Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Serious Coin Roll Hunting

AuthorpaulAuthorpaul Posts: 10
edited October 8, 2017 6:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I thought after retiring I was gonna lose my mind especially after part of that retirement was after 50 years of rock drumming. Nope! Now that I started coin roll hunting daily and becoming a serious collector again, I have no time to lose my mind - maybe my eyesight!! Gonna try and catch up with some posts to see what everyone else has been up to.

Comments

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the fun.

Larry

• Options

@ldhair said:
    Welcome to the fun.

Thanks, Larry.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! Tell us more about your rock career!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck......eyes need exercise too!

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭

I searched approximately 200,000'$ In Kennedy halves. Found lots of errors and a fair amount of silver. It took up a lot of time, especially when it came to dumping. Some women at the banks indump were not happy campers.mthe nice ones got pizzas and candy for the trouble. It took approximately 2 years for me to do that amount. Eye strain was prevalent. Lots of big "markers" out there. I marked five hundred and only seen one coin on one occasion. I had fun.....maybe when I retire.
    I now enjoy bill searching.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, nice to have a great hobby like this to keep us retirees busy!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. I searched nickels until 1977 and have searched quarters since about 1966 and collected them since '72. It's always been a blast.

I search all denominations enough to keep up with them.

Welcome aboard.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Authorpaul.... Welcome aboard..... have been retired for years, never had a boring day.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. I do not roll hunt anymore, but back in the day ( 1961-1964) I would get a bag of coins each Wednesday from my bank. Sure was fun!

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Coin hunt is always fun and safe during raining /snowing day. ;)

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:
    If you wanna talk serious coin roll hunting, I'm down. Part of the $1,000,000 searched club. :)

Welcome to the forum. Roll hunting is what rekindled my interest too.

It's surely a lot different than when I initially started in 1966. Back then we would get loose bags of nickels and pennies from the bank which were all parking meter money. The amount of wheats and Indian heads were insane as were the war nickels, buffaloes, and the occasionally V nickel. Semi and key dates were still quite common to find. Now it's mainly errors I look for more than the wheats.

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    Good luck......eyes need exercise too!

Thanks, Mannie, but after looking at as many coins as I do in a week, my eyes go on strike after about the second box!

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Welcome! Tell us more about your rock career!

It wasn't all that glamorous, @ms70 I started in 1966, played to '75 and moved to Arizona where my coin collecting and music took a standby as I raised a family and ran a couple businesses. The only real music I was involved with in Arizona (25 years there) was some studio work for Chuck Mangione and I filled for a couple of songs on a collective CD produced locally in Phoenix. After that I basically just did some sit ins now and then and didn't get back into it professionally until 2006, some 7 years after moving back to my little town in Western NY.

• Options

@TurboSnail said:
    Welcome. Coin hunt is always fun and safe during raining /snowing day. ;)

That's probably when I'm really gonna hit it hard, during the winter months!

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Authorpaul.... Welcome aboard..... have been retired for years, never had a boring day.... Cheers, RickO

Thanks, @ricko

• Options

@cladking said:
    Welcome. I searched nickels until 1977 and have searched quarters since about 1966 and collected them since '72. It's always been a blast.

I search all denominations enough to keep up with them.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks, @cladking! It can be enjoyable and disappointing at the same time. It's all in how ya look at it and what you expect to get from it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file