Home Sports Talk
Options

A funny thing happened to Aaron Judge on his way to the HOF.

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

Impressive. Sanchez as well. They need to work on his catching skills. Only thing really holding him back

Sanchez is fine with framing pitches and excellent with throwing. The particular skill he needs work on is blocking balls in the dirt. I think with his all around game, they might just have to live with the passed balls if he doesn't improve on them.

Daniel
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Girardi had Judge in the two hole last night. why does he keep moving him up when years of logic dictates that he should lower him?? I still think 5-6 is a better spot but if moving him to the two-hole for three K's is what you want, then it was brilliant.

Aaron Judge may lead the league in Walks and have 40+ HR's, but he also leads the AL in strike-outs and will surpass 200 by seasons end(sitting at 190 right now). to my way of thinking that is a bad trade off that needs the Manager's help.

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

in the 2 hole he has Sanchez right behind him to protect him followed by Holiday, Castro, Gregorius. He's still walking and has an OBP of 411 and scoring a ton. In the 2 hole last night, he walked and scored their only run in the 1st inning.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2017 6:09PM

At a .411 OBP I'd have him batting second as well. He LEADS the American League in on base percentage. I'd rather have him getting five plate appearances at #2 then possibly four plate appearances at #7.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

sure, the number looks good but the strike-outs really distort the picture. he's had approximately 500 AB's and 200 K's, so if he doesn't get on base he strikes out. that's sort of what you expect from a DH in the 4-5 hole.

MLB loves statistics but there are times when there isn't a stat that could really clear the picture. how often has Judge come to the plate in the two hole and killed a rally or prevented one from starting??

• Options

he's started or continued way more rallies then he has killed. If there is a guy on 3rd and a base open, they walk him. A strikeout with the bases loaded is not as bad as a double play

• Options
    edited September 14, 2017 10:39AM

he's started or continued way more rallies then he has killed

proof, please.

let's look at what stats are available.
    AB --- 490.
    Hits ---134.
    BB's --- 109.
    K's --- 193.

he's only batting .273 so he isn't really affecting much by hitting the ball, he doesn't get a hit very often on average, one out of every four non-walk plate appearances. if you add everything up he's only put the ball in play 53 times when he hasn't walked or had a hit.

I'm not being critical, only saying that I believe he would help more and actually be a better hitter lower down.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, let's just say the guy's a potato 'cause he can mash :D

Daniel
  • Options

Aaron Judge reminds me of Mike Napoli, only with more power. I saw some footage of one he hit a few days ago and it went a long way. Nap never cheated the Team with his swing and as an Indian last season he hit some long HR's and a couple of monumental foul balls. one of those went down the LF line, clearly foul, but it was so high and long it went completely out of the Park and hit in the smoking area!!! when it bounced I bet it went over 50' into the air!!!

• Options

Yet he leads the league in on base percentage. Can't say more then that

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

two more HR's for Aaron Judge, he has absolutely crucified the Baltimore Orioles this year.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

SLG .589 the man is a slugger. OBP and BA are fine but few players can SLG over .500.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Overrated

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

@estang said:
    Overrated

How can someone who makes the league minimum and will for the next few years, while leading in so many categories be overrated?

• Options

I think overrated is the wrong term, un-proven is probably better.

one season doesn't prove him and that is/was the entire premise of the thread: the Media hyped him way, way too much leading up to the All Star game. even though Judge has good HR/RBI/BB/OBP stats it really doesn't mean he will attain the greatness the media hyped. he may, and if he does I will be the first to admit it if anyone cares. I just think that thus far, coming to the end of his rookie year, he is unproven and needs to carry through to next year and beyond.

over the years there have been others who came out of the gate quick and failed to be the long term player the media thought they'd be. it's a hard game.

• Options

another category that Judge leads the majors in: 3-2 counts. He sees a ton of pitches. Another reason to bat him 2nd. He works the count, and tires out the pitcher even if he doesn't get on base. Over 160 3-2 counts so far this season, 25% of his total at bats.

