Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

1842 Seated Liberty Dollar, MS64 PCGS

I have the attached 1842 Seated Liberty Dollar, which has been graded MS64 by PCGS. The coin is beautifully toned and I feel it is of a higher grade, like MS64+ - MS65. I will sell the coin for a reasonable offer.

Comments

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you looking to get? References?

• Options
    carnic1carnic1 Posts: 27

I would like to get the price guide value, as it is a beautiful coin, which I feel is worth a lot more than the price guide value, as noted by PCGS and NGC. What sort of references are you looking for? Selling references? If so, I sell coins etc. on Ebay and have active listings now, with a 100% feedback rating (Grizzfizz09). Thanks

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a pic in the slab?

• Options

Yes, I have attached a picture in the slab (PCGS Secure).

• Options

Front picture of 1842 seated Liberty Dollar, MS64 PCGS secure.

• Options

• Options

The colors and tones do not show well with my camera, as they do with the PCGS pictures and looking at the coin in person. The coins colors and tones are 100% as pictured by PCGS, very beautiful.

• Options

• Options

This beautiful coin can also be seen in PCGS' Price Guide/Coin Facts section under 1842 Seated Liberty Dollar, as a featured photograph, along with the two MS64+ grades.

• Options

I sent you a private message on here with an offer. If you didn't get it or want to talk via email, you can email me at 1899set1@gmail.com.

• Options

Hi,
    I replied to your email at your Gmail address. Thanks, take care....

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think with an active account at eBay and 100% feedback, you would be better off selling it there.

A "9" postcount here doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in most cases.

• Options

Well, thanks for your "expert opinion" (Top Stuff), but if someone here does not have "confidence" in what I have listed, then it's their loss, not mine. What I list is 100% accurate, which I stand by 100% and I am sure that I am just as "credible" as you. Thanks for the info., happy collecting....

• Options

TTT

• Options

TTT

• Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Instead of statements, I am a firm believer in solutions, ideas or a problem-solving approach. You can even roll the bad news right into the good.

"Given your low post count many here on the forum would be hesitant to send a check for such a large dollar item--if we/you could arrange to have a respected dealer or forum elder (high post count member) arrange an escrow for say $100, the likelihood of sale would increase."

But, alas--no such thing. Case closed, slam the door in his face and smile at your good deed of forum-policeman. I need to go slam a door now...forumites with post counts in the 1,000+ range can figure it out from here.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Id buy it at 9k, but as others have said, due to your newness as a member. I be reluctant to send out this kind of money in advance,

good luck on the sale, the pcgs plate photo of this coin looks nice

• Options

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I for one am very cautious about buying anything for any high dollar amount these days without ensuring that I am covered 100% in verifying the safeness and authenticity of the sale. The same holds true for any sales that I do, as I will ensure, via any acceptable method to a buyer, that they/I are satisfied with the sale and how it is handled, to ensure that all parties involved are satisfied/feel confident that they/I are protected/satisfied, as I have done with all my Ebay sales to date, earning me a 100% feedback rating for 8+ years running. Take care to all, happy collecting....

• Options

I offered $8000, was politely rejected, and then I countered with $8500 and never heard back. If you put it on eBay for sale, I think several of us would be bidders.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sucks being vetted, in a way; until you find out you're okay. I understand the skepticism and interest. Great piece. Welcome to the stage.

• Options

Hi Jclovescoins. Sorry if you did not receive my reply on your private account email, regarding your $8500.00 offer. I can resend it, but I advised at that time that I would hold off for now, but thanks. And thanks for the welcome to the stage TwoSides2acoin. take care...

• Options

Can you give us a number you would take for it?

• Options

Hi, as stated in my May 05, 2017 post, as noted above, I would like to get the NGC-PCGS price guide value for the coin. Thanks....

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

That would be $10,500

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Why not just say it outright what the price guide is instead of making us search for it. What is so hard about posting I would like to get $10,500 for my beautiful coin above. ?

