Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 D nickel in FANTASY set (fictional)

If this was real SMS Set , one coin at a time , seperate holders , how much for example, would I owe in fees
if the nickel was ms65 sms Denver , graded , or option authentic without grade, or reality check 1964d
AU xx, if I shoot for the stars for sms and its not, would any other varieties (mm ) get checked for also??
the odds are stacked against sms but I have to try. crazy u ask? yes thats for sure sms crazy proof 89,
if i was a coin in a plastic holder. maybe even defective planchet or 90 % off center.

"Endevour to persevere"
if I can quote a movie
the outlaw josey wales

ps feel free to send me a real Sms quarter 1964 I just might need one. lol

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

whats a D mint have to do with anything ???

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2017 3:37PM

Well the D minted were not in the SMS sets at all were they?

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1964 SMS coins did not have a mint mark on them.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

@OldEastside said:
    whats a D mint have to do with anything ???

Steve

I am refering to a 1964 d nickel sold for a premium price as it had been struck with a
    die specially prepared for the next years sms type coins. the fictional set would be nearly impossible to assemble for it does not exist. dated 1964 , regardless of its mint mark , a coin having been struck with a certain die pairing would be considered a numismatic rarity. like a pattern or test strike, die trial piece. And may not have been intended for circulation or to be sold to the public. However they are in collections and occasionally are sold at auction. "even bearing a d mintmark which only represents the city in wich that coin series was to be minted."
    so if all sms coins bear no mintmark and werent minted untill 1965 , I'm really building my own type set dated 1964 aand the nickel you see has been called the 1964 sms type since it was first noticed. I say sms type coin. proof like and special strike are less specific. the odds of having one unauthorized nickel 1964 intended to be 1965 sms are roughly 200 million to one.
    so I've kept this rare nickel for twenty years waiting for people to stop saying things like "not in the sms sets at all" and "never struck with a d mint mark" That day wont dawn for at least sixty more years. or untill I see my own coin on the internet when I search rarest jefferson nickles.
    I'm also waiting for a couple other varieties to surface. untill then im promoting my variety coin
    as best I can. stay the course. positive thinking. do your best dont give up. and who cares what other people say. Your comments included.

the coin also speaks for itself kinda like a tree fell in the woods
    Well I heard every tree that ever fell in all the woods
    when i was listening.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

with poor pictures and a good story I can have the only minted 1792 over 3 half disme.

So, post large, clear pictures of both sides or this is all a waste of time.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets see some proof, otherwise you are wasting everyone's time. Pictures, auction records, something of value to back up what you are saying. Let's just say I want to see something that makes it unofficially official. Considering that Washington Quarters are one of my most knowledgeable areas it could have a large interest factor with me.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As noted above, it is difficult to offer assistance without more detail - i.e. good pictures...You will receive detailed, professional advice if you provide the proper material for analysis.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file