Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My one year giveaway

MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2017 2:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi everyone!

A few days ago I was on my user page and noticed my one year anniversary of joining this forum was fast approaching and that day happens to be today. I have been a member on other forums throughout the past few years but this one has become my favorite. I may not contribute as much as I should but I really enjoy reading all of the posts and soaking in the huge breadth of knowledge here. I have learned a lot over the past year from many contributors on coins I didn't even know existed. It has expanded my interests greatly and increased my passion in collecting. Since joining my collection has increased two or threefold and involves many higher quality coins instead of buying every last coin I could even if they were dogs and priced accordingly. I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the daily contributors and that I look forward to continuing to be a part of this great community!

Now for the giveaway that everyone opened this post to find.
One of my favorite parts of being a member on this forum is reading all the stories about how people run across coins that become the prize of their collection, or just another coin in their collection with an interesting background. I really just love a good read about anything, but coins just get me up and going.
Please tell me a story about one coin in your collection and how you came to acquire it, pictures would be preferred as well.
There are two prizes (photo attached) winner gets first choice and second place gets the other item. I will keep the contest open until Sunday at noon.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 3:05PM

Here is the story. Back in the late 1980's I got a call from a coin dealer looking for folks to "invest" in rare coins. He was nearby so I thought I would drop in.

My coin IQ was negligible and the well appointed office looked a little over the top for a coin dealership. Sat down with the fellow and looked through a book filled with raw coins. A few of the early gold's were breathtaking, but my eye caught a Columbian Expo half.

Price tag was $8000.

I left the office and never had any serious thought of buying anything from these guys. The half though did stick in my mind for some time. Fifteen or so years later I got into collecting and found that the $8000 coin was a high pop and could be picked up in decent mint state for under $100.

I have bought several since. This AU58 in an old NGC holder is my favorite.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2017 4:18PM

:wink:
    Ranger @ricko had a ten foot... no wait.
    On a warm sunny day @Longacre was riding in a fine automobile when some one pulled along side and said "pardon me, Sir, do you have any Grey..."
    no wait
    I'm not saying @Batman23 really is batman, but have we ever seen him AND Batman in the same room? On the same Bat-channel? No wait....
    The time @commeman made a funny comment and another insightful one...
    I laughed at comments by @rawteam1 and then I almost died laughing when @savoyspecial once said to someone " I love your posts... I'm drunk too."
    The time when @FredWeinberg and @CaptHenway gave some expert advice in a thread where @BigDowgie posted and awesome Nickel photo owned by @nickelJones that brought the Nickel Superstar B. Nagengast @ICEBOXBERN to the forum, who is one of my coin heros, AND he responded to a comment I made! Which was awesome!
    Speaking of awesome, a word I should find a thesaurus and alter its use, this site is really great and I had ezcellent BST transactions with @toyz4geo @GRANDAM @davewesen @DIMEMAN

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 8:17PM

A couple of weeks ago, I was real as ed from work early due to slow sales and I tuned in to the Heritage auction and just flipped through the proxy bids for the night. I spotted an 1853 quarter and noticed that it was the 1853/4 overdate. I won it at a good price and will have it crossed over from its present old white ANACS holder and attributed soon.

"If you persist in your efforts you will achieve a dream come true" Queensryche

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2017 8:43PM

My daughter's first coin purchase.

It was few weeks ago, when I decided to bring my 6 years old daughter to a local coin show. I asked her what would she like during the ride there. And her reply was the biggest and shiniest coin.

During the show, I told her to choose any coin. And the first coin that caught her eyes was a Morgan in Carson City slab. However I told her that she won't be able to play with it unless we destroyed the case. So we moved on to other tables. And there it was. A huge sterling Silver Proof Medallion.

I asked the dealer how much was it. And he replied $80. Then I asked the weight of the coin. He felt it with his hand then said around 3 oz. So I offered him $60 while explained to him that I would only pay a couple dollars over silver spot per oz. He agreed to the offer and sold it to me.

Once we got back to the car, we couldn't wait to play with it. But I started to realize that it might be heavier than 3 oz. So I goggled the coin information. It weighted 2000 grains of .925 silver or a total silver weight of 3.85 Troy Oz. In other words, my daughter had just earned her first $10 off the coin if we decided to sell it at silver melt value the same day.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2017 6:13PM

"""During the show, I told her to choose any coin. And the first coin that caught her eyes was a Morgan in Carson City slab. However I told her that she won't be able to play with it unless we destroyed the case. So we moved on to other tables."""

Good move! :)

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my favorite coin. I buy and sell a lot of $2 1/2 Indians. The seller pics showed nothing special, so I just lucked out that I won it. Here are the seller's pictures:

After it arrived, the true color blew me away. This is the coin that got me hooked on toned gold. I ended up sending it to NGC and it graded MS62.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found roll searching...made my day :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Here is my favorite coin. I buy and sell a lot of $2 1/2 Indians. The seller pics showed nothing special, so I just lucked out that I won it. Here are the seller's pictures:

After it arrived, the true color blew me away. This is the coin that got me hooked on toned gold. I ended up sending it to NGC and it graded MS62.

