Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post your British Monarch coins

stevereecystevereecy Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
edited July 12, 2017 12:01PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Let’s play a simple game and maybe learn the British Monarchs. Look at the last coin posted in this thread. Then either:

(A.) post another coin with the same British monarch and provide a NEW fact about that monarch,
(B.) or post a coin with that monarch’s predecessor and provide a fact about them.

Let's try and be thorough with the monarch in play before we go posting another predecessor so everyone has a chance to play.

How far back can we go?

Points System:
You get 1 point for posting a coin
You get 1 point if the coin has nice toning
You get 1 point if the coin is gold

I’ll start with one of my best coins. This is Queen Elizabeth II, the reigning queen of England.

FACT: She was crowned (edit) in June 2, 1953.

So I have 2 points right now. I'm winning!

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll attribute the problem to spellcheck, but Elizabeth was 'coronated', not coroneted.

'Crowned' is a better word yet.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I'll attribute the problem to spellcheck, but Elizabeth was 'coronated', not coroneted.

'Crowned' is a better word yet.

I was thinking the same thing. :)

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another QEII. Later this year she will have been married for 70-years!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Southern Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia: George VI Shilling 1939,... Southern Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia: George VI Shilling 1939,...
    Just to keep it Southern Rhodesian, I thought I'd include George VI, her predecessor. Fact - he stuttered and married an Elizabeth, the current monarch's mom.

Paul
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Oops, I thought I could copy and paste from Heritage. Oh well :/ .

Paul
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<<<<<

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 425 ✭✭✭

Have the Turks & Caicos 1976 in Unc and Proof. Great coin.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    Manfred1Manfred1 Posts: 59 ✭✭

First 12 sided coin - Mint pack - Australia

• Options

King George VI

Born 14 December 1895 – 6 February 1952
    Crowned King 11 December 1936

• Options

Interest purpose only ... according to my general knowledge we all have heard the phrase

The king is dead, long live the king ... i believe with the death of King George VI they used the phrase

The King is dead, long live the Queen ...

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2017 10:53AM

Okay, we have a problem here. It is virtually impossible to post an Edward VIII coin because he abdicated in less than a year's time and almost no coins were issued for him. So unless you want to end the string here, I suggest that we go to George V. Edward VIII was too close the Nazis anyway.

I have read the George V and his father, Edward VII, got along so well that they were more like brothers than father and son.

And from the Canadian point of view.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2017 7:36AM

How far back can we go?

If you exclude the uncollectable or virtually uncollectable kings and queens, like Lady Jane Gray and Edward V, I can go back to William the Conqueror.

How about if I take it back one more, and then someone else can do Queen Victoria. She's easy unless you want a gold sovereign. I got “sticker shock" when I saw how much some dealers wanted for those in Mint State.

Here is a two pound Matte Proof gold piece for Edward VII. Like Prince Charles, Edward had to wait a very long time before he was able to wear the crown. In some ways he was a better man than the current Prince of Wales, although he was terrible playboy when it came to women. His greatest achievement was the Entente Cordiale which brought about a formal peace with England’s ancient enemy, France. Edward used his diplomatic skills and his ability to speak multiple languages to bring that important treaty to fruition.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭

Here is an India 1880 Quarter Anna struck at the Culcutta Mint. Queen Victoria was the longest reigning British monarch until QEII surpassed her in 2015. Victoria ruled from 1837 to 1901

• Options
    edited July 13, 2017 2:27PM

Beautiful coins, guys! I just pulled the trigger on a colorful Edward VII shilling. I find him interesting because his reign was so short that I didn't know he existed until last month. I always assumed George V went all the way back to the end of Victoria's reign. Then when you read about him, you find out the guy was really down to earth and despite a playboy lifestyle (who could blame him), he tried hard to be a good king. It doesn't hurt that for some reason, whoever sculpted his visage on the coins just nailed it with perfection. Most lifelike "fine style" coins I think I've ever seen. Seems to come off the coin. In a similar vein, I was researching him and I ran across the photo of this bust...see below... that (A.) made my skin crawl because it was so lifelike & (B.) made me wonder if it was the inspiration for the coin.

With respect to the Quarter Anna, I think this is the same visage used on the uber-expensive Florin? Can't understand why these gothic coins are such a relative bargain compared to the Florin...they are beautiful.

