Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone know where I can have this 1788 Common Wealth Mass. Contemporary Counterfeit graded

This is a lead Contemporary Counterfeit. 7.79 grams. I read somewhere there might only be 2 known of this particular die. Remember this is lead and I could snap it in half with no problem. I can't imagine much more could survive being so fragile. I'm looking for info regarding grading this coin and where can I sell it once graded because I know eBay doesn't allow it.

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 4:20PM

ICG is the only tpg that's will slab contemporary counterfeits. This one looks modern though

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern cast replica. Look to the right of the date. See where somebody scratched off the word "COPY?"

No value.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

OMG I can't believe I had not noticed that. That's why this is hands down the best forum out there

• Options

I guess now my question is where would someone buy this? has anyone seen this exact copy before?

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchbelieve said:
    I guess now my question is where would someone buy this? has anyone seen this exact copy before?

You can try listing it for auction on webstore.com they have many options of ways to sell straight auction, auction with offer, and I think they have a fixed price option. The site is totally free with no membership, listing or FVF fees.

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@Watchbelieve said:

Quite common! I have at least four or five examples. Worth $1-5 each (give or take).

• Options

Thank you all. I'm posting a few other contemporary counterfeits right now maybe you could help me identify whether or not they are true contemporary counterfeits rather than copies.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep any counterfeits I come across.... have found them in antique shops and one or two on ebay.... They are for educational purposes.... Amazing how good some are... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file