Home Metal Detecting

Buy gold or a metal detector ? Help me.

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I built my first detector with parts from Radio Shack, a plastic plant pot, and a broken broom handle.
When I was about 12 years old, from a 'Popular Mechanics' magazine that was about 10 years old when I found it gathering dust in a closet on the homestead.
I've detected since then for decades but never really spent much money on the machine.
In your folks educated opinion what should I buy?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

buy the detector, and the gold will follow...or at least buy gold with the change you find.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 My thought exactly, thanks. :smile:
    I know this is a much asked question...................but your suggestion on a brand/model ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

If you're looking for silver coins, I think the Minelab Etrac is the best machine on the market. I'd be happy to sell you one of my extra Etracs; but, my opinion on the Etrac has nothing to do with my desire to sell my extras.

Thanks, @Bayard1908 , I will research that brand :smile:

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much depends on what type of MD'ing you will be doing... parks and lawns, nugget hunting, cache hunting, water/beach hunting.... My suggestion is to get a White's metal detector - depending on what type of searching you are interested in.... White's has cutting edge technology, great and reliable machines and incomparable customer service. Cheers, RickO

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nugget hunting? Park hunting? big difference in machine to use. In the park you want a detector with a display that will tell you depth, type of metal (approx). In the desert or mountains no display is needed, just a good machine. Whites is excellent. I prefer my Lobo as it's lightweight but no display. Great for desert. No so for parks, etc. I own a Whites VSat as well and love it but weight got to my shoulder. Minelab is at the top of price and quality and you won't go wrong with one. Lot's of good machines out there.
    Might try a newer pot and longer broom handle as I presume you've grown a bit....

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Thanbks @AUandAG
    Mostly yards and construction site...........some in 1600's era locations. :smile:

Then get one with the display, might help with the digging and junk in the ground.
    Don't have that problem (not much anyway) in the desert looking for nuggets. I dig all.

bob

My old one, not the 'plastic plant pot' ,had a display and it helped.
    Thanks very much, before I buy I may consult with you :smile:

Good luck around the 1600's sites... maybe find a pine tree shilling...Cheers, RickO

Doubtful, but one never knows what lurks below the surface :smile:

Such coins...and colonial copper... have been found many times by detectorists.... so maintain a positive outlook and keep the coil to the soil..... :D Cheers, RickO

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I use a Garrett AT Pro, as do about half the members of my local club (50 users out of about 100 members). Whites and Fisher are also popular with our club members. If possible, see what models your local populace is using. I think different machines work better in different environments and soil types. Best of luck whatever you buy.

I travel 100 or more miles a day on local roads covering about 20% of the state and have not seen a detector in use in the last 20 years ? :smile:

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have a budget you'd like for the detector?

Of course a few hundred dollars would be nice....but 1,000 is not out of the question....
    I guess 750 would be a good budget. :smile:

I often see MD'rs in my area... well, not so much in the winter, but in spring, summer and fall, they are quite common....In that price range, I still recommend the White's V3i.... Cheers, RickO

Thanks all for the input :smile:

Found a new V3i for 1349.00, not sure if that's a fair price..............or should I consider a used one? :smile:

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Found a new V3i for 1349.00, not sure if that's a fair price..............or should I consider a used one? :smile:

I've owned dozens of metal detectors, never bought a brand new one and have never had a problem. You can usually save up to 50% by buying used.

I'd think twice before buying a V3i though. White's was the top brand back in the 1970s, and the present company is largely coasting on its old reputation.

Thanks for the input @Bayard1908 :smile:

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a Fisher CZ70. If you haven't used one for awhile I'm with Bayard1908 about getting a used one. I would go to a detecting shop if available and check out what he has. Many times he will have used ones very reasonable.

That is a tad expensive...... Is that a shop price? Usually closer to $1100... They are a great machine and White's customer service is number one... Cheers, RickO

• CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I built my first detector with parts from Radio Shack, a plastic plant pot, and a broken broom handle.
    When I was about 12 years old, from a 'Popular Mechanics' magazine that was about 10 years old when I found it gathering dust in a closet on the homestead.
    I've detected since then for decades but never really spent much money on the machine.
    In your folks educated opinion what should I buy?

Wow! That's impressive.!.! I vote detector because it will provide hours of enjoyment outside.

Thanks @CyndieChildress
    All of the fancy [sophisticated] electronic toys of today are built upon simple principles and parts :smile:

@AUandAG said:
    Nugget hunting? Park hunting? big difference in machine to use. In the park you want a detector with a display that will tell you depth, type of metal (approx). In the desert or mountains no display is needed, just a good machine. Whites is excellent. I prefer my Lobo as it's lightweight but no display. Great for desert. No so for parks, etc. I own a Whites VSat as well and love it but weight got to my shoulder. Minelab is at the top of price and quality and you won't go wrong with one. Lot's of good machines out there.
    Might try a newer pot and longer broom handle as I presume you've grown a bit....

bob:)

Hi Bob ~ what would you recommend for someone with little experience for out in the woods?
    Thanks, Cyn

Any Whites, as most have a detachable "head" that makes it much lighter to swing just a wand. The "head" clips to your belt and takes the weight off the arm.
    Or, as I have done, do some research on weight. Some machines will tire you much faster than others unless you lift weights at the gym for a hobby! I just bought a Lobo as it is extremely light. Seems to work fine but have not been able to really test it as I just had a complete shoulder replacement last August and am still recovering.
    I think for the woods/desert just about any decent detector will do just fine. Of course no need for a "display" to show depth/metal type. Just did them all as there are much fewer hits than a park.
    bob

Great advice @AUandAG about digging all in the woods/desert, thanks and get well soon :smile:

@AUandAG said:
    Any Whites, as most have a detachable "head" that makes it much lighter to swing just a wand. The "head" clips to your belt and takes the weight off the arm.
    Or, as I have done, do some research on weight. Some machines will tire you much faster than others unless you lift weights at the gym for a hobby! I just bought a Lobo as it is extremely light. Seems to work fine but have not been able to really test it as I just had a complete shoulder replacement last August and am still recovering.
    I think for the woods/desert just about any decent detector will do just fine. Of course no need for a "display" to show depth/metal type. Just did them all as there are much fewer hits than a park.
    bob

I have had several back surgeries so I need something light, lol. Thanks again