Home U.S. Coin Forum

1908-D $10 indian

I just got this coin today. About a month ago I asked for opinions from a bad photo- well now I got some better pic's. I have had a hard time grading these so tell me what you guy's think. It's not certified it's in a capitol holder. I took a couple of pictures of each side from a little different angle. thanks mike image
    obverse1
      obverse2
        reverse1
          reverse2

Comments

• CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
            a little hard to tell, but seems to have some rub on it, looks au 58 at the most.
          • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Sorry, but I'm going to no grade it as "Whizzed or Cleaned"

But as always, wait for somebody who knows what they are talking about to render their opinion.

Good Luck
            My posts viewed image times
            since 8/1/6
          • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
            thanks guy's. mike image
          • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
            It looks like an AU-58 or AU-55 to me. The grading services are very inconsistent with these coins because of the weak strikes. I see a rub on the eagle's wing and some field friction.

NGC graded the attached coin as an MS-61. I thought it was a tremedous bargain at the grade.
            Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
          • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
            borderline unc, i'd think it might sneak in at unc. i'm not gold expert but it seems like i see a huge number of "unc" coins that have friction. is it considered roll friction or something?

K S
          • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
            Actully gold coins are so soft that putting them in envelopes and tightly packing them in boxes, which places presure on their surfaces, can flatten their designs. That's the grading services give them some leaway in grades up to MS-63.
            Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
          • jomjom Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
            The coin is AU58, IMO. The "reverse2" photos shows it best. Plenty of tick marks and the rub on the high point of the eagle. The obverse can show slight wear also but there is almost impossible to see with a photo. You might get lucky with an MS61 or something but I don't think that is a big price difference with this date.

jom
          • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
            Bill I really like your 1907 it looks nice and fresh. I will send the 1908-D to ngc when I get two more gold coins to slab so I can take advantage of thier gold special. I am hoping for a AU58 grade but I have been way off on these before so I am ready to accept the grades however it turns out. There is a little bit of a price difference in grades I just looked at numismedia and they have it listed at $425 in au55, $530 -au58, $780 -ms60, $860 -ms61, $1,110 -ms62 and then it takes a huge jump to $2970 in 63 and triples in ms64. thanks guy's mike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
          Emoji
          Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
          Drop image/file