Home Sports Talk

Elliott suspended 6 games

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 11, 2017 11:21AM in Sports Talk

For domestic violence.

Dimeman won't be pleased..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me neither. He may be guilty of something but he is paying the penalty for those who got off too easy. I say suspend him for the remainder of preseason games.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I don't advocate Domestic Violence, but I know what turns Mr. Hand into Mr. Fist." --- Sam Kinison.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are not a real Cowboy until you have a mugshot.

He's probably lucky that it isn't a longer suspension.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Me neither. He may be guilty of something but he is paying the penalty for those who got off too easy. I say suspend him for the remainder of preseason games.

And send him to bed without milk and cookies, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • zippcityzippcity Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭

it's the cowboy way, should have been suspended for the entire season.

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady got 4 games for a wisp of air, not proven, just assumed.

Elliott, IF...IF the allegations are proven true, I say ban him for life.

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

As a Cowboys fan, very disappointing in terms of the player and upcoming season. However, after reading the letter from the NFL, the sections of the letter from Goodell to the owners with the domestic violence policy and the options afforded the player under the CBA - it's pretty clear the bar for violating this policy is much lower than the bar for a court case to be brought by a prosecutor. All the NFL really needs to decide is that it appears something happened that involved physical violence. Unlike a prosecutor, they don't need to explain how, a sequence of events, etc. Their policy merely states that the penalty can be applied if there was physical violence.

That said, given the 4 external advisors and their credibility (one a CEO of a Women's organization, a former state attorney general, former US attorney and HOF player) and the fact that the commissioner is given such broad power under article 46 of the collective bargaining agreement - I don't see any chance this is overturned on appeal.

If the commissioner were to reduce by a couple of games upon appeal (which he will appeal), I think he should not continue the fight in court and just serve the suspension. If there is no reduction, it will likely go to court, but I don't see any chance of Elliott winning in court as the court case will be about the NFL's procedures and adherence to them and not about Elliott's innocence or guilt.

Bottom line, as mentioned above, the penalty is stiff now because of the embarrassment the NFL experienced with the lame penalties assigned to others (at least initially).

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

outside the game Elliot appears to be a moron , this isn't the only example of that. I feel alright assuming he is guilty.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Game left me when Barry Sanders retired.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if he is guilty or not. But he should not be suspended until found guilty. It looks like a he said/she said. If he guilty he should be suspended, but this is pure BS.

edited August 13, 2017 12:15PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    I don't know if he is guilty or not. But he should not be suspended until found guilty. It looks like a he said/she said. If he guilty he should be suspended, but this is pure BS.

He has already been found guilty by the NFL of domestic violence policy. Has nothing to do with the US courts. When you enter the league you are subject to this. Everyone is. If he has any other type of transgression he will be suspended for a year.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

He has already been found guilty by the NFL of domestic violence policy. Has nothing to do with the US courts. When you enter the league you are subject to this. Everyone is. If he has any other type of transgression he will be suspended for a year.

mark

How can the NFL just say he is guilty if it hasn't been proven.....like I said TOTAL BS!!!!!!!

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

mark

How can the NFL just say he is guilty if it hasn't been proven.....like I said TOTAL BS!!!!!!!

Do you understand there is a difference between criminal guilt and being held responsible for poor behavior that is in violation of league rules? If not, read up on that before making foolish declarations.

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

mark

Do you understand there is a difference between criminal guilt and being held responsible for poor behavior that is in violation of league rules? If not, read up on that before making foolish declarations.

I'm saying it's total BS if he didn't do it.

The NFL said he did when presented with all the details and witnesses. It's a simple as that.

mark

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

No excuse is acceptable when it comes to hitting a woman. And I've gotta admit, even as a 35+ year Cowboys fan, I don't know enough of the story to comment on Zeke in particular, but the low burden of proof bar and huge penalties seems ripe for extortion...against any player.

Maybe this happened under the watches of Landry/Schramm, but back then I think the Cowboys were hated more for their on field skill than their off field transgressions that seem to be the norm under Jerry.

Disappointing to say the least. The sport (all sports) has become politicized and the salaries make huge targets. All the more reason these fools need to walk away from off field confrontation.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

@vintagefun said:
    No excuse is acceptable when it comes to hitting a woman. And I've gotta admit, even as a 35+ year Cowboys fan, I don't know enough of the story to comment on Zeke in particular, but the low burden of proof bar and huge penalties seems ripe for extortion...against any player.

Maybe this happened under the watches of Landry/Schramm, but back then I think the Cowboys were hated more for their on field skill than their off field transgressions that seem to be the norm under Jerry.

