g. The color, however, I cannot explain and as @morgandollar1878 stated, it may possibly be missing its outer layer. Or it just led a hard life over these past 40+ years and is showing its age. :)

Regardless, it is still a seldom seen Bicentennial quarter.

Night Hawk

Moo... I said Moo!
  • Options

Do you think it would be worth sending to get graded? I'm not sure I want to risk $30 because I'm a poor college student but if it was worth something I would be willing too.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    It looks counterfeit but why would someone bother? The lettering on the reverse looks too big.

It might be I'm not sure this is what it looks like next to my regular colored bicentennial

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

why did you waste a 2x2 holder on that?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a normal bi-centennial quarter that has spent time in the ground... I have dug quarters that look exactly like that..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum and keep looking at coins and asking questions here ...................no question is dumb if you heed the responses :smile:@PennyPincher69

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That is a normal bi-centennial quarter that has spent time in the ground... I have dug quarters that look exactly like that..... Cheers, RickO

^^^^ This.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

We call that 'environmental' damage
    to the surfaces of the coin.

It's due to many factors, mainly just
    how a coin was kept, where it fell
    in dirt or water, maybe plated, etc.

Please do not spend any of your money
    getting it certified. It's worth face value
    only........ not an error of any type.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PennyPincher69 said:
    Do you think it would be worth sending to get graded?

Absolutely not.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PennyPincher69 said:
    Do you think it would be worth sending to get graded? I'm not sure I want to risk $30 because I'm a poor college student but if it was worth something I would be willing too.

$30? Where did you get that number? Unless you piggyback on someone else's submission and can save on shipping and the invoice fee, you have to pay shipping (both ways), invoice fee, grading fee, and error attribution. I'd say closer to $100 (assuming you can use someone else's membership account, unless you have joined yourself already).

I see older quarters that color on occasion (I actually like the look of them), but the easy thing to do is to look at the edge of the coin. Do you see 3 layers? If so, then it is definitely not a missing clad layer coin.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PennyPincher69 said:

Just spend the coin. You have some of the best people in numismatics giving you good advice. Don't assume you know more about coins than they do.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please note;

I am sure that you doubt the members' opinions.

But, think about it: If it had any value, don't you think that your inbox would be loaded with offers?

Spend it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK asked: "$30? Where did you get that number?"

Check around. B)

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2017 11:52AM

your unusual quarter is worth 25 cents ... keep looking and welcome

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options

Thanks everyone! I'll just keep it because it looks cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file