LANGBORD - CERT. DENIED

Unfortunate

John Loalbo

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now we can lay this debackle down to rest.

• Options
    rhlrhl Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Even though it was the likely outcome you have no idea how hurt and angry we all feel.

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Can Trump write an executive order to give the family back their coins? If so, how do you get his attention?

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    Damn

That is what one fish said to the other when he swam into a wall.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

One person I think is probably happy about this is the owner of the one example that is legal to own...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe the critical issues of this case as it relates to CAFRA were not considered worthy of consideration by the court. It would seem to me that for all practical purposes CAFRA is now null and void as a result.

• Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

So the real question is, now that those 10 are off the table....How many are still out there?

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 8:06AM

From the Supreme Court's website:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docketfiles/16-612.htm

Apr 17 2017 Petition DENIED. Justice Gorsuch took no part in the consideration or decision of this petition

Somewhere, King Farouk is laughing.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the attorny heard to say, "That's the way the cookie crumbles."?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sad.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 9:25AM

Long saga.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

No good deed goes unpunished...

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

When corruption reigns... it pours.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a total bummer, sorry to hear that.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if I understand the thread, the Langbord family has to return the coin(s) to the rightful owner. I was in the distinct minority and have thought this was the correct outcome from the start. all the legal wrestling aside, it comes down to a single point from MyLoftyPerch --- should a reasonable person have known that the coin(s) were illegal to own?? good old slippery Izzy Switt knew the answer.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

very disappointing

• Options
    edited April 17, 2017 11:43AM

@keets said:
    if I understand the thread, the Langbord family has to return the coin(s) to the rightful owner. I was in the distinct minority and have thought this was the correct outcome from the start. all the legal wrestling aside, it comes down to a single point from MyLoftyPerch --- should a reasonable person have known that the coin(s) were illegal to own?? good old slippery Izzy Switt knew the answer.

The mere fact that insiders (of the government, by the government and for the government) took it upon themselves to get those "coins" graded , opens a can of worms. Let's get reasonable. Then they paraded them from ANA show to ANA show. I disagree with you on many points regarding the way government operates outside of it's own authority, yet somehow that's "okay".

• Options

Joe, cool your Libertarian jets.

Izzy knew he had coins he shouldn't have and his actions to conceal their whereabouts sort of confirms that fact. I don't view the whole thing as a Big Bad Government issue, but maybe everyone's perceived hero will suit up and save the poor, trod upon Langbord family. I ain't counting on it.

I figure the whole thing worked itself out and "due process" can hold up its head. I hope we have heard the last of it but I fear we have not.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disappointing........I was rooting for the Langbord family.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought they should be legal until I read the two books on them 10 or so years ago. Totally convinced me the Government was in the right on this case. I have seen nothing to make me change my mind.

(and you don't have many property rights now, stop paying your taxes and see how long you keep your property)

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Izzy knew he had coins he shouldn't have and his actions to conceal their whereabouts sort of confirms that fact. I don't view the whole thing as a Big Bad Government issue, but maybe everyone's perceived hero will suit up and save the poor, trod upon Langbord family. I ain't counting on it.

I figure the whole thing worked itself out and "due process" can hold up its head. I hope we have heard the last of it but I fear we have not.

I have to agree. These coins didn't sit hidden in a large SDB for that long without reason and I find it really hard to believe they kept getting looked over because they had been hidden with papers etc...

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 12:42PM

They were stolen property. Would we not want the same justice if 20 years from now someone listed at auction your entire stolen coin collection?
    Smithsonian Example last summer.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

the SDB had to be drilled open.

even the gub'mint writes that in their filing.

and conceal? lots of people on here with SDB must have illegal coins....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

They sure had a famous lawyer! Too bad about the coins!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the outcome we all wanted. I know I'm disappointed. It shouldn't be like this. JMO

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankie Roosevelt is now quite happy.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Keets, the executive order allowed for the "holding of no more than $200 in aggregate" of U.S. gold coinage.

That means Izzy could have kept 10 of the 1933 DE's , and in conformity of law. Ten times $20 is $200 in aggregate. Does that make him a thief ? A liar ? A scoundrel ? The fact that other 1933 coins were attributed to him throughout time, to me, only confirms one thing. He had more than the $200 in aggregate. Perhaps he knew (interpreted law) he could hide away 20 ten dollar gold coins, or 200 one dollar gold coins , or ten of every dated $20 gold with the same dates on them.
    It wasn't as if Roosevelt was demanding death to the hobby. On the contrary. The executive order allowed it to continue well on, until someone in government sparked an outrage over the news that "So and So" bought a 1933 Gold Double eagle in auction, ... and that monster's been alive since. That's when the government took the Draconian route.
    My contention remains the same. He (Izzy) could have legally gotten a few out to "would-be" collectors and he was probably a " modern coin geek dealer ", except ... he's not here to tell me the rest of the story.

