Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Possible unc '84S dollar?

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
Text

hope my attempt to post the link works...

anyway,seriously, the item # is 1396140668...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks XF to me.
  • Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    In my opinion not even close to unc. Looks like a coin worth between $300-$550.
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Many of his coins look like they have been cleaned.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Here is where he purchased the coin. Ebay Auction
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - did that thing get sucked into a lawn mower or something? image
  • Options
    omigosh IrishMike!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Great detective work Mike. My shoot from the hip guess was pretty good.

Russ is right. All of these guys auctions are traps. Sometimes I'm amazed people still seriously collect coins when there are so many people out there ready to chop their heads off.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link worked just great!

This one is strictly for SERIOUS gamblers... the odds are worse than any table game in Vegas!

99+ times out of a hundred this coin is going to wind up being either an AU58 or AU55 or a cleaned coin. I have talked to several Morgan specialty dealers who have NEVER made a mint state 1884-S in their life, and they supposedly what they're doing.

Should be fun to watch this one play out!

-- Dennis
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
  • Options
    Looks like a couple of my dollars that got body bagged for cleaning/excessive dipping. Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like luster is washed out. Plus, wear on the breast feathers...AU at best
  • Options
    lathmach,that '84S appears to be a properly graded nice coin but its not the one currently offered...in my opinion...he must have two of them...

• Options
    I think lathmach found the correct one. The first one seemed to have a little more originality, and a rougher surface.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

• Options
    Holy guacamole! The auction's description has now been changed!!!!!! Good work!

Edited to add: It is number two (lathmach's). Check out the horizontal cut at the base of the neck.

• Options
    well,the images of the "lathmach" '84S are much better than the images of the "mr1874" '84S...

two different coins aren't they?

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    LMAO, who would have guessed there would be two of them.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    The 4 looks like it might be a altered one. Picture is poor though.
  • Options
    I think they are the same coin. seriouscoins bought the "lathmach" coin (sorry, lathmach -- I know it's not yours) and stuck it in a 2X2 with the huge price listed on the front, and now is selling it on eBay. I agree the image in the current auction is worse, but that doesn't say much about the coins. You can see the horizontal cut across the neck in both images, and you can see a bit of the semi-circular ding under the cheek in the seriouscoins image, as well, if you look hard.

We got him to admit it's AU -- think we can get him to admit it's been harshly cleaned if we keep this up?image

• Options
    the images...three sets of them...

amazing what light and angles will do...

the cut is at the base of Liberty's neck on all three...

thanks for pointing that out,BNE...

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Alot of morgans have a mark on the neck like that.

• Options
    Well, they were minted in the era of Jack the Ripper, right?image

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Listed as AU/BU; So which is it? Theres only $5,000 difference!
    <<<<<<This one is strictly for SERIOUS gamblers... the odds are worse than any table game in Vegas!<<<<<<<<<<
    Hey gamblers in Vegas have a chance to win, this coin is a loser!
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin looks like a cleaned Au-50, 53.

95% ++ of all uncertified coins of this caliber are that way for a reason, (Because they wont slab)
    The remaining 5% that will usually come from an old time collection that has been tucked away for many many years long before grading services were thought of, and the others originally slabbed and taken out of holder beacuse some collectors do not like slabs, but buy them that way for protection for their sets.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    in unc, the 1884-s really is as rare as advt'd. & that one aint.

the are common as dirt in au. that 1's a cleaned au at best.

K S
  • Options
    This doesn't look like an UNC coin to me. Too many surface imperfections and also a possibly dipped coin. Many key date Morgans don't pan out to be " a diamond in the rough".
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

<< <i>Text

hope my attempt to post the link works...

anyway,seriously, the item # is 1396140668...

image >>

..............that coin is not even a ms60, it has been buffed, dipped, and god knows what else......i have emailed this seller several times, hes an idiot............stay the hell away.......
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i> A GORGEOUS 1884-S MORGAN DOLLAR "PRIVATELY GRADED" MS62, AND WELL IT MIGHT BE. IT'S NEVER BEEN PROFESSIONALLY GRADED, BUT JUST LOOK AT THE PICTURES AND JUDGE FOR YOURSELF! LOTS OF ORIGINAL MINT LUSTER. >>

To many distractions going on, on both sides. If this is the same coin on the link that irish mike shows then no way Mint State I say around AU-55

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    i have found no less than three other alleged to be uncirculated '84-S dollars offered out of ten pages of 1884 dollars...a kind of population report,if you will,of this elusive dollar...

Can this coin really be all that rare,with the price to match ($3650), in uncirculated condition?

i mean,three uncs out of about twenty total '84-S's offered,certainly no more than the statistically significant number of '30,' is kind of a high population of unc '84-S,isn't it?

lol

• Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    mr1874

I would have pm'ed this info, but ....

As of Jan 02 PCGS pop, less than 200 have been graded uncirculated, only 10 higher than MS63. It is a relatively scarce/rare coin in uncirculated condition, particularly slabbed.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    i know if i had a raw '84-S that i REALLY thought had a reasonable chance of being assigned MS60 grade or higher by PCGS i wouldn't risk losing my coin,and thousands of dollars,to a lowball bidder in an online auction...

thanks for the info, Gilbertimage

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i doubt that 200 unc 1884-s dollars exist. gotta be from mega-multiple submissions. as long ago as the early 80's, i was trying to cherry pick 1, never did. true uncs, mind you, not "comercial" unc sliders. i'll bet i've seen maybe 50. maybe less!

K S
  • Options
    How did he change the description...I thought Ebay won't let you change a description..once you have bids on a coin?
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    mr1874

Bowers and Merena are advertising a PCGS MS63 in the January rarities sale. BY THE MAGE in the newspaper, it looks like a very nice specimen.
    Gilbert

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file