• Options

so if he batted 5-6 he'd only get to 2-2 before he whiffed??? that's absurd.

if you watch any MLB one thing is clear: once a pitcher gets a guy down 0-2 or 1-2 he generally nibbles at the outside corner, that's why Judge gets to 3-2 so often and walks so much. the same thing would probably happen wherever he bats. he isn't great at working the count so much as the pitchers are working him, not giving in to his power. every Team but Baltimore.

in that regard the two hole IS a good spot for him.

• Options

Judge with a homer in a 2-1 win over the Twins.

mark

• Options

this game was a good playoff preview and the Teams played it as such. my feeling is that the Yankees are the better of the two. assuming that things end up with NY vs. Minnesota in the Big Apple I would think both Teams will try to position their respective pitching staffs for that one game.

oh yeah, Aaron Judge continued to do what he has done all season, hit an HR about every 10 plate appearances. pretty remarkable for any player let alone a rookie.

• Options

The Yanks pitched their 6th best starter last night, followed by 4th and 3rd today and tomorrow. They are keeping #1 Severino out. MN will not have faced Severino all year and he will be ready with 5 days rest for the wildcard playoff. He is top 3 or 4 in AL for ERA, strikeouts, etc. A few more bad starts by Sale and he passes him in ERA. I'm not sure the Yanks want to sweep MN here and allow LA to pass them. Would not be surprised if they "rest" a few position players for the last 2 games.

Judge has now homered against every AL team this year except KC and they still play KC one more time this year.

• Options

**MN will not have faced Severino all year and he will be ready with 5 days rest for the wildcard playoff. **

The Twins may get an early preview of Yankees pitcher Luis Severino, who will start Wednesday's series finale on regular rest, as posted on another website. it would be silly to "hide" him as you suggest.

• Options

Tanaka is pitching tomorrow. I strongly disagree on the hiding. The more you see a pitcher, the better you do. That's why the Yanks pound Price and didn't lose to Sale this year in his 5 starts

• Options
    edited September 19, 2017 6:46PM

part of the reason Severino is doing so well is unfamiliarity along with the fact that he's pretty good, so I partly agree with you. if he pitches tomorrow or not and then starts in the Wildcard game it really won't matter much. that's why I said that hiding him is silly, but then I don't have much respect for the Managing skill of Joe Girardi.

check out the link.
    mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/09/19/yankees-decide-to-keep-luis-severino-on-regular-rest-give-twins-potential-wild-card-preview/

• Options

watching Yanks right now and they just said, you are correct, Severino to start tomorrow as they can then pitch him in 3 remaining games on regular rest, including the last game of the year. He could also be held back on the last game and pitch the wild card game. I guess they figure this gives the Yanks the best chance at catching the Red Sox.

• Options

I think the big series will be Boston vs. Houston, if NY is close they may catch them in those last days.

• Options

What does Houston have to play for at this point?

• Options

they should want to have Home-Field advantage.

Houston isn't important in the equation except for..............................the fact that they are a really good Team and Boston will probably need to beat them to win their division. I doubt that they will just roll over.

• Options
    edited September 20, 2017 10:27PM

Judge hits his 45th homer and climbs to 100 RBI's. He will get his fair share of MVP votes and rightfully so.

mark

• Options

he seems to have heated up lately, just in time for the playoffs. the biggest question going forward will be what did the Twins learn about the Yankees in their last series??

• Options

48 hr's now with 2 today. He has to be back in MVP talk.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:

It seemed like he kind of lost his way after the all star game and it took a while to settle down again. Hopefully he can rise to the occasion and perform well in the higher pressure environment of playoff baseball , hes on a good run here at the right time. A lot of regular season stars don't have what it takes .... David Price I'm looking at you ............chump.

• Options

AL Rookie-of-the-Year shoe-in, AL MVP probably two or three based at least in part because of where he plays. apologies to Mark.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    he seems to have heated up lately, just in time for the playoffs. the biggest question going forward will be what did the Twins learn about the Yankees in their last series??

They should have learned that when they get a good pitching performance (Santana) they better find a way to score some runs.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2017 9:04PM

@dbtunr said:

I guess it's down to him and Altuve.

