Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A coin supply dilemma on the horizon.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a phone call from our supply dealer yesterday afternoon, he had a somewhat disconcerting and surprising bit of news to pass along. Evidently, the word is starting to trickle out that the manufacturer of _E-Z-Est _ will no longer be making and selling the product. He was calling for something unrelated but suggested that if we wanted to order some it might be prudent since the prices will be rising soon.

The product seems like a staple in the industry, most every shop that stocks supplies carries it and everybody knows what the product is and what its uses are. Has anyone else heard this news??? I assume our supplier was informed by his wholesaler or through a trade publication. Since it is a widely used, popular item who do you think will pick up production?? Or are the days of E-Z-Est numbered and Silver coins will soon cease to be dipped???

Things could get interesting. Comments, feedback........................thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that does happen, I see lots of home brew on the horizon until someone fills the void.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a window of opportunity for some
    young entrepreneur.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are alternatives like Goddard's. Also thiourea alone would seem to be effective in some cases. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiourea

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    There are alternatives like Goddard's. Also thiourea alone would seem to be effective in some cases. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiourea

I've us d goddards before. Works very well.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2017 8:21AM

@keets said:
    I received a phone call from our supply dealer yesterday afternoon, he had a somewhat disconcerting and surprising bit of news to pass along. Evidently, the word is starting to trickle out that the manufacturer of _E-Z-Est _ will no longer be making and selling the product. He was calling for something unrelated but suggested that if we wanted to order some it might be prudent since the prices will be rising soon.

The product seems like a staple in the industry, most every shop that stocks supplies carries it and everybody knows what the product is and what its uses are. Has anyone else heard this news??? I assume our supplier was informed by his wholesaler or through a trade publication. Since it is a widely used, popular item who do you think will pick up production?? Or are the days of E-Z-Est numbered and Silver coins will soon cease to be dipped???

Things could get interesting. Comments, feedback........................thanks in advance.

Al H.

If McDonald's was closing would you start yelling " buy your Big Macs now, there will never be anymore fast food!"
    There's still BK, Wendy's, Sonic, five guys...

I see zero dilemma.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Plenty of other products with basically identical ingredients

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2017 10:25AM

The coin supply is adequate. Your post would more accurately describe as coin supply supplies or the supply of coin supplies.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a good thing, I still believe my cancer was caused from dipping coins all these years with out wearing gloves.
    Once you have it, you start to think about these things. I don't touch the stuff no period

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    Probably a good thing, I still believe my cancer was caused from dipping coins all these years with out wearing gloves.
    Once you have it, you start to think about these things. I don't touch the stuff no period

What kind of cancer?

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

My container of e Z est is probably about 20 years old and still two-thirds full, and used more on my wife's jewelry, etc. than on coins.
    Perhaps it will be part of my estate someday ;)

Now Ricko on the other hand may need to stockpile some....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wallgreens sells black plastic bottles of "Tarn-X", which is basically the same thing.

• Options

I have to wonder if there are multiple manufacturers or perhaps just one and the product is then trademarked with different names.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that Tarn-X is harsher and more destructive to the surface of the coin, but this is based solely upon my observation of coins that customers brought in that they said they had used Tarn-X on. I have never used it myself.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

interesting observation, Tom. I have never used any "dip" besides E-Z-Est, all those mentioned by members are news to me.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this up at Wal-Mart a few months ago when my lcs was out of ezest. Works just as good or better and Wal-Marts are everywhere

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@jdimmick said:

IIRC CaptHenway said he got allergic to it or sick from being around it for the same reason/s that you cite.

• Options

hey CC, can you match the ingredients of the two to see if they are similar??

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any Gluten-Free?

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had a bottle since 1996.... used it in some of my experiments back then... Still 95% full....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tarn-X and Connoisseurs both work about the same from my observations. I've used all three at different times in the past. You just have to know what can and can't be dipped.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

People stocked up on Twinkies..................they are now for sale again :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    People stocked up on Twinkies..................they are now for sale again :smile:

and the ones they stocked up on are still edible

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried stocking up on Twinkies, but I kept eating them.

• Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭

I used to use good old baking soda. Shined up silver really well, except for the million scratches it seemed to impart on the coin. :'( It gave copper coins a nice pinkish- orange color, too.

image"Darkside" gold
  • Options

my boss told me a short while ago that we're going to be getting 65 gallons from our supply guy!!! :D

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

7070s are back too. Now if someone would just bring back Blue Ribbon!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EXOJUNKIE said:

Pabst?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said: "Plenty of other products with basically identical ingredients."

You seem to be very informed, perhaps you would name two of them for us.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@EXOJUNKIE said:

Pabst?

Haha, no. The old Harco stuff.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

People talk all the time about using acetone, acetone is highly toxic and should only be used with good quality gloves. How many people do that? Technically it should be used in a chemical fume hood, and I'm fairly certain most don't do that.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of dealers have been poisoned by coin chemicals over the years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file