Disappointing to say the least. The sport (all sports) has become politicized and the salaries make huge targets. All the more reason these fools need to walk away from off field confrontation.

Agree. Stay out of weed shops. Stay out of night clubs. If you must go don't punch out the DJ. Don't drive 70 mpg over the speed limit. Don't pull down the top of a woman at a parade. Don't put your hands on a woman. I guess that's harder then it sounds

mark

Its not necessarily his fault per se, the average NFL football player is dumber than a sack of doorknobs to begin with. On top of that add a culture where , if they perform on the field , the scumbags and alumni ballwashers that populate high school and college football programs go to great lengths to sweep things under the rug for them .

Plus they get smashed in the head on a regular basis. :D

It's unfortunate because most NFL players are hardworking, achievement oriented men who go home to their families and avoid trouble and headlines. Unfortunately, it's 1% of the players that generate 90% of the headlines.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Too true Tim. I just wish Cowboys were 1/32 of the issues but they just seem to be higher under Jerry.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

More teams are drafting guys with character rather then characters.

mark

I've never liked Jerry Jones. He fired the best coach ever (to me) on the first day and I have never liked the way he runs the team. It use to be a class act. Now it is what it is. What can I say.....I have been a die hard Cowboy fan since they came into the NFL and I will stay a fan forever.

That being said I still say if he did it OK...suspend him. But if not the NFL has no right to suspend him. I know he has an off field problem and someone needs to address that. These guys get paid millions to play a game and can't seem to stay out of trouble.

GO COWBOYS....with or without #21!!!

You will be just fine with McFadden

mark

@Justacommeman said:
    You will be just fine with McFadden

mark

Mark.....you forgot the wink symbol. You are kidding right? Elliot is the best RB in the NFL right now. McFadden is a huge drop off.

edited August 13, 2017 5:51PM

No I meant it. Unless your offensive line robs a bank and and gets caught you will be fine. Your O line is amazing.

mark

@Justacommeman said:
    No I meant it. Unless your offensive line robs a bank and and gets caught you will be fine. Your O line is amazing.

mark

Do you realize that we lost some of our o-line to free agency......and a bunch of our defense.....which wasn't that great to start with. We will have to score a lot of points and have ball possession to win games this year. I'm trying to prepare myself for a less than great year. It would have been tuff with Zeke. Without him......................

It's still the best line in the league.

mark

McFadden is a capable backup but his long history of injuries should compel the Cowboys to have a backup to the backup plan. Not sure if Alfred Morris is it.

To me Morris is better than McFadden.

On the O-line...we will see when the season starts.

I hate free agency...I hate the salary cap...I hate Jerry Jones......BUT I LOVE THE COWBOYS!!!!

I also HATE players that act like idiots off the field.....I mean GROW UP ALREADY!!!!

edited August 13, 2017 6:54PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    To me Morris is better than McFadden.

On the O-line...we will see when the season starts.

I hate free agency...I hate the salary cap...I hate Jerry Jones......BUT I LOVE THE COWBOYS!!!!

I also HATE players that act like idiots off the field.....I mean GROW UP ALREADY!!!!

Both backs have a lot of miles on them. Morris was a viable feature back about 3-4 years ago. That's a long time in the NFL. Since his rookie season with WASH, his YPC has decreased every season from 4.8 in 2012 to 3.5 last year.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimeman-

Zeke has already proven in his short tenure that he's a knucklehead who is seriously challenged when it comes to making prudent decisions off the field. If you merely slap a guy like that on the wrists, it's only a matter of time before he blackens both eyes of the league. It's quite simple: If you don't want to be suspended for almost half a season, don't continually place yourself in situations that could tarnish the brand.

As for whether or not there's actual guilt involved, that's becoming more and more inconsequential in the NFL. Look no further than your own team. Does the name Lucky Whitehead ring a bell? Dude was falsely linked to a crime he did not commit, yet the Cowboys refused to reverse course after they cut bait with him. Why? Because he had a track record of acting a fool, that's why.

Your franchise may not produce postseason success, but it does foster a culture of deplorable behavior. Make no mistake, the current list of Cowboys who have had brushes with law does not stop and start with Ezekiel Elliott. Methinks too many people within the DC organization are unwilling to rotate that pointing finger 180°.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

With large salary's and ego filling fan adulation comes a sense of invincibility.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Harold Henderson, who was appointed by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to hear the appeal, also has denied a request by Elliott's team to have the woman who accused him of domestic violence attend the hearing, Rapoport reported. In addition, Henderson won't allow the league to use notes it compiled during an interview with the accuser as part of its case during the appeal. Forensic evidence obtained by the league during its investigation will be allowed to be presented, Rapoport added.

