Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where are you on the coin passion scale 1 to 10?

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 22, 2017 11:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been from a 1 ( lost interest and needed a break) to a 10 where I dreamed in half dollars.

I'm at a 9 again.

Where are you?

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Im at a 10 when I hit a coin show and try to bring it back to a 9 for regular everyday Life. B)

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throttle is at 105% right now, 3 years ago it was at 0.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

At a 9 after taking about a break for a year and half. You know the passion is high when you're continuously checking your PCGS submissions.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yKnot said:
    At a 9 after taking about a break for a year and half. You know the passion is high when you're continuously checking your PCGS submissions.

Wouldn't it be great if there was an app that texted you the second grades posted? That would save many mouse clicks. Many meese have gone to an early grave whilst awaiting grades.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 1:22AM

Pretty high. It's fun times right now.

• Options
    yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:

@yKnot said:

Wouldn't it be great if there was an app that texted you the second grades posted? That would save many mouse clicks. Many meese have gone to an early grave whilst awaiting grades.

That's a great idea! I actually like it when I receive a text from Amazon to tell me that a package has been shipped or delivered. Text messaging works great for that. Of course, as long as they don't sell or share your number with other businesses.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm around 6. I have my eye on a few Lincolns but I refuse to pay 3X the suggested retail price.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm at a 3. Don't know if I should be selling out or buying cheap. PCGS3000 continues to drop like a lead balloon. Right now, I have plans to purchase only 3 coins in 2017. Two of those will be CAC gold. Hoping for a general coin market turn around in '17.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some items I"m a 10, for others 1. Therefore 10+1= 11 divided by 2= 5.5

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently maybe 6.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a 5, but I don't know which direction I'm moving :/

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give it a "5" at the moment, then again I should be working on my capstone paper right now, but coins are on my mind at this particular moment.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

8... will move to a 7 as weather improves.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at my lowest a few months ago, 1. Interest went away for some reason and I didn't fight it.
    Currently I'm at a comfortable 6.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was recently at a 4/5, then without warning shot up to a 9, planning on reining it back to around a healthy 7.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually about 7 to 8.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

At this moment about a 2 or 3

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

lock me in at 9

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 7:42AM

9 for me.

That said, if I get the shaft on all the express orders I have in right now, it will drop, and quickly!

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the day of the week, and sometimes the hour of the day.

Right now I'm at a 9.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:

There is, kind of. I use one of my Chase cards on all submissions, and when PCGS charges the card, the grades post immediately thereafter. My phone dings and posts a message of who made the charge, when a charge is made on that card. This also works at shows now. (All available in the Chase app)

That ding is the sound of dreams or hopes dashed!

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 8:53AM

3-- I turned 60 last month, and lost some old friends last year. Possessions are meaning less and less to me.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

7.0134 today.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes the dragon wins

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold Prospecting 10
    Nature Photography 10
    Kayak Fishing 4
    Coin Collecting 2
    Coin Business 8
    Photo business 10

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭

6.5 right now, 9 at coin shows or more.

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Too many other financial/work priorities.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

Right now I am at about a 8.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a coin to pick up at the post office this morning, so 11!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been at 10 for a very long time, now.

I am starting to downshift to 8 or 9 but it will still always be there for me.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes its a 10. Other times I remember how Badly I was skrooed by a certain entity and it drops WAY below zero.

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually 11 or 12, but i sleep for at least 6 hours a day. Does dreaming count too?

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 - Sometimes hot/sometimes cold.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say steady 7 to 8, until a coin show vacation is planned or a supply of coins shows up to fill some holes in my sets. Then it jumps to a 10!

I'll also say posting to Instagram and seeing coin posts from collectors around the world has nudged the meter up a bit.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a cool question, I would say for me that I'm at a 5. I don't feel the need to really chase any coins down. The ones I have are from a period where I was easily at a 10, driven to complete certain goals at any effort and cost. Now that those goals are mostly met, I've cooled quite a bit. I still love coins believe me and they hold an interest, but lately, not enough to come off my money for anywhere near the asking prices I see. Though there are times of the year when I get flush and could see it ok to peal off some cash or something neat just to put away.

Recently, during a week in FL with family, I stumbled across two coin shops. Didn't buy anything or even inquire about any of the inventory. Usually, I'd seek out coin shops and most likely try to buy something, funny though to me that I can still see a coin shop sign from a mile away.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 ....no, make that 5..... hold on..... TWO... a measly 2..... but waitaminnit.... RYK's BST just took me to 9 again.

Now.... EBAY..... well.... make it a POINT zero two.

I've gotten to the age where coins ARE an investment. I buy enjoyment and the fun of messing around on the forum and have now winnowed my collection down (up?) to where I really LIKE the junk I own.

This didn't answer the quiestion, cid it?

Okay...... 8 on average.

Unless...................................... hmmm

EOM ;)

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

6, and a little rudderless at the moment. I'm waiting for inspiration. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my passion:

This is my hobby:

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

110 with a wallet of 3. :(

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

Traditional U.S.coins, probably a 3.
    Civil war era tokens, local historical medalettes, military post exchange tokens, 8.
    When pieces that have been off the market for years, decades, I do start to whip into a frothy frenzy. The "10" in me begins to surface.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:

Right now I'm at a 9.

Ain't that the truth! I've seen you at a minus 1 and at an 11 ; )

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Probably about a 3.

Up and down, sometimes depending on what I see and read on this board.

Generally lower highs and lower lows. I might need to step away for awhile.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

For my collection, fairly high 7 or 8.
    For new purchases, pretty low, maybe 2 or 3. Just can't seem to find any good value these days.

What i need to do is sell a couple hundred coins, but what a daunting task, and expensive up front, what with grading and stickering and fancy picturing...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    For my collection, fairly high 7 or 8.
    For new purchases, pretty low, maybe 2 or 3. Just can't seem to find any good value these days.

What i need to do is sell a couple hundred coins, but what a daunting task, and expensive up front, what with grading and stickering and fancy picturing...

Just srart with your early gold at...oh....10%.....OVER your cost (to be fair)
    and we can make it WAY less daunting.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somewhere around a 6.5. Still pretty interested, but collecting space memorabilia has first dibs on serious purchases. I agree with others that my interest level goes up whenever I'm planning on going to a major show in the near future.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@MidLifeCrisis said:

Right now I'm at a 9.

Ain't that the truth! I've seen you at a minus 1 and at an 11 ; )

Mark

I want to Like, Agree, and tag LOL to this!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file