Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1983 P tough date find

1983 P tough date found today. Not the best shape though....

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep looking you'll find a better one for sure....they are out there.

Aaaaah, the thrill of the hunt!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2017 3:08PM

Hmmm didn't realize these were tough to find. I remember I received a handful of these back in change over the course of a couple months one summer.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm doing the same, Jefferson's and Washington's from circulation.
    Keep looking you will find a better example.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    CNCMACHINISTCNCMACHINIST Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Do your research!...get on youtube, learn whats out there...you never know! Also a youtube channel called "coin opp" has alot of videos check em out!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll find one. They only minted 673.5 million of them.

• Options

...but for some reason they have value...lol.

• Options

its all about the uncirculation value...you find one ms-65 or 67 your golden.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

People who put their coins in jars or boxes (not collectors - just change accumulators) are the people to find... many have years worth of coins stashed away... tedious, but often rewarding to search. Cheers, Ricko

• Options

a buddy of mine says his uncle has a water cooler bottle from old school that he has put quarters in for 30 plus years!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1983-P quarter, while a high mintage issue, is still a tough circ. find, especially so in the midwest/western US.
    MOst found are damaged in some way, scratched, corroded, pitted, discolored, rims bumped, or worn down to VG level if not damaged.
    A strong damage-free VF or nicer, while maybe not a valuable coin, would be a most unusual circulation find.
    If anyone doesn't believe me, search some quarter rolls.
    Same comments apply to 1982-P, although even a tougher find, and to a somewhat lesser extent, 1983-D.
    1982-D is somewhat common, but same damage issues apply to this date also.
    I would wager it would take a LONG tome and lots of looking to assemble a nice, problem-free 1982PD 1983PD set of quarters in XF/AU grade.
    But then again, maybe no one would care. :)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2017 12:52PM

I was a "who cares" but I just found an XF/AU 1983-P in my lunch change glass. Thanks! I'll save it from any more circulation. :smile: What do the mint sets with these quarters cost? That's the only way to go for investment.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I was a "who cares" but I just found an XF/AU 1983-P in my lunch change glass. Thanks! I'll save it from any more circulation. :smile: What do the mint sets with these quarters cost? That's the only way to go for investment.

You might be able to find them cheap (~$40) but they are invariably poorly made examples. Some are clean and will grade high but they are junk. These are, of course, the souvenir sets.

There are several types of privately assembled sets and a few of these sometimes have true Gems. For the '82-P quarter I like the Numismatic News sets and for the '83-P the Paul and Judy sets.

Finding these in Unc is very difficult and frequently there are sliders and even AU's being passed off as Uncs.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

NOT the "No P" variety if you thought it was (scarcer). AU'ish details with wear, net (because of the wear) to VF25. Low Ball?

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    NOT the "No P" variety if you thought it was (scarcer). AU'ish details with wear, net (because of the wear) to VF25. Low Ball?

I'd call it a mid to high end XF with retained luster. It is poorly made and a little rough so I'd net it at VF+ to XF-.

It shouldn't take looking through more than about 20 rolls to find a nicer specimen. ...Maybe a few more since high end coins have been getting picked off a lot in the last several years. As recently as ~2004 this date (and '82-P) were the most common pre-'90 quarters in AU. A lot of these were set aside in the mid-'80's that had a little wear and were finding their way back into circulation.

The '83-P is fairly common in AU today (not in circulation, of course), but nice attractive specimens are tougher and will always be tough nicer than F condition. Even the coins graded MS-67 tend to have major strike and die deficiencies (especially with the '82-P). Nice clean fully struck coins of these dates are hard to find even in VF and Uncs are much scarcer than people realize.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Well I searched 100 dollars of quarters and found 2 1983-P in pretty good condition. Not MS-65 but some eagle breast feathers visible. 2 out of 400. Hmmm. maybe search more...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file