Home Metal Detecting

coins found while gardening at grampa's

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

he lives just outside of my town in a century farmhouse. went to visit him and help on his garden since he cant get around to well right now and dug up some nice coins. ones a bit damaged looking though, the pennies are dated (1876, 1891, 1911, 1915, 1918, the other is from upper canada)

Comments

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look pretty nice for being buried for 100 years. Way to go!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2017 11:43AM

thanks they needed a lil soap and water to wash em off . but otherwise not to bad looking. going to the states this weekend to visit some friends so ill bring my detector with me

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats neat to see. nice finds

thankyou hopefully ill find something good in the states

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish that some of the Indian Cents that I have found would be in the condition like the ones you found. Nice looking coins.

i like the looks of the indian cents. ive found a few in the past and most are worn down a fair bit

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shazam!! Dang, that is nice...you found those digging the garden?? No metal detector? Wow.. get back there with your MD.... there must be more.... Cheers, RickO

edited May 19, 2017 9:56AM

yea they popped up while digging the garden . im going back this saturday to see him so ill bring it then, first time found coins that old though. usually its his spending money that falls from his pockets

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

No soap and water, just a water bath soak. No need to "clean" them. Get the dirt off and then leave as is. Better value that way.

Great finds.

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

ah ty . friend said soap would be ok . ill just use water next time and thankyou

You can use water under pressure...such as a faucet spray...use hot water, it will take out the crud from within the indicia...Cheers, RickO

edited May 21, 2017 12:26PM

i use the faucet to wash the coins but ill skip the soap from now on, ended up coming home early from the states due to being sick but managed to find some indian head pennies in my friends attic and a worn liberty nickle along with a few walking liberty 50 cent peices .

You found those in an attic?? In an old trunk or something? Great finds...what is the date on the V nickel??
    Cheers, RickO

attic in an old shoe box with some odds and ends and a few 1950's baseball cards. the v nickle is hard to read but it looks like 1907

• I collect Baseball cards. What cards did you find? Thanks, Rich

• PS: Congratulations on your finds!!!! Nice coins!!!!!

edited May 22, 2017 12:02PM

same ive got around 23000 baseball and hockey cards . and thankyou. he has so many coin bins he's starting to make cheap mixed grab bags

I do not collect baseball cards, however, that is a fine collection you have displayed. Cheers, RickO

• Those cards are a little worn but still have value due to their age. Nice find!

yea they were just strewn in the box with the coins some coat buttons and some scraps of newspaper clippings and thanks

Old attics and cellars often produce interesting things.... and even walls, in old houses, can conceal real surprises. Often things were concealed in walls since banks were not trusted.... then, due to deaths or other issues, they were forgotten. A wall detector can help in old houses (not good for paper money, obviously). Cheers, RickO

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that 1907 a rare silver proof cent? if possible, sent it to PCGS!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your interesting finds :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

i dont know if the cent is. ill send it to them to see what they say

There were no silver Indian Head cents.... do not waste your money. Cheers, RickO

thanks i wont send it in then.. need to save my money

I am still amazed at the coins you found it the garden and then the attic.... what great luck. Cheers, RickO

the house was built in 1904 and been in the family the whole time. i dont know what was on the property before that

It would be interesting to research that property... You may be surprised at what you find....Cheers, RickO

would be interesting to find out what was on it before and of course see what else can find

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds for sure!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

thank you.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post..Thanks.

sorry slow to answer just got home from a cruise and didnt wish to pay the net prices on the ship.. the islands had some ancient coins but out of my price range

Welcome back.... Cruise to where?? Cheers, RickO

tortola , st thomas and nassau. they had coins from the atocha and various other coins dating back to the 1st century . the prices ranged from $80-950 for the coins

Nice... I have been to St. Thomas and Nassau.... the coins sound interesting... If from a shipwreck, there is always a premium attached...not worth it to me, unless I found them... ;) Cheers, RickO

most all the coins were from shipwrecks.. specially the atocha

Yes... they then have a significant premium attached... to me, it is not worth the extra cost. Cheers, RickO

yes i didnt buy any .couldnt afford the cheapest one at least they were great to look at, my oldest coin is a 2nd century b.c. from syria

There are some great, old coins from Europe, and some intriguing designs as well. Cheers, RickO