Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1966 penny

I have a 1966 penny with intensely thick line that goes around Abe which is very visible. Anyone know what this is considered if anything at all or normal? Also the bold letters are so defined and deep set even on reverse. Never quite seen one like this. A gorgeous coinThe FG initials on reverse looks doubled and any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

![,(https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/i0/57aolphcrqcm.jpg "")

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a very nicely struck coin. I don't see anything in particular that looks out of the ordinary as far as a "line around Abe" that you reference.

What I see in your images appears to be an artifact of your lighting, there does appear to be perhaps a bit of "browning" of the coin in the fields in your last obverse image. The "halo" around Abe may be the places where normal contact by hands in commerce would not occur due to protection by the devices. The absence of contact would allow those portions of the coin to stay red longer.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like maybe a die crack going across his head.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

I don't see anything out of the ordinary except maybe a small die crack on the head in of the pictures. I can't tell if there is any doubling happening on the VG as the picture is too blurry. In general it looks like a really well struck penny to me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a very well struck cent.... other than what may be a small die crack on Lincoln's head... or maybe a die scratch.... I see nothing out of the ordinary beyond a nice looking cent. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

typical uncirculated specimen.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's nicely struck! i agree with others about the die crack on the bust of lincoln.

• Options

Thanks guys! It's a gorgeous coin. Definitely a keeper!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file