Judge will win the home run title in a landslide as well as best on base percentage as well as slugging percentage. It looks like he will finish in the top 5 or better in rbi's as well. If he hits 50 and breaks McGwire's rookie home run record it will help his cause.

mark

• Options

He just launched #49. He is red hot

mark

• Options
    edited September 25, 2017 12:27PM

Now has 108 RBI's which is #2 (tie) in AL, and 7 behind Cruz. He also leads AL in number of pitches per at bat

1st in HR's, runs, walks, SLG, OBP, pitches per at bat
    2nd in RBI

his 50 HR is #1 all-time for a rookie
    his 118 walks is #1 all-time for a rookie

still has 6+ games to go

Seriously, this guy is the MVP

edited to update stats after second HR today

• Options

just hit #50. He missed a 3rd hr today in his first at bat by a few feet as well. He is dialed in

• Options

Amazing.

mark

• Options

those numbers do seem to support the case, he has surged in the last 7-10 games.

• Options

Another cool Judge stat. He has now hit a HR against EVERY AL team this year. Before today, he had none against KC. So you can argue he beat up Baltimore, but in fact, he hurt every team.

He also had two HR's stolen from him. One on a great catch by Jackie Bradley Jr in a Sunday night game at Boston. Another by a Yankees fan in NY were the umps ruled incorrectly against him. He wound up with a triple on that though.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:

I think he probably will be; HOF voters like the power hitters. But just so there's no mistake, he has been nowhere near as valuable as Altuve this year. I found this interesting, maybe some of you will, too. Altuve has an OPS+ 0f 168, Judge is at 164; if Judge is having a great game today, let's call it a tie. But if you break that down by the game score when they come up to bat, it ain't no tie.

When the game is within 2 runs or less: Altuve 195 > Judge 124

When up or down by 3 or more runs: Judge 221 > Altuve 131.

So in the 2 out of 3 at bats when the game is close Altuve outhits Judge by a mile. In the 1 out of 3 at bats when the game is not close, Judge outhits Altuve by a mile. When you translate this into Win Probability Added, Altuve is second in the league (to Trout) with 3.6, and Judge is nowhere close to the top 10 with 1.4. Altuve, a second baseman, is a much better hitter than Aaron Judge, a first baseman. Like Ryan Howard before him, Judge should not be the MVP, but there's a good chance that he will.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

The month of September is clutch time.

Judge is giving the team and fans his best in this most critical month.

A sheer joy to watch how this young man goes about his business.

What a stellar rookie season; the kid will be a fan favorite for years to come.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing against Judge as he has had a phenomenal season and is fantastic for the game in so many ways, but if Jose Altuve does not win the MVP it is a crime against humanity.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@dbtunr said:

I think he probably will be; HOF voters like the power hitters. But just so there's no mistake, he has been nowhere near as valuable as Altuve this year. I found this interesting, maybe some of you will, too. Altuve has an OPS+ 0f 168, Judge is at 164; if Judge is having a great game today, let's call it a tie. But if you break that down by the game score when they come up to bat, it ain't no tie.

When the game is within 2 runs or less: Altuve 195 > Judge 124

When up or down by 3 or more runs: Judge 221 > Altuve 131.

So in the 2 out of 3 at bats when the game is close Altuve outhits Judge by a mile. In the 1 out of 3 at bats when the game is not close, Judge outhits Altuve by a mile. When you translate this into Win Probability Added, Altuve is second in the league (to Trout) with 3.6, and Judge is nowhere close to the top 10 with 1.4. Altuve, a second baseman, is a much better hitter than Aaron Judge, a first baseman. Like Ryan Howard before him, Judge should not be the MVP, but there's a good chance that he will.

Stats like that can be deceiving. There was a game against Baltimore early in the year Yanks losing 9-1. Judge hits a 3 run hr to make it 9-4 Baltimore but it spurs the Yanks on and they come back and win that game. There were a few like that this year.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Nothing against Judge as he has had a phenomenal season and is fantastic for the game in so many ways, but if Jose Altuve does not win the MVP it is a crime against humanity.