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options

CCC2010, I find your "smart" replies to actually be quite childish, as I stated what I did, as I felt that the self proclaimed "coin experts", such as yourself, would know what I was talking about and not until this date, did anyone else question what I put down on May 05, 2017. That's it, no other story to it. If you, or any of your experts find it troubling, then please, do not look at what I posted, make offers etc., as it will not hurt my feelings at all. Numerous persons, who are very professional on here, as well as in other forums, have contacted me and knew exactly what I was talking about and have made nice offers etc. Oh, and by the way, the Price Guide value for you and the experts is ($10,500 PCGS and $11,000 NGC), which is posted in their respective pages. When I purchase high end coins, I usually research what the values are, trends etc., so I know what would be a reasonable offer to make. I figured I would list one of my lower end, higher grade, spare coins on here, to try and help someone get a nice coin that they may want, but I see that this may not have been the right choice. But, I guess I should not judge the forum negatively, based on a few persons' ego issues. Thanks for the comments, take care and happy collecting....

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2017 3:39PM

Never claimed to be a "coin expert" Just stating to Just ask straight out what you want period. That is all i am saying. And Yes it is a Beautiful coin in my opinion.

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options

No problem, thanks for the reply. As I stated on May 05, 2017, I would "like to get" the amounts stated in the price guides, but I did not say that was firm. I guess I assumed persons would know what I meant. I wanted to give others a chance to purchase the coin, if its something they liked/needed. A coin similar in appearance to this one, graded the same by PCGS, sold at auction in 2008 by Heritage for over $21,000.00 (noted in the price guides w/photo). That coin also had the CAC sticker on it, which I did not try to get as of yet. One never knows what an auction may bring, as it could be high, or really low....

• Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Sounds like Heritage might be your best bet. HA has quite a few followers on here.

BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2017 4:29PM

@carnic1 said:
    No problem, thanks for the reply. As I stated on May 05, 2017, I would "like to get" the amounts stated in the price guides, but I did not say that was firm. I guess I assumed persons would know what I meant. I wanted to give others a chance to purchase the coin, if its something they liked/needed. A coin similar in appearance to this one, graded the same by PCGS, sold at auction in 2008 by Heritage for over $21,000.00 (noted in the price guides w/photo). That coin also had the CAC sticker on it, which I did not try to get as of yet. One never knows what an auction may bring, as it could be high, or really low....

Prices in 2008 have nothing to do with prices now. It trends around $7000 to $8000 now. Also, your coin does not look like an MS64+ or an MS65. You obviously have no clue what you're doing and you are pretentious and annoying on top of that. I wouldn't deal with you even if you did have good prices.

• Options
    Vbowling299Vbowling299 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

@You said:

@carnic1 said:

Prices in 2008 have nothing to do with prices now. It trends around $7000 to $8000 now. Also, your coin does not look like an MS64+ or an MS65. You obviously have no clue what you're doing and you are a pretentious annoying cunt on top of that. I wouldn't deal with you even if you did have good prices.

Well that's a pretty disrespectful way of talking to anyone. That language will make sure you arent here long.

• Options

Thanks okiedude for the advice, as it may end up there, as HA advised they would place it in their upcoming July auction, if I went with them. Thanks Vbowling299, as your comment is right on money.

And to **@You ** and your really off the wall childish comments, PLEASE never deal with me, because you obviously have issues that you should addressing. I also never said that 2008 prices are what a coin may go for now either. Numerous well respected coin experts have made very nice offers (higher than YOUR trend values) and gave their expert opinions on the coin, which differs greatly from you obviously, because they know what they are talking about.

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2017 4:30PM

@carnic1 said:
    Numerous well respected coin experts have made very nice offers (higher than YOUR trend values) and gave their expert opinions on the coin, which differs greatly from you obviously, because they know what they are talking about.

Then why haven't you resubmitted it?

• Options

I currently have the coin up for sale obviously in its present grade and I gave my "non expert opinion" on what I felt about it on May 05, 2017, which last I knew, is OK to do, as anyone can have their own opinion, just as some experts have given me. If I do not accept any current offers on here, the coin may be re-submitted and at least, sent to the CAC, which Heritage Auction advised they would do, as part of their service in selling the coin in their July auction. thanks for the question. Happy collecting....

• Options

Honestly, my best advice on this piece would be consign with heritage and let them send to CAC. I think you would likely get the most money going this route and could very well see it bring around 12k...or it's also possible you could net only 6500. But probably worth the risk I'd say. Best wishes

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better advice (if the owner is interested) is sending the coin to Ian at Great Collections. Rather than trying to wrestle Heritage down from 22.5% vig, GC will do it for 10%. He can send it to the holy god of CAC at cost and you will have a much shorter turnaround.

