Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a medal or token for the weekend

Comments

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very nice examples shown so far!!

photo ConnMedal_Combo1A_2.jpg

The official souvenir medal to commemorate Connecticut’s Tercentenary will be issued, under present plans, about November 1, this year (1935).

It will be in bronze and about three inches in diameter. The design is by Henry G. Kreis, the well known artist, who has co-operated with Paul Manship in producing some of the outstanding medals of recent years.

On the obverse of the medal is a group of early settlers dominated by the tall figure of Thomas Hooker, and there is a scroll on which appears the phrase ‘Connecticut 1635 – 1935.’

A somewhat modernized representation of the coat of arms of the State appears on the reverse. The three vines with the nine clusters of grapes are shown, and among the vines, vertically placed, are the words ‘Religion,’ ‘Law,’ ‘Education,’ representing Connecticut’s traditional adherence to ‘Religion in a deep sense, Education in a broad sense, and Law in common sense.’ Below these words is the motto ‘*Qui Transtulit Sustinet.’ About the circumference runs the phrase ‘Three Centuries of Self-Government Based on Constitutional Liberty’ in recognition of the fact that there has existed in Connecticut for three hundred years a form of self-government which followed the principles expressed in the Fundamental Orders of 1639.

*(Latin ‘He who transplanted sustains’, also ‘He Who Transplanted Still Sustains’ or ‘[He] Who Transplanted Continues to Sustain’) is the state motto of Connecticut depicted on a blue ribbon below the grapevines.)

The first 100 or so of the medals will be numbered in the order in which they are struck off and will be packed in attractive cases, making a most pleasing and valuable souvenir of the Tercentenary celebration. These will be sold for $5.00 each. The others, about 1,800 or 1,900, will be for sale later at $1.00 a piece. Mail orders are now being taken at the office of the Commission and all applicants will be advised when the medals are ready for purchase and distribution.

A Tercentenary Medal Committee has been in charge of the work securing a souvenir of the celebration. Many designs were considered and much historical research was conducted. The chairman of the committee is George Dudley Seymour of New Haven. Mrs. H. A. Perkins of Hartford is secretary, and the other members are Mrs. Charles a. Goodwin of Hartford, Miss A. B. Jennings of Fairfield, Bancel LaFarge of Mt. Carmel, and Theodore Sizer and Alfred R. Balinger of New Haven.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 4:48AM

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paris Exposition 1900

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked long and hard for this one, which was issued for the same celebration that brought us the Vermont commemorative half dollar. The reverse, which shows Fey’s Tavern, where Ethan Allan and the Green Mountain Boys, consumed some "liquid courage," was considered as an alternative design for the catamount that appeared on the half dollar.

It may have been better if the building had been there instead of the cat. The symbolism of cat as a surrogate for the name of the tavern flew over most people's heads at the time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many spectacular specimens here, most of which I've never seen! Wonderful designs!

Of more modest examples: do you remember the reproductions the Mint issued during the bicentennial?

...and the Constellation medal.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent thread!

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    AHHH, found another old collage.......who remembers this one. Goes back at least 4-5 years.

I still have this one on my wall Stefanie : D

• Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

From my medals with a numismatic theme, a French plaquette...

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Dang it...chose the wrong file

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I get back this evening from the St. Louis Coin show and see that there are a ton of great medals and tokens posted. Very nice pieces from everyone, thanks for sharing.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abraham Lincoln medal by Merriam struck in silver, ex. Ford, F.C.C. Boyd, Wayte Raymond.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

30mm 1860 BRASS
    FIREMAN'S GRAND TORCH HONOR OF PRINCE OF WALES
    NGC MS65

This is one of the more common and perhaps earliest issued for Tom Thumb. Obverse shows
    him standing beside two books. Above "General Tom Thumb" Below"15lbs. weight"
    Reverse is a very good imitation of the quarter dollar from 1807-1837, except this has no date.

While in England it is known that he had the same obverse but with Queen Victoria on the reverse.
    Both struck in brass.

• Options

Here is another, I know that it is not really rare or scarce for that matter but I liked the color. It belonged to a friend, he had me photograph it for him.

• Options

One last one for the night.