Wow that turned out very nice!! I like it, I just sent a few coins to Justin to photograph for me and I hope they turn out as well as yours did. :)

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2017 9:46AM

The first coin I ever purchased at a show was a coin similar to this one in low VF condition. Ever since that moment, I was hooked! It took many years, twenty or so, for me to pick up a nice BU example ...and with some nice color in it to boot!! This is a tough coin to locate in uncirculated condition and low and behold on eBay, I found a rather prolific seller that has a reputation for selling his own TPG holders that are not up to the standard of our host! He had this coin up for sale starting at $0.99 and I genuinely drooled when I saw it! I later had it stickered, because I thought I'd would be fun. I still avidly collect the series today! :)

photo IMG_0143_zps36cc7e22.jpg

photo IMG_0132x_zps847a39a2.jpg

photo IMG_0140x_zpsf6bbb2f3.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2, 2017 5:29PM

Sorry I am late to pick the winners but @TurboSnail congrats! On winning and the great buy for your daughter :)
    Please message me which item you would like. Second was really close as well, I liked all of them but I am going to go with @jwitten . Please message me your address and I will tell you which one you will be receiving.
    Thanks to those who participated!

• Options

Thanks for the giveaway MM94. You selected two worthy winners.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2017 5:54PM

Thanks!! This will be another story to tell my kids as they grow older. The story of how their dad shamelessly using them to get all the freebie to support their hobby and paid for their college tuition. ;)

• Options

Whoo hoo! Thanks for the contest!

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to mention, with my entry I was only hoping to win a virtual high five.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to the winners.... And thanks @MorganMan94 for a great contest with a neat twist.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    My daughter's first coin purchase.

It was few weeks ago, when I decided to bring my 6 years old daughter to a local coin show. I asked her what would she like during the ride there. And her reply was the biggest and shiniest coin.

During the show, I told her to choose any coin. And the first coin that caught her eyes was a Morgan in Carson City slab. However I told her that she won't be able to play with it unless we destroyed the case. So we moved on to other tables. And there it was. A huge sterling Silver Proof Medallion.

I asked the dealer how much was it. And he replied $80. Then I asked the weight of the coin. He felt it with his hand then said around 3 oz. So I offered him $60 while explained to him that I would only pay a couple dollars over silver spot per oz. He agreed to the offer and sold it to me.

Once we got back to the car, we couldn't wait to play with it. But I started to realize that it might be heavier than 3 oz. So I goggled the coin information. It weighted 2000 grains of .925 silver or a total silver weight of 3.85 Troy Oz. In other words, my daughter had just earned her first $10 off the coin if we decided to sell it at silver melt value the same day.

How awesome is that! I love it

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

Very nice.!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:

@1630Boston said:

Found roll searching...made my day :smile:

However would a coin like that fit into a roll?

I agree. I asked the same question elsewhere on this board. It's possible you can find one in a mint sewn bag, but usually a bank counting machine won't allow an O/C one through it's works. In all my years of roll busting I never found an O/C from a roll.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! I'll be sure to post a giveaway when I hit that mark. Here's a tough luck story of mine when I was a YN.

During the summer of 1981, Dad took us on a family trip to Niagara Falls. I was 7 years old at the time. One of the moments I looked forward to on the trip was when Dad would spend some of his Canadian money at a shop, tourist site, or, restaurant- he'd hand me a few Canadian coins. By the end of the trip- I built up a nice cache of Canadian coins. When we got back home- I put all my Canadian change in 2 x 2's, and put Canada along with the year on each holder.

Well, after the school year started later that summer, we had a show and tell day and I brought all my Canadian coins in to share with my classmates. Following show and tell we had a recess break, and a few classmates asked to look at my coins. One girl asked if she could have one, and I agreed, then another asked, and pretty soon all my classmates had a Canadian coin. They were all happy, and I was quite popular!

My 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Krill was aware what happened, and asked to speak with me at the end of the day. She asked me if it was okay with my Father to be giving away my coins, and I told her yes. She said to me that she'd need a note from Dad saying it was okay, and asked all my classmates to give the coins back to me until I had permission. I can remember a collective, "awwwhhhh," and I was embarrassed, and pretty unsure of the task that lay ahead in asking Dad. I tried convincing Mrs. Krill it was okay; but she sensed I was lying. I can remember her saying, "Richard, you're just going to have to bite the bullet and ask your Dad for permission."

I went home and asked Dad, and he told me "NO"! He wasn't responsive to my pleading, knowing I had to tell my classmates the next day. I dreaded that moment going back to class empty handed.

In school the following day I had to tell each of my classmates Dad said no, and sorry. I burst a lot of bubbles that day, and regretted having brought my coins to school for show and tell.

Below is one of the original coins that I gave away to one of my classmates, "Nicole," she wrote her name on it sometime before I got it back.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I win please donate my prize to a youthful collector. That's my way of giving back.

• Options

Got my prize today! Thanks again!!

• Options
    edited April 10, 2017 6:00PM

Something in the mail today~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file