Home U.S. Coin Forum

Good example of a gold coin with a puttied obverse that has turned

ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

1856-S-Liberty-Gold-Eagle-PCGS-AU-58

There might be something nice under that schmutz.

Comments

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure ?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing it. If it is the different tones you see in the left stars, that could just be luster breaks.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    Are you sure ?

Pretty sure, yes. Looks identical to a coin I owned that was subsequently conserved by PCGS.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I tune in. Always willing to learn something. I have to agree with you on that one.

Tom

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure of that, but sure seems like a lot of hits for a 58.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know enough to have an opinion, however, GC is a stand-up organization, so I asked Ian if PCGS has reviewed the coin.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure about this one.

It might possibly be poor form to comment on a coin in an open auction. If I was the consignor (I'm not) I wouldn't be very happy about negative comments, and if I was a potential buyer I wouldn't like the publicity and potential competition.

• JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

It might possibly be poor form to comment on a coin in an open auction. If I was the consignor (I'm not) I wouldn't be very happy about negative comments, and if I was a potential buyer I wouldn't like the publicity and potential competition.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it either and I completely agree with you.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might be right....or wrong.....but not good form to point out in a current auction w/o checking with the seller.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a kind of film on the obverse, without this, the coin appears proof-like. The reverse is nicer than a 58. I agree that the coin would benefit from conservation by PCGS.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it really looks like a putty job. but i concede i've only seen a few but this is on-par with them, from the images.

either way, i'm really glad GC started providing much better images. :)

as to bad form, it has saved some lemon coins from crossing the block and as many are posted from ebay vs other sites, and not many people speak up for ebay vs other sites, i'm not sure postings from other sites is any more bad form from one site to the next, especially considering how many known dealers sell on the bay or other sites and some occasionally get a bad form post here from legitimate concern, but not often.

the protocol issue is another matter entirely but if one suspects something afoul, one should certainly speak up if they have the knowledge to back up their claims. seeing lemon coins getting pulled from major auction sites gives me more confidence in them, not less. (personally)

i'm a bit shocked that some more gold collectors haven't spoken up about this coin with a plausible alternative to putty unless it is simply to not cause waves, which i hope is not the case. knowingly letting a coin go through like this (if turned out to be a lemon) would do far more harm than good, especially now that it is called into question. (legitimately so imo)

my 2c.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

Unless it's an ebay auction? Why the double standard?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh? I didn't say anything about eBay. I think it's bad form to comment on coins in any auction.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Huh? I didn't say anything about eBay. I think it's bad form to comment on coins in any auction.

Why? Is there more 'fiduciary duty' to the seller than to potential buyers? I'm playing devil's advocate here, largely because I am interested in the views of other collectors.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭

The idea that coins (or any item) currently in the market place get a free pass has never carried much water with me. Anyway, here's another example, before and after conservation. This one is privately held so no one should fuss. The photographers were not the same so you'll have to use your imaginations a bit.
    Before:

After:

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2017 7:24AM

@ranshdow said:

what a classy bust on that denom. especially post-putty. pretty obvious, even in that first pic. ty for sharing.

sure miss that real thumbs-up from the last forum version.

:smile:

added.

found it!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a coin is up for sale (auction or otherwise) and can be of questionable quality, it is proper to mention it.... no 'bad form' involved.... if the coin has issues, talk about it.... I would appreciate such commentary if I were buying.... as for sellers, well, do your homework. Not to mention, some sellers are aware of the issue anyway and not disclosing it. I am against letting someone get a bad deal....if they so choose to buy after warnings.... so be it. Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like putty to me.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    There is a kind of film on the obverse, without this, the coin appears proof-like. The reverse is nicer than a 58. I agree that the coin would benefit from conservation by PCGS.

• Ian

I find it refreshing that you reveal the issue in the description.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures, for the sake of thread history.
    Lance.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

not referring to you. Referring to the many, many times an ebay coin listing is questioned.

shouldn't all questionable coins should be publicly questioned. Does it matter what the venue is?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file