Please keep going! Fascinating stuff!

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2017 12:29PM

I guess I’ll come back with the next king back in history, William IV who ruled from 1830 to 1837. William never thought that he would be king. He had an older brother, yet another George who became King George IV. (IF you weren’t counting, that made four Georges in a row, kind of like George Foreman who names all of his sons George.)

Since William never thought that he would be king, he didn’t take much interest in his studies and made a serious effort to grow up ignorant. His nickname was “Silly Billy.” Finally the royal family sent him off to join the Navy when they hoped the military discipline would make a man of him. The strategy worked, and he learned to be a very accomplished seaman and naval officer. He would be known as “the sailor king.”

Still he didn’t feel the need to live by the normal royal trappings that went with his heritage. He refused to marry, and lived with an actress, Dorothea Jordan, for 20 years from 1790 until 1810. They had 10 illegitimate children together. William dumped poor Dorothea, and chased after a series of younger women. He finally did make a proper royal match in 1818 when he married Adelaide, a German princess.

William’s old brother died “without issue” (no living kids) which made the old sailor a king. Despite the fact that William had been able to father 10 children out of wedlock, who went by the name “FitzClarence” he couldn’t produce any legitimate heirs to crown. Therefore his niece, Victoria, was next in line. If Victoria became queen before her 18th birthday, there would be a Regency. William hated the old woman who would be part of that Regency. He “willed himself” to stay alive until Victoria was 18 and then quietly went to his grave.

I enjoy writing this stuff, but I don't want to chase anyone else off. You can go ahead an post something for George IV first, and I'll post my gold sovereign after with little comment.

• Options

I love it! I think I speak for most of us that we enjoy reading it. Absolutely love it and this is Virgin territory for me. Had no idea where Victoria originated from or who was king before her. If someone has coins to add, they will add them. The idea is to encourage multiple posts of the same ruler, but we're in rarified air now, so whenever you've got the coins to get us there, please share...even if you graciously post alone to share your collection. This is really good stuff!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The personal, marital and parental histories of practically all of the children of King George III are absurd beyond belief. George III and his Queen, Charlotte, had fifteen children.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descendants_of_George_III_and_Charlotte_of_Mecklenburg-Strelitz

• Options
    edited July 15, 2017 5:40AM

King George IV ruled from 1820 to 1830, but his actual rule was nine years longer than that. His father, George III, was declared insane and unfit to rule from an inherited disease, porphyria, in 1811.

George was a big, fat indulgent mess. He ate and drank in excess, and the British cartoonists had a field day with him. He ran up debts with his excessive lifestyle but was able to turn on the royal charm enough to get Parliament to pay them.

His marriage was a disaster. He married his cousin, Caroline, who was a German princess. He spent their wedding night drunk, passed out on the floor instead of in bed. Caroline was probably mentally ill, and they never got along. They had one child, a daughter, who died at age 21 as a result of complications for childbirth. After Caroline had the child, Charlotte, in 1796, they split up permanently. The relations between the two were so bad that George locked his wife out his coronation ceremony at Westminster Abby in 1821. She literally banged on the door to be admitted, but was never allowed into the church.

George had many affairs and produced an unknown number of illegitimate children. None of them, of course, were eligible to be king or queen. George died from the effects of his excessive lifestyle thus making his brother, William a surprise king.

As you can see, this stuff is better than reading “The National Enquirer” on the checkout line in the grocery store.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2017 5:15PM

@BillJones said:
    His marriage was a disaster. He married his cousin, Caroline, who was a German princess. He spent their wedding night drunk, passed out on the floor instead of in bed. Caroline was probably mentally ill, and they never got along. They had one child, a daughter, who died at age 11. After Caroline had the child, Charlotte, in 1796, they split up permanently. The relations between the two were so bad that George locked his wife out his coronation ceremony at Westminster Abby in 1821. She literally banged on the door to be admitted, but was never allowed into the church.

George had many affairs and produced an unknown number of illegitimate children. None of them, of course, were eligible to be king or queen. George died from the effects of his excessive lifestyle thus making his brother, William a surprise king.

George IV's legitimate daughter Charlotte died at the age of 21 (in 1817) after having given birth to a stillborn son, not at age 11. Had she lived into her elder years she would have become queen after George IV instead of William.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-