Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check these holders for me?

I just bought my first coins that aren't in a slab. A few have some nice toning in hand and I want to make sure these are being stored optimally. They're not that valuable but they're my first coins.

Are these holders okay for long term storage? I believe the plastic ones are called flips? There are three sizes of cardboard ones. I'm assuming coins stored in newer NGC slabs are safe. Thanks.

PS - prices shown aren't what I paid. Thanks to a CU member for giving me a very nice deal (according to Charlton, anyway).

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. They look fine. The plastic ones are called flips and the cardboard ones are called 2x2's (2 by 2). The flips look to be Mylar which is what you want. Older ones were made using PVC and plastic softeners that can damage a coin. Do they feel crisp, sort of stiff and crinkley so to speak or soft and plyable like say a really thin gummy bear. You want stiff & crinkley

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top one is an ICCS holder. They have historically been the major player for Canadian coinage, though they have needlessly ceded some of their majority position to PCGS in recent years. If I recall correctly, ICCS flips have the coin in a protective capsule within the flip. They all look nice; I love Canadian and Newfoundland coinage.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TradernikTradernik Posts: 111 ✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 7:22PM

@CascadeChris said:
    Do they feel crisp, sort of stiff and crinkley so to speak or soft and plyable like say a really thin gummy bear. You want stiff >& crinkley

Thanks Chris. Yes, they seem to be the crinkley type, not really soft and pliable. Good to know they can stay in the cardboard 2x2's safely.

• Options

@TomB said:
    The top one is an ICCS holder. They have historically been the major player for Canadian coinage, though they have needlessly ceded some of their majority position to PCGS in recent years. If I recall correctly, ICCS flips have the coin in a protective capsule within the flip. They all look nice; I love Canadian and Newfoundland coinage.

Thanks Tom.

Right you are, I just checked the ICCS coin and it is indeed in a protective capsule that doesn't seem to be easily opened. I will leave it in there.

I did have some questions about ICCS grading and how it compares to PCGS/NGC. There is some opinion available in threads. Generally people seem to feel that they are more conservative than PCGS/NGC. Makes me wonder of there's a play to be made cracking ICCS coins out of the flips and resubmitting to the U.S. firms. I've never seen a U.S. coin in an ICCS holder though. Saw a few UK coins.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure what the other side of the stapled 2x2s look like - rounded or pointed areas of the staple have been known to cause scratches when removing or stacking/putting quite a few together in a box.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2017 9:12PM

@davewesen said:
    I am not sure what the other side of the stapled 2x2s look like - rounded or pointed areas of the staple have been known to cause scratches when removing or stacking/putting quite a few together in a box.

Ah, I see. Yes, the other side of the 2x2's show the 'legs' of the staples and some of them jut out a bit. I can see how they might scratch up another coin if improperly stacked or jostled around when in a box. I'll be careful. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent questions.... and good advice rendered above... Interesting coins as well... are you focusing on any special areas or just coins that attract you? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins. I got hooked on ICCS cameo prooflike coins because they tend to be way cheaper than US proof cameos. Those holders offer fine long term protection.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@ricko said:
    Excellent questions.... and good advice rendered above... Interesting coins as well... are you focusing on any special areas >or just coins that attract you?

No particular focus right now, Rick. I bought these a) because I liked them, and b) I just need to start getting some coins in hand and getting a feel for them. I learned a lot about how coins look in hand vs. how they look online (these were all in the seller's eBay store so I saw them there first). Going forward I feel like I want to concentrate on AU graded early-mid 19th century U.S. issues. I have some coins waiting for pickup in my U.S. postal drop box. You guys will probably see a few of them.

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

ICCS uses inert 2x2 saflips inside softer 2.5x2.5 flips. They're perfect for long-term storage.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2017 4:46PM

@Tradernik said:

@CascadeChris said:
    Do they feel crisp, sort of stiff and crinkley so to speak or soft and plyable like say a really thin gummy bear. You want stiff >& crinkley

Thanks Chris. Yes, they seem to be the crinkley type, not really soft and pliable. Good to know they can stay in the cardboard 2x2's safely.

No problemo. Your only worry now is toning (if that is a concern.) Air can get in at the open edges and start rim toning coins. You can somewhat mitigate this by taping the edges, or cutting them out and putting them in AirTite capsules. I would not cut out the ICCS graded coin though

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:

No problemo. Your only worry now is toning (if that is a concern.) Air can get in at the open edges and start rim toning >coins. You can somewhat mitigate this by taping the edges, or cutting them out and putting them in AirTite capsules. I >would not cut out the ICCS graded coin though

Now this is interesting. Is toning a concern for me? As a newb, I get the impression that toning is usually a good thing. Obviously there are a lot of coins that sell at a premium because of it. guess if it's pretty toning, it's good, and if not...

Thanks for this, it's a good tip for me going forward.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file