Looks like a sham to me. The "victim" not allowed to be there or notes taken...and the fact there wasn't even enough evidence to even charge him!

TOTAL BOGUS!!!

If EE loses this appeal I think the Cowboys will be in deep DoDo. We need to keep the Defense off the field with the ground control game.....especially against the Giants in game 1. OBJ makes our DB's look like they are wearing lead shoes with grease on their hands. Good grief OBJ could have a season in one game!

Did he hire the guy that represented Brady? It may be that he can appeal and play the whole season then get 6 games to start next season like what happened to Brady when his thing didn't work out.

That would be better for the team , and as stupid as Elliot is he will implode in the off season and they could cut the dimwit loose over the summer. He can go play catch with johnny football and get lit and slap women around to his hearts content.

Then that moron jerry jones can hire him back and cut him again , lather rinse and repeat

@bronco2078 said:
    Did he hire the guy that represented Brady? It may be that he can appeal and play the whole season then get 6 games to start next season like what happened to Brady when his thing didn't work out.

That would be better for the team , and as stupid as Elliot is he will implode in the off season and they could cut the dimwit loose over the summer. He can go play catch with johnny football and get lit and slap women around to his hearts content.

Then that moron jerry jones can hire him back and cut him again , lather rinse and repeat

So you believe this women that changes her story every time and does not have enough credibility for anybody to bring charges. The whole thing is a farce.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully the NFL doesn't lessen his suspension. It gets tiresome watching people excusing reprehensible conduct because someone plays for their team.

Ray Rice wasn't convicted of domestic assault in the US court system either (his domestic violence case was dismissed). His attorney described what happened with his then fiancee as "little more than a misunderstanding".

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    Hopefully the NFL doesn't lessen his suspension. It gets tiresome watching people excusing reprehensible conduct because someone plays for their team.

Ray Rice wasn't convicted of domestic assault in the US court system either (his domestic violence case was dismissed). His attorney described what happened with his then fiancee as "little more than a misunderstanding".

Robb

There is a BIG difference between this case and Ray Rice. Rice was caught in film doing the assault. Whereas this case is based on the information of a women with no credibility whatsoever.

So the difference is that Elliott didnt get caught on tape. Got it

m

@Justacommeman said:
    So the difference is that Elliott didnt get caught on tape. Got it

m

No....the difference is she can't get her lies and story straight.

Suspension upheld. 6 games.

However, he can play in game 1 before he serves the suspension

m

edited September 5, 2017 6:39PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Suspension upheld. 6 games.

However, he can play in game 1 before he serves the suspension

m

What a crock! I've lost faith in the judicial system........wait a minute.......this had nothing to do with justice. This was the Commish playing GOD! All it takes is a women to tell a pack of lies....and different stories at different times to boot...and if the Commish doesn't like you......boom! What a joke! Somebody needs to take the Commish to court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling this will go to court.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

If I was Jerry and the Billionaire he is......I would spare NO expense in trying to take down the Commish!

He is a total jerk!

I'm surprised it wasn't reduced to 4 games.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Should have been dropped altogether......and the Commish suspended forever!!!! What a JERK!

edited September 5, 2017 8:07PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Should have been dropped altogether......and the Commish suspended forever!!!! What a JERK!

That was never going to happen. Zeke has been an embarrassment to the league since he's come in. He was never going to walk from this. I've always suspected more of a cumulative penalty. The NFL to its credit has been trying to address the knuckleheads in the league. This could be a good thing for Elliott in the long run.

BTW Jerry Jones backed the commissioner in the Brady case. When Goodell started in 2005 the Cowboys were worth 1.0 billion dollars. Thy are now worth 4.0 billion dollars. Fact is Roger has been great for the NFL on the business side. They are trying to work out a contract that will keep him through 2024.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

That was never going to happen. Zeke has been an embarrassment to the league since he's come in. He was never going to walk from this. I've always suspected more of a cumulative penalty. The NFL to its credit has been trying to address the knuckleheads in the league. This could be a good thing for Elliott in the long run.

BTW Jerry Jones backed the commissioner in the Brady case. When Goodell started in 2005 the Cowboys were worth 1.0 billion dollars. Thy are now worth 4.0 billion dollars. Fact is Roger has been great for the NFL on the business side. They are trying to work out a contract that will keep him through 2024.

mark

Are you REALLY giving Roger credit for the Cowboys going from 1 to 4 Billion!! Come on! The guy is a complete jerk!

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

mark

Are you REALLY giving Roger credit for the Cowboys going from 1 to 4 Billion!! Come on! The guy is a complete jerk!

Actually all the NFL franchises went up multiples just not the Cowboys so yes the boss gets a lot of the credit and will be rewarded

mark