Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Re-Engraved proof varieties

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 28, 2018 12:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

While I am very enthusiastic about the new cherry pickers proof varieties, it seems to have "lackluster" support or interest.
Other collectors, dealers, numismatic minds are encouraged to weigh in...

I think of them as the new or final frontier of "old modern" coins. Doubled dies, Tripled dies and more, RPMs, have mostly been attributed in series like Jeffersons, silver Roosies, silver Washington quarters.

The recent publication of the re engraved stuff as given me a chance to enter "the playing field" so to speak, and acquire varieties without the staggering expenses linked with BU ddr/ddo/rpm of longstanding fame. I have made it my interest to find and acquire as many diverse examples as I can stretch money to afford or trade for.
I am confident I have identified multiple unlisted varieties, but does anyone else care?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know that I am a fan of these varieties, but everybody has their own ideas as to what to collect. Just collect them and enjoy them.

What do you think of the 1938-S nickel that may (or may not) have the steps re-engraved on the die from six steps to four?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

The 38 s. I love it. I am admittedly a little jealous but happy it was discovered! I am a Jefferson Nickel enthusiast of the most devoted proportions. I, of course, checked all of mine and all in local store and in Vegas this weekend. I found a 51 pr ddo, 54 S DDR, 38 ddo 013, and as yet I haven't narrowed down the 71 and 71 proof. No luck with the 38 S. I would love to hold and examine it with my microscope.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love varieties and have for more than a quarter of a century.
    On a casual level, even longer than that.
    In 1972 my grandmother who lived in NC sent me a new 1972 Ike. It was a Philly.
    I recognized something different about the reverse(it was a high relief) so I must have been interested even way back then.

I have a special interest in Lincoln varieties, and Jeffersons are a close 2nd.
    All my long-winded crap aside, I just can't find myself intrigued by the re-engraved proof varieties.
    Don't know why.....just can't.

A good friend of mine and fellow cherrypicker goes bonkers about RPMs but has absolutely no interest in doubled dies.
    That one I can't figure out.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a mint mark man.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the "Superbird" 1952 Proof Quarter, that's been re-engraved! ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That '38-S with re-engraved steps sounds interesting... I like unique specimens and that sounds like one.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be carting a PCGS PR-67 '52 Washington FS-902 to Baltimore. We'll see how much interest there is.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love RPM's and RPD's and MPD's much more that DDO' and DDR's. Don't know why....I just do.

Although I would love to have a 1955 DDO Lincoln! :)

• Options
    edited March 31, 2017 6:41PM

@coindeuce said:
    I'll be carting a PCGS PR-67 '52 Washington FS-902 to Baltimore. We'll see how much interest there is.

Wow that's a big ticket grade-variety. Nice

I got these today. A new 1954 variety and two published 54 variety

• Options

It looks like a bunch of these varieties have now been recognized on variety vista. I’m still picking these here and there, although I’ve misplaced a few that haven’t been slabbed yet.

Link to vista page of Re engraved obverse varieties
    http://www.varietyvista.com/04a JN DD Vol 1/Obverse Design Varieties.htm

• Options

I am still passionate about the many different re engraved proof varieties. There are several across many years and denominations, cents, Nickels, quarters, half.

Thought I would bump this. :)

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2019 4:01PM

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I am still passionate about the many different re engraved proof varieties. There are several across many years and denominations, cents, Nickels, quarters, half.

Thought I would bump this. :)

Bumped ;)

Franklin halves have some nice REDs. There a several in 1950, 1951, and 1952 Proofs. I think REDs are unique. They show the “hand-of-man” as a testimony to workmanship. An individual sat down at a workbench and, with the tools of their trade, improved the aesthetic quality of the product for which they were responsible. This change bore their signature for eternity. Took me a while to find this RED-001. It is a 1952 PCGS Proof 66 Cameo:

unus multorum

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file