Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What happened to this coin?

Hey, probably a stupid question but what the heck happened here? I think it's obviously PMD but how on earth would they have done this? It has scratches like it's been circulated... Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    UnclePennyBagsUnclePennyBags Posts: 327 ✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2017 9:51PM

It looks to me like it was mounted on something... Maybe a money clip? The 4 marks on the back look like prong settings

Successful trades.... MichaelDixon,

• Options

The obverse would then be from pocket friction after years if it was a money clip it was mounted in

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's so obvious. Intergalactic aliens from zone Zargon warp Z°~<° are messing with the hobby. Human collector bots must band together to resist the TROLLIAN invasion.

• Options
    Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

UnclePennyBags I would have never thought about that! Nice one! I could see that happening.

• Options

Spartcom5, I agree with you. IT IS A STUPID QUESTION!

• Options
    edited April 12, 2017 10:19PM

Ok cool, thanks for the input.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's kind of neat.

• Options
    edited April 12, 2017 11:27PM

Goodnight.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 823 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like someone did some tooling around. I see a flat spot on the rim at 2 O'clock like it's been squeezed. The obverse shows a lot of tool marks all in the same direction. Possible whizzing, and polishing. Somehow material was removed with a tool. I don't think pocket friction would reflect a pattern of tool mark lines in parallel directions. . Maybe someone with experience in this will help out. I'm curious as well.

• Options

@air4mdc said:
    Looks like someone did some tooling around. I see a flat spot on the rim at 2 O'clock like it's been squeezed. The obverse shows a lot of tool marks all in the same direction. Possible whizzing, and polishing. Somehow material was removed with a tool. I don't think pocket friction would reflect a pattern of tool mark lines in parallel directions. . Maybe someone with experience in this will help out. I'm curious as well.

I've taken several out of money clips.... I'd put $100 bet on it but you see what you want to see

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Spartcom5 .... actually, that is a very good question. It is an unusually well worn Kennedy half. The suggestion of being part of a money clip is very good if it were also carried in a pocket with a lot of change. The fact that the edge is worn down to the copper in one area is indicative of positional wear - i.e. it maintained the same, or relatively the same, position while the wear was taking place. This might be more indicative of belt buckle wear.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited April 13, 2017 5:01AM

@ricko said:
    @Spartcom5 .... actually, that is a very good question. It is an unusually well worn Kennedy half. The suggestion of being part of a money clip is very good if it were also carried in a pocket with a lot of change. The fact that the edge is worn down to the copper in one area is indicative of positional wear - i.e. it maintained the same, or relatively the same, position while the wear was taking place. This might be more indicative of belt buckle wear.... Cheers, RickO

I was thinking that but usually see dollar size coins in the buckles and then seems to be a even split between halves and dollars in the money clips.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UnclePennyBags...I agree, it is unusual to see a half in a belt buckle... but here is one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121754748983 - and another https://www.etsy.com/listing/121092844/kennedy-half-dollar-belt-buckle So they are out there.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can pcgs still grade it based only on the reverse (or acid date the front)? If so that would be a specially neat coin (unless it works its way into a problem grade).

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Can pcgs still grade it based only on the reverse (or acid date the front)? If so that would be a specially neat coin (unless it works its way into a problem grade).

Best case, they'd say a mount was removed, based on the reverse rim damage. The date is 1977. Can't tell if a lump from a D is visible or not. My first reaction to the obverse was that there was a soak in acid involved, but extremely heavy use in a money clip sounds plausible. If @UnclePennyBags has pulled them out of clips in this condition, I won't argue with that.

I'm a little surprised clad would wear down this much, but perhaps it belonged to someone who got their hands dirty for a living.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

No. They won't slab it without a date and what makes you think this would straight grade? :D:D

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:

@abcde12345 said:

No. They won't slab it without a date and what makes you think this would straight grade? :D:D

And another thing....why does everything need to be in a slab? There are actually some coins that should be enjoyed as-is, and this is one of them.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is one of one. Stand alone. Unique. Have you ever seen another 1977 like this? Neither has pcgs (probably). Does pcgs net grade based on the front being a poor and the back being an extra fine?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is post mint damage - that hardly qualifies it for special status other than a curiosity.

• Options

Thanks everyone! I have it in a 2x2 currently, I knew it was interesting when I saw it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file