Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do u think this 80's penny is worth? Interesting?

Looks like it is struck about 95% off center

Brian k.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it show the date on the other side?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

No

Brian k.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's copper it might be earlier than the 80s.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

I could find the specific density of it to see if it is pure copper

Brian k.

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

around $3

• Options

Isn't the designers initials closer than normal on proof coins?

Brian k.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to ask....how you knew the date?

• Options

From the wear on the remaining coin and when my old man said he got the coin it seems like it is in the 80s. I don't think that was circulated to much before it was taken out of circulation by my dad when he got it in change from the store lol

Brian k.

• Options
    edited February 13, 2017 7:53PM

@Screeb741 said:
    From the wear on the remaining coin and when my old man said he got the coin it seems like it is in the 80s. I don't think that was circulated to much before it was taken out of circulation by my dad when he got it in change from the store lol

Getting something like this in change is a pretty rare event. If it was me receiving this in change would cherish it much more than what it's actual collectible value is.

I collect error coins exclusively and only once have I received a "change find" error. It's an uncentered broadstrike (about 3% off center) state quarter that looks like it was run over in the street by traffic for a week before I got it, and I was pretty excited about getting it! :D

• Options

He did cherish it. It went in that cardboard holder and hasn't left in over 30 year's

Brian k.

• Options

I don't think he would let me sell it if I wanted too I just wanted to do some research on it

Brian k.

• Options

@Screeb741 said:
    I don't think he would let me sell it if I wanted too I just wanted to do some research on it

Off center Lincoln cents are a "common" error but what is uncommon is finding one in change, especially this far off center. Usually, the value of off center coins is the highest when they are around 40-60% off and a full date and mint-mark are visible. Also, the higher the coins denomination the higher the value. Some exceptions exist to these rules, one example would be 1969 Philly Mint Lincoln cents which for some reason are an incredibly rare date for off centers.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find... I would keep it also.... really not of significant value on the market.... but a great collector piece. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

No fancy spectrograph test needed.

Just weigh it - 3.1 is copper, 2.5 is copper-coated zinc.

Looks copper to me, from your photo.

$3 wholesale, $5-$7 retail.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goodmoney4badmoney said:
    around $3

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lettering looks circa 1969-73ish.
    Like others have said, dealer buy at $2-3...retail $5 or so.
    I'm kinda cheap, I'd only pay $2 for it.

• Options

Thank u everyone for your

Brian k.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin, cool find and even cooler that your pops found it 30+ years ago in the wild...and even cooler than that...you have it to cherish today ;)

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

This is like some segments of the 'Antiques Roadshow' where there is enough interest to televise the item but then the appraiser claims it's interesting but has little value. awww.

Well I think it's neat to find a off center in change and worthy of a keep sake.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file