Do we beat the dealer down throughout history because that's the way we do it around here ?
    The world went on, and collectors did, too. As much as you'd like to say justice is finally served, I would argue that the same verbiage you use toward me ( as libertarian who's jets are fired, lol.... ), is the same kind of verbiage used throughout history to label others, and maybe vilify them, so as to discredit sound theory.
    I disagree with you, in that our justice system got this right. For the sake of diverting attention away from the facts let's bring up politics. :smiley:

As to my jets, you should be grateful I got a fire burning. This hobby might otherwise be diminished sooner, if not for guys like you, me and countless others who hold it kind of sacred. And I think most of us would like to see those ( 1933 Double Eagles) go piece by piece to collectors through an auction process to see who might like them.
    On that note, I just bought a Sara Polk gold spouse proof coin for $650 in the shop, today. I paid more than spot. Just think, I could have traded it in for a new spouse back in the old days.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 2:16PM

So sorry to hear this Roy. Government overreach run amok and all reasonable recourse has been abandoned.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote we give Berke a do over due to 'mis guided legal strategy', call it even and proceed again! ;)

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this now finally over? Melt 'em, Danno!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their first mistake was to listen to the attorney that told them to have the MINT evaluate the gold coins.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that the case is over, someone needs to write a book about this whole affair (Roger?). If the general public knew the facts about the case, that there was a open period where these coins could have legally left the mint before the FDR order, what would they think? IMO, this is an issue about property rights in the US and whether the federal government is overstepping citizen rights. Clearly the general public would be interested? Little detail has ever been written about this case, only sound bytes in online news.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 3:47PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    I vote we give Berke a do over due to 'mis guided legal strategy', call it even and proceed again! ;)

His strategy certainly differs from my thinking, which would have involved prying them from my death grip and screaming like that dude on the United flight!

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhl said:
    Here is the most disappointing thing about this case to me. At the very start, my father who was then alive, convinced me that given enough time and reason, the government would eventually always do the right thing. He was a decorated WWII combat veteran. He fought in the Pacific and grew up in the Great Depression. For my dad, Government saved our country. FDR got us out of the depression; Truman won WWII, Eisenhower built the interstate highways and established prosperity and JFK appealed to our best instincts. He never contemplated the power of today's bureaucratic state where it isn't about truth or doing the right or even the reasonable thing, its about winning for your side at all costs. He would have never believed that today's result would have been possible.

This comment speaks volumes. I wish I could be like your grandfather. I wish we all could. We can't right now.

I can especially feel for your family, as mine was attacked by the government as well. The justice system is corrupt. We're fine, I'm sure you'll be fine. But we don't need or deserve the government we have now.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 4:54PM

@Cakes said:

@keets said:

I have to agree. These coins didn't sit hidden in a large SDB for that long without reason and I find it really hard to believe they kept getting looked over because they had been hidden with papers etc...

The safety deposit box issue raised by keets is a red herring/pointless. If the Langbords had legally acquired the coins within the permitted window, Roosevelt's executive order would have been unconstitutional as applied to them and would have violated the Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment. The fact that the coins were hidden does NOT imply guilt; it might be an indication of distrust in the government (Israel Switt had issues with the government before) or not wanting to expend the funds to challenge the constitutionality of the retroactive application of Roosevelt's order to them. Both are perfectly valid reasons.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 4:52PM

@PTVETTER said:
    Their first mistake was to listen to the attorney that told them to have the MINT evaluate the gold coins.

I agree with this. I think the initial strategy was a poor one, especially from the CAFRA angle.

@rhl - I'm sorry for your family's loss in the litigation. I wish things had turned out differently. I know it is unlikely, but have you tried to garner publicity outside of the coin community? It is rare, but even after a judicial win, sometimes the government will do the right thing.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

:)

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    If you root for bullies, it's a great day.

That about sums this up, for me.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

I understand everyone's frustration here, but this isn't the type of case that the Supreme Court is going to take on. We care, but most people wouldn't even understand what it's about.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2017 6:19PM

I'm deeply saddened and sickened over the outcome.

Mr Langbord Im in NYC the next ten days. Id love to buy you a drink.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file