Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

To Open Or Not To Open Sealed 1975 P. SET

Do you think I should hold onto for a few more years and sell? Or should I open with a less than .0001% on finding the no S dime?

Comments

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Future headline - "Five New 1975 No S Proof Dimes Enter The Market".

But I doubt it. Might be better unopened and to let someone else eventually buy it as a lottery ticket at an inflated price.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool item! I'd keep it sealed. The possibility of the no S dime, however farfetched, is what makes this item special.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt don't open.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

What fun is a cardboard box?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    What fun is a cardboard box?

A lot more fun than opening the box to find 5 pedestrian sets. Once it's opened, the thrill is gone~unless there's a no S dime in there, but that's what makes the box special in the first place~the thrill of possibility.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2017 7:49PM

If you bought them from somewhere else other than mint, then open. What is the point of buying scratch off lottery card if you don't scratch? The odd of you winning was already against you from the start.

If you are the original owner, then please keep them seal until you sell. Since you had waited 40 +years, another few years won't hurt.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Open it. If you sell them unopened for a slight premium, you'll feel really bad if there is a No-S dime in there. Same reasoning applies to rolls of 1969-S cents and 1958 cents.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the zip code?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The really bad thing about these sets is that Coinstar won't give you credit for the Eisenhower dollar.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

X-ray box? Might show details

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were mine, it would already be opened. :D I want to know what I have....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flip a coin. Heads, open it.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

@cladking said:
    What's the zip code?

Zip code is 94175

• Options

@MANOFCOINS said:
    How much is it worth unopened?
    How much is a no s dime worth?

It depends on what someone is willing to pay for it. No S is in the 100 thousands according to PCGS. Only two known examples.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would open it, JMO :smile:
    Let's see what is inside.
    How else can you enjoy it, although you may enjoy it more as is, I do not know the answer :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya never know until...

• Options
    KICK_ROCKSKICK_ROCKS Posts: 37
    edited August 20, 2017 8:12AM

;) Yea I think I will open it. Will post the results sometime after. Wish me luck.

• Options

God luck @KICK_ROCKS :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploa
    ds/editor/n3/r6h106izde24.jpg "")

No S dime for me :(

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well there are deep cameos, anyway.

• Options

Nice set, congrats :smile:

• Options

Yea there are a few Deep Cameos and some 69's, maybe 70's.

• Options

On a side note. Does PCGS or NGC remove individual coins from proof sets for grading. Or would I have to remove to send in? I believe they used to grade the whole proof set, didnt they at one time or another?

• Options

I do not know, but I think you must remove them....An expert here will have the correct answer :smile:

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set, thanks for sharing it.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file