Options

"We Trust" missing completly from 2003 D Penny

2»

Comments

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@pmac said:
    Looking at all the lines in that area, I think Dremel is involved. Just my opinion.

It's a zlincoln. There would be exposed zinc if a tool was used to grind down the letters.

Yes, this. No way it was modified after the fact, the core would be exposed.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    CNCMACHINISTCNCMACHINIST Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Great comments! I will weigh the coin and post additional info after work today.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's from the same thing as the obverse
    missing lettering - grease.

Sometimes it's on one side of the die only,
    and sometimes it's on both sides.

A tapered thin planchet means it (the blank) was not
    the proper thickness when it was punched out from
    the planchet strip - it could be rolled thin, or the
    (tapered) end of the strip.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

I weighed the coin and it was 2.52 grams, I also weighed another 2006 D and got 2.5 g. Just thought this info may help.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a tolerance for coins,
    and to me, 2.5 as the official weight,
    and 2.52 are the same; well within tolerance

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Thanks for the clarification on the weight!

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool CNCMACHINIST! A lot of neat errors floating around in circulation. Not as dramatic as yours, but I found a 1984 in circulation with a missing "IN."

• Options

Awesome Great picture!!

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

I agree with Fred here( a wise thing to do!).
    I think it looks legit...grease filled.
    JMHO.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file