I do think he wins it and deservedly so. Judge made it interesting though. I guess it depends on if "they" look at the glamour stats or take a deep dive into the total.

mark

• Options

@DM23HOF said:

That's fallacy #1 of MVP analysis. Every game is clutch time, from April through October, until your team is eliminated. The standings at the end of the year do not reflect any additional points for September wins vs. April wins. Altuve carried his team to a playoff spot before September ever arrived, and September is the opposite of "clutch time" for the Astros. Had Judge played as well in July and August as Altuve did, the Yankees wouldn't be playing for anything in September either. Like Ryan Howard in 2008, you don't get credit for lifting your team out of a hole that you dug yourself.

@DM23HOF said:
    Stats like that can be deceiving. There was a game against Baltimore early in the year Yanks losing 9-1. Judge hits a 3 run hr to make it 9-4 Baltimore but it spurs the Yanks on and they come back and win that game. There were a few like that this year.

And here's fallacy #2. Yes, I'm sure there were a few games like that, for both the Yankees and the Astros and for every other team. And the guy who got his team from 9-1 to 9-4 gets some of the credit, as he should. And the guy who got the next run gets some, and the guy who got the next run gets some, and so on. Unless you're saying that the guy who starts the comeback gets credit for the entire comeback (which would be absurdly silly), then Judge's WPA reflects his appropriate share. And if you are saying that, then I imagine that the Yankess also had a few games where they made comebacks, Judge got credit for the final, winning run and what you're doing is saying he shouldn't get that credit, but instead it should all go to whoever it was that started the comeback several innings earlier. In other words, don't bother looking at what happened in one game when somebody has already added up what happened in every game. Looking at one or a handful of games would be terribly deceiving; that's why we have stats like WPA.

Fact: Jose Altuve has been more valuable than Aaron Judge this year. If you are seeing something that is incompatible with that known fact, then you either need to ignore it or take another look.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2017 2:25PM

@dallasactuary said:

@DM23HOF said:

That's fallacy #1 of MVP analysis. Every game is clutch time, from April through October, until your team is eliminated. The standings at the end of the year do not reflect any additional points for September wins vs. April wins. Altuve carried his team to a playoff spot before September ever arrived, and September is the opposite of "clutch time" for the Astros. Had Judge played as well in July and August as Altuve did, the Yankees wouldn't be playing for anything in September either. Like Ryan Howard in 2008, you don't get credit for lifting your team out of a hole that you dug yourself.

@DM23HOF said:

And here's fallacy #2. Yes, I'm sure there were a few games like that, for both the Yankees and the Astros and for every other team. And the guy who got his team from 9-1 to 9-4 gets some of the credit, as he should. And the guy who got the next run gets some, and the guy who got the next run gets some, and so on. Unless you're saying that the guy who starts the comeback gets credit for the entire comeback (which would be absurdly silly), then Judge's WPA reflects his appropriate share. And if you are saying that, then I imagine that the Yankess also had a few games where they made comebacks, Judge got credit for the final, winning run and what you're doing is saying he shouldn't get that credit, but instead it should all go to whoever it was that started the comeback several innings earlier. In other words, don't bother looking at what happened in one game when somebody has already added up what happened in every game. Looking at one or a handful of games would be terribly deceiving; that's why we have stats like WPA.

Fact: Jose Altuve has been more valuable than Aaron Judge this year. If you are seeing something that is incompatible with that known fact, then you either need to ignore it or take another look.

Where in my last post was I debating about Judge vs Altuve or talking about MVP? I agree every game counts. Yet in these waning days, especially with the playoffs looming, it is important to finish strong. That's what Judge is doing. Would you rather him swoon in September?

Also, you are attributing someone else's post to me in your second quote above— so you need to "take another look" at that fact.

It seems you are hung up on the MVP debate; you are welcome to argue that with someone who wants to argue it with you. I don't vote for MVP; I just wait with a modicum of curiosity to see what the voters decide. Overall I am not a fan very concerned with the subjective voting awards; I simply enjoy watching (and collecting) the players I admire.

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    Also, you are attributing someone else's post to me in your second quote above— so you need to "take another look" at that fact.

My apologies for that.

• Options

Thank you, all good. I actually agree Altuve is the front runner for MVP and that April games matter— which is why I always get frustrated when my team manager seems to act like they don't with a ho-hum attitude, lol.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judge is rookie of the year not MVP. I heard some clown on a Red Sox broadcast, Tom Caron maybe, saying benintendi should win it ....... not even close