Home Sports Talk

Winning 20 straight games is in the million to one range.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 12, 2017 6:47PM in Sports Talk

Congratulations to The Indians if they make it tonight (up 2-0 in the eighth).

The odds would be reduced of course as Cleveland was a bit better than average team going into the streak. Still a remarkable accomplishment.

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one question --- Will the Dodgers win a game before the Indians lose?? what is taking place with those two Teams at the same time right now is sort of remarkable.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kershaw tonight. Dodgers winning, plenty of game left though.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

and the Dodgers win!! I just hope that doesn't spell bad news for the Tribe. I just watched "MoneyBall" for the first time and it was OK for a Sports movie. today's game when the Indians go for the AL record will be at 12:10, about two hours from now, and you might enjoy the starter, Mike Clevinger. in an era of shaved heads he is a herky-jerky kind of guy, never looks like he's ready to pitch until he does. he has found his groove, though, with three games and 18 innings of scoreless ball during the Streak.

my sister will be at the game with her husband, I'm heading down on Friday with my family to sit in the Bleachers.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well 2 million to one now!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the win out! I like records. :)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I hope they win out ALL year including the playoffs.....sweep sweep sweep!! :)B)>:)

Well, that came to a crashing end. >:)

• dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

yeah what's the point to winning all those games during the regular season only to lose in the first round of the playoffs to the wild card team? They didn't look good either. So the question I have is, how did they win 22 in a row?

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:
    So the question I have is, how did they win 22 in a row?

by scoring more runs than the opposing teams they played (John Madden's response)

edited October 13, 2017 3:33PM

@dbtunr said:
    yeah what's the point to winning all those games during the regular season only to lose in the first round of the playoffs to the wild card team? They didn't look good either. So the question I have is, how did they win 22 in a row?

What's the point of your post? The playoffs are a brand new season and a 5 game playoff is a crap shoot. What were they supposed to do not win as many games as possible in the regular season? Lose on purpose? That streak was record breaking. Everyone goes through a rough patch. As bad as they played they almost beat the Yankees.

Posts like this is why people tend to hate on the Yankees and their fans. Be a gracious winner for goodness sakes.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

The point is maybe they should have had their players rested and ready to go. Then they wouldn't have to play a rag armed 2nd baseman in center field. I don't think that streak helped them. They seemed to have peaked way too early

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2017 4:56PM

@Justacommeman said:

@dbtunr said:

What's the point of your post? The playoffs are a brand new season and a 5 game playoff is a crap shoot. What were they supposed to do not win as many games as possible in the regular season? Lose on purpose? That streak was record breaking. Everyone goes through a rough patch. As bad as they played they almost beat the Yankees.

Posts like this is why people tend to hate on the Yankees and their fans. Be a gracious winner for goodness sakes.

mark

Exactly. You play to win each and every game. Peaking early or late is not a byproduct of effort. That's the way these things go . How much rest do players at this level need? To much rest and players lose their edge, too.

The truth is that outside about a one month stretch, the Indians were good but not great, and like most cases when teams or players perform above their heads for a period of time, they were due to revert back to their mean.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited October 13, 2017 6:20PM

Kipnis wasn't their centerfielder....ever. He was hurt all year and Tito made the move to get him in the line up. He only played centerfield the last 12 games of the season to prep him for the post season. So in a way they did exactly what you were professing. As you saw he has a second basemans arm. I was surprised by the move. I suppose Tito didn't want to put Kipnis at second and move Rameriz back to third and disrupt the chemistry there. He could have played Kipnis off the bench. In hindsight he probably should have went that route. Loyality to a veteran is commendable especially when it works. This was a failed experiment

The only time I remember this working was in 1968 when Mayo Smith played their stud defensive centerfielder Mickey Stanley at short stop in the World Series to make room for Al Kaline to play. Kaline was hurt all year but was Mr Tiger. Kaline hit and played great in right field in fhe WS . Stanley who never played short EVER in the majors played great and Jim Northrup who played center ( moved over from right ) had the game winning triple in game 7 when gold glover centerfielder Kurt Flood of St Louis misplayed it. Irony

mark

Hindsight is always better....right. ;)

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2017 1:16PM

Any surprise the Indians lost against the yankees? This is the same team that choked in the World Series last year. Mistake on the lake.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED