Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your Coin Club Anniversary Tokens

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 25, 2017 1:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Recently, I saw some Coin Club tokens for the Jacksonville Coin Club that were struck by Mr. Carr. They were beautiful and rivaled a U.S. Mint product. I've also seen some PL medals from the Tampa Coin Club and the Anchorage Club. Makes me wonder about other clubs and the oldest club medals in existance. Perhaps something from a Chicago club.

Comments

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly a token but in the spirit. A hunk of lead.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some really nice tokens... those DCarr pieces are incredible.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Received this in a bulk purchase of small silver bars.
    Several members here were in attendance!

• Options
    edited July 27, 2017 11:31AM

Amazing!
    You have the 83'rd Anniversary.

• Options

WOW!

• Options

CO Springs CC is my favorite so far! !908 Chicago is the one I want...

• Options
    78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭

Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan Carr made this one for our club a few years ago and our club was very pleased with it. Especially those of us who bought the 50 gram gold version!

:+1:

• Options

Very nice. I just got to hold one of his very high relief 2017 "Broken Sword" Peace dollars ($175). Takes your breath away. The U.S. Mint could learn something from his creative designs and their execution.

I can see why some folks consider him and his issues with coinage designs a danger to the hobby. As for me, he is an artist!

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another excellent creation of Daniel Carr for the Knights of the Coin Table Club is the 2012 - 2015 dated "Dark Knight" design. Pictured with the regular 39mm silver issue is the 67mm silver 5 ounce version. Actually, the portrait looks a lot like some of the coin dealers I have seen recently.....

Dan Fan
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    CO Springs CC is my favorite so far!

Here's mine:

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

An absolute beauty Zoins !

Dan Fan
  • Options

@keyman64 said:
    I have tried to get rid of these a couple of times but there hasn't been any interest.

I think this ANA medal is very artistic. Does anyone know who the designer / engraver is for this?

• Options
    edited July 27, 2017 10:06PM

Here's an older piece from the Cincinnati Numismatic Association. There were 5 gold, 25 silver, and 300 copper struck:

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2, here is another Chicago piece for you. It is a 1944 Mexican Peso counterstruck to commemorate the CCC's 400th meeting on May 14, 1952.

And if anyone likes counterstrikes, here is a 1965 Mexican Peso counterstruck to commemorate the Collectors Club of Boston's 20th anniversary in 1965. B)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@keyman64 said:
    I have tried to get rid of these a couple of times but there hasn't been any interest.

I think this ANA medal is very artistic. Does anyone know who the designer / engraver is for this?

Yes...

From Money.org
    Images of the Statue of Liberty and the New York City skyline are featured on the official, limited-edition medal marking the American Numismatic Association's (ANA) 111th Anniversary Convention in New York, July 31 to August 4.
    Designed by noted medallic artist Virginia Janssen and struck by the Hoffman Mint, the obverse of the medal carries a close-up view of the upper portion of the Statue of Liberty, symbol of freedom the world over. On the reverse, Janssen has created an unforgettable New York skyline, along with the ANA's Lamp of Knowledge logo.

Mintage of the 2 1/2-inch bronze medal is limited to 150 pieces; it can be purchased for $34 (pre-issue price, $32). A two-medal set (one 1 1/2-inch medal each in silver and bronze, limited to a total of 150 sets) is available for $47 (pre-issue price, $45). A convention badge with colorful ribbon drape is $13 (pre-issue price, $12). A convention bar is $4.50, and the starter set needed to display the bars is $18.

Pre-issue orders must be received no later than July 12, 2002; please add $5 postage and handling per order.

https://www.money.org/uploads/pdfs/press-releases/2002/June/Press_Release_ANA_s_New_York_Convention_Medal_06_20_2002.htm

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased them in 2002 for a couple of reasons. This was the first ANA Convention following 9/11/2001 and it was being held in New York...and the medals depicted the changed skyline of NY. I found the design to be very attractive.

Short info on Virginia Janssen:
    JANSSEN, Virginia (1962- ) engraver, sculptor, medalist.
    Married name: Virginia Joan Janssen-Gallus.
    Born Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 12 February 1962.
    Studied: University of Colorado, Boulder, BFA 1985.
    School of Medallic Art, Zecca Mint, Rome, diploma 1990.
    Employed: sculptor-engraver at Medalcraft Mint, in
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, March 1992–26 January 1996.
    Operates: Small Reliefs Sculpture Studio, Nov 1996–.
    Signs models: VJ initials or monogram, last name in full.
    Taught Art of Engraving at one-week and one-day seminars
    at numismatic organizations, American Numismatic Assn
    (Colorado Springs) and American Numismatic Soc (NYC).
    Submitted design for new U.S. dollar coin Nov-Dec 98.
    Member: American Medallic Sculpture Association.
    Member: FIDEM

She has been invited to submit designs to the US Mint a couple of times.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64.... The silver is very attractive. Being from NY, I would pick up one of those... I like the Statue of Liberty motif.....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@EXOJUNKIE

How long have you been collection these?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey no fair. YOURS are purtee. :)

I was going thru some "junk" yesterday from a forgotten box and found a pile of CSNA convention medals.
    Blah. By comparison.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2017 9:54AM

We need an exonumia forum.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2017 10:19AM

@Insider2 said:
    @EXOJUNKIE

How long have you been collection these?

Oh, a couple of decades or so. I have quite a few, although I don't know if I have any more from Chicago or not. I don't collect them obsessively ... it is just one of my many little "sub"-collections. I simply pick up ones I like when I have the opportunity. I am truly an exonumia "JUNKIE" -- I'll buy just about any odd numismatic item -- there is no known cure haha. :p

ANA LM

• Options

@AMRC said:

I'd contribute! :)

ANA LM

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EXOJUNKIE said:

@AMRC said:

I'd contribute! :)

ditto.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2017 8:57AM