Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This Ebay scammer inquiry went to a dark place.

planonitplanonit Posts: 525 ✭✭
edited March 8, 2017 2:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ok so I have a history of going after scammers and obviously Ebay is filled with them so it is easy pickin'.

So a few weeks ago I spotted coins being sold under the Ebay account Babymae1 ebay.com/usr/babymae1?_trksid=p2047675.l2559.

Now this account had some nice seated liberty dollars but also had TWO 1873 No Arrows Open 3 Half Dollars. Ok major red flag. One was grade by a basement slabber I have never heard of: ebay.com/itm/1873-50-Cents-No-Arrows-Open-3-NO-RESERVE-/332135596357?hash=item4d54d30145%3Ag%3AFO4AAOSwx6pYreIZ&nma=true&si=UiJhk8XWiHELwou8eyRKqrJpM8o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557. The other was slabbed by known scammer "NCGS" (They have gone by many, many names over the years): ebay.com/itm/1873-Seated-Liberty-50-Cents-NO-ARROWS-OPEN-3-NO-RESERVE-/332134570174?hash=item4d54c358be%3Ag%3AFL4AAOSwOgdYrKtr&nma=true&si=UiJhk8XWiHELwou8eyRKqrJpM8o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was able to get most of the seated dollars removed and they got scared and removed one of the 1873 50c and I guess canceled the other one. Obviously not many people fell for it because the one 1873 50c that "sold" only got 80 bucks.

Anyway I started digging and got some information the user was using the phone number 702-689-1786 which is comes up as a now defunct "Martinez Auctions" in Vegas. They sold coins and used multiple auction sites to sell coins which is strange because this Ebay user told everybody these coins were recently acquired at a table auction and did the whole routine of playing dumb "Oh I just stumbled on these coins. I have no idea what they are.....". It was apparent to me this was nota novice selling coins that were fake but a scam artist.

It also turns out the owners of the now defunct "Martinez Auctions" is Kelleen Cota, Janette Martiez, and James Martinez who were recently released from jail pending trial over a slew of charges regarding scamming a 70 year old man who also turned up murdered in 2013 and they are suspects (not charged) in his murder:
reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/judge-grants-bail-unusual-requests-trio-linked-actor-s-death

Dealt with a lot of scammers but first time I have found one tied up in a homicide.

I have plans....sometimes

Comments

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@planonit said:> It also turns out the owners of the now defunct "Martinez Auctions" is Kelleen Cota, Janette Martiez, and James Martinez who were recently release from jail pending trial over a slew of charges regarding scamming a 70 year old man who also turned up murdered in 2013 and they are suspects (not charged) in his murder: <

Dark place may be an understatement.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2017 3:35PM

I'm glad you did your DD and detective work.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2017 10:53PM

Edited to say I don't believe a word you say after reading about you in another thread.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that's nuts !!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody ever said "I want to be an eBay scammer when I grow up". :(

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@planonit said:
    Ok so I have a history of going after scammers and obviously Ebay is filled with them so it is easy pickin'.

So a few weeks ago I spotted coins being sold under the Ebay account Babymae1 ebay.com/usr/babymae1?_trksid=p2047675.l2559.

Now this account had some nice seated liberty dollars but also had TWO 1873 No Arrows Open 3 Half Dollars. Ok major red flag. One was grade by a basement slabber I have never heard of: ebay.com/itm/1873-50-Cents-No-Arrows-Open-3-NO-RESERVE-/332135596357?hash=item4d54d30145%3Ag%3AFO4AAOSwx6pYreIZ&nma=true&si=UiJhk8XWiHELwou8eyRKqrJpM8o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557. The other was slabbed by known scammer "NCGS" (They have gone by many, many names over the years): ebay.com/itm/1873-Seated-Liberty-50-Cents-NO-ARROWS-OPEN-3-NO-RESERVE-/332134570174?hash=item4d54c358be%3Ag%3AFL4AAOSwOgdYrKtr&nma=true&si=UiJhk8XWiHELwou8eyRKqrJpM8o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was able to get most of the seated dollars removed and they got scared and removed one of the 1873 50c and I guess canceled the other one. Obviously not many people fell for it because the one 1873 50c that "sold" only got 80 bucks.

Anyway I started digging and got some information the user was using the phone number 702-689-1786 which is comes up as a now defunct "Martinez Auctions" in Vegas. They sold coins and used multiple auction sites to sell coins which is strange because this Ebay user told everybody these coins were recently acquired at a table auction and did the whole routine of playing dumb "Oh I just stumbled on these coins. I have no idea what they are.....". It was apparent to me this was nota novice selling coins that were fake but a scam artist.

It also turns out the owners of the now defunct "Martinez Auctions" is Kelleen Cota, Janette Martiez, and James Martinez who were recently released from jail pending trial over a slew of charges regarding scamming a 70 year old man who also turned up murdered in 2013 and they are suspects (not charged) in his murder:
    reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/judge-grants-bail-unusual-requests-trio-linked-actor-s-death

Dealt with a lot of scammers but first time I have found one tied up in a homicide.

Wow! Thanks for looking out for others.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good work, no shortage of scum out there.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good work!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they are invited to participate in this thread. I'd love to read their side of the story.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great investigative work... and thanks for posting. No doubt they will be back under other names.... Be careful out there..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not saying you're going to agree, why wouldn't you want to read the other side of the story? Seems strange.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, I would love to hear their side of the story. For some reason, I don't think they will come here to give it.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe "planonit" will share how his Africa trip went....

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're never coming back, unless they can access eBay from behind prison walls:

Updated September 15, 2017 - 12:27 am

The bullet hid for three-and-a-half years before anybody noticed it was there. The .38-caliber round sat inside a plastic table, next to the chair where police found a former actor with a gunshot wound to the head.

There it remained until his son heard a rattle when he moved the table in June.

The bullet proved key, authorities say, to linking Kelleen A. Cota, 57, to the 2013 shooting death of Charles Thomas Deishley.

Cota was arrested Thursday morning at a residence on the 3100 block of Bel Air Drive, near Maryland Parkway and Desert Inn Road.

She is being held at the Clark County Detention Center without bail on suspicion of first-degree murder with a deadly weapon and conspiracy to commit murder.

Cota, Janette Anais Martinez and James Anthony Martinez-Amador were previously accused of defrauding Deishley of nearly $1 million. A grand jury indicted them in August 2016 on charges of racketeering, embezzlement, forgery, obtaining money under false pretenses and grand larceny.

The indictment linked the three to his death, but none had been accused of murder until a warrant for Cota’s arrest was issued Sept. 7.

Court records show a warrant for Martinez-Amador’s arrest wa

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file