Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strange eBay bidding activity...

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one I haven't seen happen in 17+ years on eBay:

The bid on a listing I have makes a significant jump and I have a new high bidder. They have zero feedback. Yesterday, I get a bid retraction notice saying their bid of $101 was an incorrect amount.

This morning, the same bidder who retracted again becomes the high bidder. A little while ago, I get another bid cancellation notice, saying their bid of $101 was again an incorrect amount.

It looks to me like this might be a 'fake' user someone created to test the current high bid and find out the underbidder's max. Is this what's going on? I find it odd that the same person made the same exact mistake 2 days in a row.

I did block them after the second time- enough with the shenanigans.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

the bidder will use his other account next time :(

• Options

@Barndog said:
    the bidder will use his other account next time :(

True- I guess there's nothing stopping them. If you saw the coin, you'd be wondering why they were expending the effort.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that this bidder knows you. And they are just trying to F*UCK with you.

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    I think that this bidder knows you. And they are just trying to F*UCK with you.

OINK

Interesting- I wonder who, and why they would? I can't think of anyone I made mad at me, but I guess you never know...

• Options
    Mb423Mb423 Posts: 92

You haven't blocked him yet?

• Options

@Mb423 said:

Yes, they are blocked.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:

@Mb423 said:

Yes, they are blocked.

share the user ID, I don't want him bidding either.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options

@derryb said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@Mb423 said:

Yes, they are blocked.

share the user ID, I don't want him bidding either.

temagd-0

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What some people will do for fun!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with that! If you would like to mess with him just send me a PM as to what you'd like me to bid.....lol

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I know I've def. Been bid up on items on eBay by the seller and another false or a friend's account, guaranteed. But how to prove it?

Brian k.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay isn't the only auction site you get bid up on, but how to prove it?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... fake bids to test price lid... good job on blocking.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

You used to be able to check and see how many bid retractions during the last 6 months. The programmers keep making 'improvements' so I am not sure if you still can

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have wondered about this on eBay, as I don't use any other sites yet. I don't know how you folks find the info the way you do. All I see is this

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I have wondered about this on eBay, as I don't use any other sites yet. I don't know how you folks find the info the way you do. All I see is this

Bid retractions are in a separate section, under the list of active bids.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

That's pretty cheap.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2017 1:26PM

@davewesen said:
    You used to be able to check and see how many bid retractions during the last 6 months. The programmers keep making 'improvements' so I am not sure if you still can

You still can (at least on the non-mobile version of ebay). Just click on the bidding history for an item and then click on the username (i.e. the "q***q" part). That will give you this (for the auction from @Aspie_Rocco ):

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file