Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Can you help me value this 1935 Canadian Commerce $10?

Hey guys,

Been a while. I'm wanting to sell a nice UNC 1935 Canadian Commerce Bank note. If I can post a picture, I'll do it, but it's around a CU62 because the margins aren't cut evenly. Can't seem to find any previous sales information on Ebay. There is a buy it now listed on one, but I can't figure out if that's a fantasy number or not. They want over $1,000 for it, but it has better margins.

Any idea of a fair value would be appreciated.

Steve

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest

Comments

• stevereecystevereecy Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check Heritage archives-they have sold many examples of this note.

Based on their results, I'd say a CU62 would be worth around $300-$500.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • stevereecystevereecy Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Thanks. After I posted the pictures I realized I have a slight corner bend on the back. Makes me think it's more like a high AU note.

Here's what I wonder though. I also collect comic books, and it's becoming common to press out folds with a heat press. Google before and after pictures of comic book pressing for some interesting reading. I'm guessing nobody does that with these? If this were a comic book, that fold would press out.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2017 6:40AM

Pressing to remove folds has been seen in currency collecting for decades. It's usually detectable and will reduce the value of a note. You generally can't see this in internet photos but close and careful examination of the paper will usually reveal if the paper fibers have been broken. A light crease may not break the fibers, so may be removable but any harder folds are difficult to make undetectable.

If the note is an AU, perhaps $200-$300 would be a more accurate value.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could be a interested buyer.
    BUT please do not make a attempts to clean or "make it look nicer"

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    I could be a interested buyer.
    BUT please do not make a attempts to clean or "make it look nicer"

PLEASE DO NOT STEAM OR CLEAN.

@sellitstore is on the money with his estimate.

all around collector of many fine things