Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Discussion 1964 SMS Coins

Just to get this rolling, I was looking at the total population reports and one can see there are different totals for each denomination. I'm assuming these coins were available in proof flat packs and all the coins in the pack would be SMS which baffles me on the Pop report. Is it possible to have only one or a few in a pack or were all 5 coins in the pack have to be SP to be attributed as SMS

Comments

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were not in flat packs, they were struck as test pieces. They were not officially offered to the public as sets.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Thanks so much, !!

• robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe they were all found in the possession of the former director of the mint's estate after her death.

• MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

If I'm not mistaken they were all auctioned off from 1991 to 1995 through StacksBowers. They weren't officially being sold as SMS coins as none were thought to have been made up until then. Most of the descriptions simply said "unusual" or something of the like. Due to them not being recognized as SMS coins some non SMS coins slipped in to the auctions as well which were just worn down proofs. This is why no one can ever be sure how many there actually are.

• newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

thanks

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than owning a (true to life) MS67 1970-D I've always wanted a Kennedy 1964 SMS. Was it ever determined if the lone PCGS MS68 1964 half was instead an SMS?

peacockcoins

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Other than owning a (true to life) MS67 1970-D I've always wanted a Kennedy 1964 SMS. Was it ever determined if the lone PCGS MS68 1964 half was instead an SMS?

I've seen that coin in hand and I'm pretty sure it's by no means SMS.

Good info! Thanks for sharing. I think the MS68 1964 used to be in an NGC MS69 years (decades?) ago.

peacockcoins

Oh! Please show us your MS67 1970-D! Pretty please!

peacockcoins

@onlyroosies said:

@braddick said:

I've seen that coin in hand and I'm pretty sure it's by no means SMS.

I'm slightly confused. Was there ever a question that the lone 64D ms68 was a SMS? All of the other known 64 SMS Kennedy's don't have a D mintmark.

@braddick said:
    Good info! Thanks for sharing. I think the MS68 1964 used to be in an NGC MS69 years (decades?) ago.

Are you referring the monster toned 64D pcgs ms68? I think that the only 69 ever certified by NGC was a 64 P SMS which wound up in a pcgs holder.

edited July 19, 2017 4:58PM

Yes. The NGC MS69 turned up in a PCGS MS68 SMS holder. That's the coin I am referring too. And, it was a P mint (not a D mint).

peacockcoins

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

My bad. I was talking about the D mint

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the coin you're talking about :)