• Options

@CommemKing said:

These medals are new, however they are pretty cool. Not very many were made since they were made to order.

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 10:59PM

• Options
    edited June 25, 2017 3:53AM

@morgandollar1878

I believe there were 61 minted of the larger silver medal and 140 of the smaller. I luckily stayed on top of this and got a set. Mine is numbered 42. I have the set in bronze too. The larger examples are huge pucks of silver weighing in at 6.53 ounces of .925, the smaller is 1.49 ounces .925. I collect all Indiana Exonumia. This was a great add to the collection.

Here are my original Indiana Centennial and Bicentennial medals. Included is one of the 1916 Centennial books that includes a numbered Centennial Medal inside the back cover.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2017 5:35AM

Of more modest examples: do you remember the reproductions the Mint issued during the bicentennial?

Yes, I do remember those reproductions of the Cometia Americana medals in pewter. Please don't take offense, but for the best part of that set was the booklet that came with them.

Here is one of the older (19th century) redentions of the John Howard medal (awarded for the Battle of the Cowpens) in Bronze.

A portrait of John Howard.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2017 9:31AM

Here's a Civil War Identification disc, predecessor to the modern "dog tag." This was imprinted on a Merriam's Washington medal. It's nice to find one from a Massachusetts regiment, given that these were minted in Boston. It's even cooler when the soldier has his battle experience stamped onto it. Corporal John M. Ham, of North Beverly, MA was in the 11th Massachusetts Regiment, and participated at the First battle of Manassas, "Bull Run."

This disc shows heavy wear. I like to think that after being discharged, the soldier carried it as a pocket piece for the rest of his life.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2017 10:01AM

@morgandollar1878 said:
    One last one for the night.

Great looking medal showing life in America in 1853. There seem to be some initials in the date between the 5 and the 3. Anyone know who the initials stand for?

• Options
    edited June 25, 2017 12:08PM

@cardinal said:
    A few more, in honor of our founding fathers:

Great looking medals @cardinal!

Interesting map of the United States.

• Options

@Zoins...

The initials between the 5 and 3 are the initials JW of the designer, they are also on the reverse to the left of the head of the axe.

• Options
    edited June 25, 2017 9:47AM

@morgandollar1878 said:
    @Zoins...

The initials between the 5 and 3 are the initials JW of the designer, they are also on the reverse to the left of the head of the axe.

Do you know who JW represents here?

Is it Sherl Joseph Winter (born 1934 in Dayton, Ohio) who is listed as using JW on the Wikipedia list of medallists (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medallist). If so, Joseph Winter would have been 19 when this medal was issued.

Of note Sherl Joseph Winter also worked on the following:

• Options

@Zoins said:

@morgandollar1878 said:
    @Zoins...

Do you know who JW represents here?

Is it Sherl Joseph Winter (born 1934 in Dayton, Ohio) who is listed as using JW on the Wikipedia list of medallists (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medallist). If so, Joseph Winter would have been 19 when this medal was issued.

Of note Sherl Joseph Winter also worked on the following:

James Wehn

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank Gasparro clearly took credit for this medal:

• Options
    jpo1965jpo1965 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Old coins
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2017 5:53PM

My first of 3 i got today and only ones i have

Old coins
  • Options

Old coins
  • Options

Old coins
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

All kinds of awesome beauties here.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options

• Options

@CommemKing
    The Hudson- Fulton is a very cool medal. A friend has two of them which I have had the pleasure of holding in hand, and I love the design.

• Options

@morgandollar1878
    I foolishly sold this one while back. The huge puck was awesome to hold. I don't know how that thing only graded MS63. There isn't a mark one it. Oh how I wish I wouldn't have sold so many beautiful pieces.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    Frank Gasparro clearly took credit for this medal:

One day I hope to have the gold medal but, for now I only have the silver.
    Your gold is sunning. Frank Gasparro did a fabulous job!

1976 Medal D1976-3e Silver National Bicentennial, DCAM

• Options

Yesterday, March 9, was the 161st anniversary of this famous battle at Hampton Roads, Virginia.

And an Indiana primitive Monitor Civil War token.

• Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

1800 posthumous Washington ‘Hero of Freedom’ Medal with fire gilt surfaces, as sold, with original box of issue.

Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file