Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photo certificate type I have never seen before

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a new one on me!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they were marketed by a boiler-room operation, but I haven't seen one in a very long time. I don't think it was really ANA, the boiler room guy may have been a member.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you could infer that that holder caused toning. :)

Pretty neat item.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen them often and own a few. Generally overgraded by today's standards but have seen some the other way also. In fact, on eBay in the last 3-6 months, there have been quite a few of these.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

The Title says ANA Certificate. So I was expecting to see an old ANA Photo Cert. This seems a kind of misleading.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 1:25PM

These are not rare, but still not super common. You can catch them for an affordable price auctioned on ebay if the key words are missing (i.e. "photo cert" or "rare grader"). I've seen some sell for as low as about $30. If it's a generic coin, I'd say expect the price to be around $45-$75.

As @Wabbit2313 mentioned, the coins are usually over graded (maybe even lightly cleaned every so often), but nice ones are available as well.

Here is a thread with some pictures of these:
    http://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9814

Note that the FCS version mentioned in the above thread looks to be more scarce and might have had better grading standards.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen these before... most recently on ebay....Have not purchased any.... Not a slab/holder collector. Though if the coin attracted me, I would buy it even in such a holder. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely misleading - they were claiming to be ANA members (but not using the proper logo).

I picked one up at PNNA a couple years back - decent Franklin - for about $35.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file