• Options

Thanks to both for the advice above. HA advised 10% seller fees, sent to the CAC etc., to be in the July Summer Fun Convention Auction in Florida, or the August ANA Show auction, which HA felt the coin would do great at either one, but one never knows I guess. I will also check out GC. Happy collecting to all.

• Options
    PandavabPandavab Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

@carnic1 said:
    Thanks to both for the advice above. HA advised 10% seller fees, sent to the CAC etc., to be in the July Summer Fun Convention Auction in Florida, or the August ANA Show auction, which HA felt the coin would do great at either one, but one never knows I guess. I will also check out GC. Happy collecting to all.

Hi carnic1,

Apologies for some of the more "colorful" personalities you've already had to deal with. Some of the advice was meant to be helpful, such as it likely being difficult for people to feel comfortable buying such an expensive coin from someone who is an unknown on the forums (although there are relatively easy solutions to resolve that). Unfortunately, some was not meaningfully constructive or helpful.

I agree your coin appears to be worth a premium over some of the other examples I've seen sell over the last few years. How much is always the tough part. Regarding HA, however, please keep in mind you're paying 10% seller fees and the 17.5% buyer's premium. Sure, the buyers pay the buyer's premium, but that's still money coming out of your pocket in the end. A $10,575 sale (with buyer's premium) through HA will only net you $8,100. The same sale price at GreatCollections will net you about $9,610. Heck, even a $9,350 sale (with buyer's premium) at GreatCollections will net you $8,500.

Just something to help you think about your choice. Depending on how much ~$8,000 - $9,500 is worth to you, auctions can be pretty risky. The concern obviously being it goes for the lower end of what recent prices have been for your date and grade, or about ~$7,000, which would net you considerably less.

Anyhow, best of luck on your sale. It is definitely a beautiful coin!

• Options

Pandavab, thank you for the information/advice, I really appreciate it. This coin is a spare I have out of a large collection that I have of US/Canada coins and since I'm not into collecting the Seated dollars as much, I thought I would offer on here for someone that may collect Seated dollars more. I joined this forum, as I happen to notice it on the PCGS site and figured I'd give persons a chance here to buy a coin or two. As I mentioned at the top of my posts, I sell coins on Ebay, usually lower level spares and I for one, am a very cautious buyer, as I would hope others are and thus, I can understand persons on here being a little cautious on new persons selling higher end coins. This is why I posted earlier that I would ensure, in any way suitable to any buyer, that any sale is conducted in such a manner as to make all parties involved feel safe and secure. I had planned to put a few other higher end coins on in the future, so other collectors can have a chance at some nice coins. Take care and happy collecting...

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Better advice (if the owner is interested) is sending the coin to Ian at Great Collections. Rather than trying to wrestle Heritage down from 22.5% vig, GC will do it for 10%. He can send it to the holy god of CAC at cost and you will have a much shorter turnaround.

Actually, Great Collections charges NO fee if the item goes for over a grand. :)

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin of that quality should not be subjected to full freight seller's fee of 10%. I'd haggle a bit with Heritage.

• Options

Thanks Topstuf and JBN for the info...

• Options

@topstuf said:

@Coinstartled said:

Actually, Great Collections charges NO fee if the item goes for over a grand. :

My number included the total of the fees on both sides as that is what is important to the seller.

• Options

@JBN said:
    Coin of that quality should not be subjected to full freight seller's fee of 10%. I'd haggle a bit with Heritage.

Heritage has a sellers fee of 5% and a buyers fee of 17.5%. Sweet talking might get the buyer fee dropped (maybe). Beyond that it is doubtful that you would receive any percentage above hammer.

Coin is certainly nice and rare in the grade but not so much that it would need a Heritage audience to receive a maximum price.

• Options

ttt

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

No reason why you shouldn't be able to get 108% of hammer at Heritage if you contact the right people. Feel free to PM me.

• Options

No longer available, thanks for all the interest and offers. Happy collecting to all.....

• Options

Sold for $16,450.00 this date w/buyers premium ($14,000.00 for coin itself) at Heritage Auctions. Thanks to all. Take care, happy collecting.....

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great price, nice sale for you Congrats!!

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats! Good for you!