Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are these bogus grading services or...???

CaliforniaGoldConnCaliforniaGoldConn Posts: 27
edited March 7, 2017 10:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I bought these from a client, and it's obvious to me the coins are legit, but the grading services seem to a different story. Both have web addresses on the back, and both go nowhere.

Were these a legit 3rd party grading services at one time? I'm thinking of pulling them out and sending them in to the PCGS.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2017 10:13PM

I hope you got them around melt.

Never heard of them. Only TPG accepted by ebay is PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG.

I would recommend you crack the coins out and send to PCGS as they are certainly worth paying a grading fee for. The fact the web addresses go nowhere answers your question. Ever seen the movie - Mimic?

Coins & Currency
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen those slabs before. Notice how they try to mimic the look of NGC holders.
    Probably "self-slabbed" basement outfit.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same logo
    Same colors
    Same fonts
    Same same same

Except for ngS and pNgs

Obvious ripoff a of PCGS and NGC

I'd be fearful the coins are also knockoffs

Where did you buy them?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

3rd to 4th tier slabs - I pay melt for them

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

The flip states "Guaranteed Authentic," even though the web site doesn't exist.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Thank you for the input, that's about what I figured. I'm going to pop them out and send them in.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one from NGS and it graded 2 points lower than the slab. But that is what I expected.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only info I could find is they are self slabbers and don't accept submissions from anyone.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

If yall are finding decent $10 Indians near melt, let me in on your secret please!

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to start searching for NGS on eBay.
    I found about 50 coins that are all NGC with NGS in the title.. :#

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen the NGS slabs before ... at coin shows in Seattle... I asked about them here back in 2002 or 2003... was told they were an obscure group then... Cheers, RickO

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen both those slabs at different times. I am guess that both coins are AU from the images, if they are in fact authentic.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should be treated like raw gold. What you also have to consider is that they may be in those holders because there is a problem with the coin.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure what you got them for, but they look AU

• KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭

SGS is also a bad company.

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS is the top, NGC is a very distant and bitter second and the rest (others than some periods in ANACS history) are a variation on shite.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Yes any of these slabs made to look like the real one's are normally knock offs. I would be more concerned if the coins are real. There are so many people out there that are buying coins made in China that look very real, they are even doing Morgan's. There are a couple of people on EBAY that are selling coins in knock off holders,they just cover the grade and EBAY allows them to sell them. What a shame EBAY does not put their foot down and keep people like that off their site.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this......................... :smile:

PNGS
    PROFESSIONAL NUMISMATIC GRADING SERVICE
    No information on this grading company. Any TPGS without a website, address, phone number or email are usually "self-slabbers" who grade their own coins, sell them, and don't accept submissions from the general public. These companies are not recommended unless one can tell, first-hand, that the coin is authentic, problem free (not cleaned or damaged), and graded appropriately.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    PCGS is the top, NGC is a very distant and bitter second and the rest (others than some periods in ANACS history) are a variation on shite.

And this is what turns some people off of pcgs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file