Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Do You Wish There Were More of on eBay?

KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes, you really need a certain item for your collection. You search everywhere, and find nothing. Then, hopeful, you search for it on eBay. You type your keywords into the search bar, and...nothing! Disappointed, you keep on searching.

Anyways, I was just wondering what people on the forums wish they saw more of on eBay?

For me personally, I wish I saw more numismatic books (specifically correctly described numismatic books :) )

Thanks!

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Better,more clear pictures and less "juiced" ones.... B)

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Draped best half dimes and turban head quarter eagles

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bargains. ;)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I checked the number of 1909-S VDB cents on Ebay. Searched for PCGS and NGC only. 200 coins came up.

The site has become a place to park inventory, rather than turn it.

• Options
    ATF CoinsATF Coins Posts: 107 ✭✭

Buyers

After the Flood Coins - Specializing in rainbow toned coins of all denominations. Formerly Chameleon Coins.

Successful deals with greencopper, Al21, AUandAG, wondercoin, KellenCoin, and you next.
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Informed sellers.

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find there's plenty of interesting material. The problem is the fees: Ebay + PayPal + Postage makes the ability to price things properly tough. Example: Right now I have an ASE set for sale both here on the BST forum and Ebay. You'll see the large price difference.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

More honest sellers.... A lot of scams and shady deals are there.... like walking through a heavily populated cow pasture.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2017 8:54AM

Sellers who give up on really crummy draped bust quarters and take them to the local shop or even the WE BUY GOLD place and just get RID of them.
    OR price them for their quality.
    Or lack of.
    :#

Or.... better yet.... send them in to Great Collections and let whoever wants them have them.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Animal skins to go with the animal spirits

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:
    I wish there were more $.99 start true auctions like there used to be. Ever since eBay changed policies, now everyone seems to prefer listing as buy it now. It's just not the same :'(

This. Every toned coin that I come across that I like is usually priced 50% higher than it should be on a BIN. And with no Make an Offer option...

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins that I need.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the Better Pictures crowd. Since Ebay has imposed soooo many rules and requirements now. I would like to see better pictures or don't bother listing your junk IMHO.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember, there is nothing that stops you from contacting a Seller who has a buy it now and making him/her an offer even though that box wasn't checked.

Sometimes they are willing just to move an item.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Honest people?

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

More realistic pricing.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2017 5:08PM

More of those $10.00 maximum final value added fee specials like the one eBay offered me last year. I was finally able to sell a $2,400.00 coin that I had been waiting to sell for a fair price without paying outlandish fees! That's the only time I've been offered that discount from eBay.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

More buyers that are willing to accept that they cannot buy coins for 1/2 what they are worth shipped for free! :smiley:

I've actually had offers that would not even cover the cost to ship...much less ebay and paypal fees!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Retail Buyers.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    More honest sellers.... A lot of scams and shady deals are there.... like walking through a heavily populated cow pasture.... Cheers, RickO

Really not true anymore, as even allowing for the random scumbag seller, eBay offers buyers pretty much foolproof protection, if they open and dispute a case. The burden of dealing with eBay scammers rests pretty much fully on the shoulders of sellers; I'm grateful to be an occasional seller and not have to make my living off of it.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

The specific coin that I`m looking for at that moment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest..... Certainly one can win a dispute... yes, with paypal and ebay protection one may not lose their money... however, there is still the major hassle... and those who are not experts get taken and sometimes do not know it until a long time later....too late to pursue redress. Gaining redress does not change the fact that scammers abound on ebay.... it merely means one 'may' not lose their money.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @originalisbest..... Certainly one can win a dispute... yes, with paypal and ebay protection one may not lose their money... however, there is still the major hassle... and those who are not experts get taken and sometimes do not know it until a long time later....too late to pursue redress. Gaining redress does not change the fact that scammers abound on ebay.... it merely means one 'may' not lose their money.... Cheers, RickO

Agreed, it may be a hassle -- and if you don't know better than to challenge something that is actually substandard, a buyer would be SOL. However, compared to how it used to be, buyers have 100% of the protection (and as a buyer, I do appreciate and make use of this protection if needed) and sellers most definitely take the risk on their shoulders. I would opine that there are as many, if not more, scumbag "buyers" on eBay as there are scumbag sellers. I recall David Finkelstein's post about how he got scammed out of a nice choice BU PCGS SVDB, for example.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish there were less AU coins being sold as Uncs. This really bugs me.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:
    I wish there were more $.99 start true auctions like there used to be. Ever since eBay changed policies, now everyone seems to prefer listing as buy it now. It's just not the same :'(

My first thought exactly. But as a seller on ebay I can understand the risk. I win and lose every month on 99¢ auctions. I don't generally use BIN unless I suspect that my LOSS will be greater than I want at this point. I can afford to save some material until the market turns and eventually that does happen on all material. Being that I'm plus 70 now my wait times are being reduced greatly! Generally gold is the only thing I will not do with a 99¢ auction. I have done a reserve from time to time but that really does not work well either.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2017 12:52PM

As a noob, I would prefer collections from private collectors and less dealers. It's more fun finding raw gems than a selection that had been cherry picked. Mint and proof sets for example, how many dealers took them apart and turn the higher grade coins into slabs?

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish that there was better monitoring by ebay to keep fakes and copies off on ebay. I look through classic commemoratives on a daily basis. It's unreal the number that you know are fake by looking at them. If it says from Russia or any other country you can be assured that 99 percent of the time it's not real.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:

Well if you were a seller would you like to see things going out the door for less that it now costs to ship them?
    BTW I've been there and done that.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really good deals on coins.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Selling promotions. And selling promotions useable on coins&paper money.

eBay has offered me a 25% eBay cashback promition on anything listed in a 2 week period, max $50. The catch - can't use it on coins&paper money.

Lucrative promotions may help bring coins out

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Really good deals on coins.

Same here.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always like $100 coins selling for $20 (except when I am the seller)

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheap, running Bulova Accutrons.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭

id like to see more buyers that can follow simple instructions. I ask newbie buyers with a feedback score of less than 50 to contact me before bidding or buying... simple contact. evidently, that's too difficult. I do this to weed out the low feedbackers that like to buy on approval, then try to make a buck while abusing my return privilege

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file