Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Bank Note Reporter

I have been a subscriber to the Bank Note Reporter since the very first issue. I have been thinking about dropping my subscription for about a year. It is one half price guide ( which I don't use ) and the rest is ads in which I am not interested along with a very few articles, with the best being the ones by Peter Huntoon. In the September issue I see a full page ad by Jitterbug flip phone and a full page ad for a male pill! Are you kidding me. They have made my decision for me. My subscription will soon expire and I will not renew.

Comments

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you, Golden - I was stunned by the "non-numismatics ads" (to be polite) in the September issue. I've been a subscriber since 1980 and did recently renew for another 3 years however, if they keep this up, that will be the end for me, also. Ever since Krause sold out to F & W, BNR has gone right down the drain.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I let my subscription run out back in March......same reasons.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jitterbug and male enhancement, hmm even BNR knows it's demographic of aging males.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strongly agreed !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options

I've been on the fence with BNR for years. Particularly as a WPM collector, the content has always been quite thin. Alan Mincho's column was a good read and one of the reasons I hung on -- it was useful, IMO, to read informed reports and commentary on the goings on in the market. Once he left, there was virtually nothing for me. As an IBNS member, the IBNS Journal (and online forum) are vastly superior sources of information, as is this forum. A shame, but what can you do? The times change...

• Options
    MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭

Still haven't got mine yet.

• Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

I gave BNR another chance two years ago. Had trouble getting even half the issues delivered. Customer support wasn't that helpful either. Decided it is not worth the hassle.

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

PCGS Currency use to advertise in every single BNR issue. They haven't done this since before I was inducted to the PCGS Currency Hall of Fame in 2013. I was kinda hoping to see my name in the BNR. :(

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options

Peter Huntoon is the ONLY reason I re-up this paper every two years. I have been a loyal subscriber since the late '80's. I get more info browsing a few pages of this or the other blogs than I can find in a years worth of BNR. I may hang it up as well.