Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Registry and Competition

Awhile back I reached out to the owner of a #1 set on the registry that I was looking to collect. More than anything, I wanted to introduce myself, gain some insight on challenges of acquiring the set and maybe share some stories. I was watching the set for almost a year and the top spot had no activity. After contacting the #1 owner, sharing some emails, and playfully saying I was gunning for his spot, something amazing happened. Within 9 days of the correspondence, the #1 set had five significant upgrades that cost in excess of $15,000.

So my question is this: did I poke the sleeping bear, or was it just a coincidence?

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Comments

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could the cards have been already purchased and just not updated? I know I have a few for mine that I've been neglectful of updating. If the cert numbers are from recent auctions then perhaps you did indeed wake a sleeping giant.

Kevin

• ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

TRIAPD

• All recent sales. I checked that as well. I know because I was actually looking to buy some of the cards they purchased lol

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    All recent sales. I checked that as well. I know because I was actually looking to buy some of the cards they purchased lol

Seems like they took it as "fair warning". If there's going to be competition the cards aren't getting any cheaper.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Does anyone else on the registry on these boards have this mentality? If so, I'm curious of the thought process and whether this type of reaction is generally positive (you love the competition and enjoy the challenge) or negative. (fear of losing #1 spot and "How Dare He Challenge Me" mentality)

Joe

• Which set?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

I keep my set private to avoid these types of things until it becomes "untouchable"

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

I think generally, folks on here like the comradery and see fellow collectors in a positive light.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fundamental problem is that The Registry ranks only the stickers, not the cards.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    The fundamental problem is that The Registry ranks only the stickers, not the cards.

I'm not sure if your opinion is clear. Are you saying one should not buy the holder?

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I will only list a set on the registry once I'm done with it as to not give away my hand on what I need, etc. I don't know how savvy certain sellers are, but say I was one card away from a perfect 1981 Donruss baseball set and all I needed was a common player, who is to say a certain seller wouldn't see that and list said card for 8x it's worth?

I didn't always have that mentality and was sort of "smartened up" to that by friends I've made in the hobby. I've also over the years tried to reach out to certain registry participants on things I've needed, and although we developed good correspondence, could never really make any deals because understandably, they are active collectors trying to reach the same goal I am.

To avoid any drama, run up in prices, etc, I just collect sets in the shadows and list them on the registry when complete.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

The registry is a loss of time away from loved ones and money. It is an addiction for a lot of people. A disease. When I see people losing money and time over ranks and GPA's, I'm generally disheartened and not impressed.

• @ThoseBackPages said:
    Which set?

I'd rather not say. The person who holds the #1 spot is very well known and may even be a member of this board.

Joe

• TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I don't care that much if I'm not the number one guy on the registry, although I'm delighted if I am. I have used the "what if" tool to see what it would take to become number one. Most of the time, I just don't feel it's worth the money. And no, I don't have a disease and I don't collect pictures of other men (been told that one too). I'm preserving sports history for my own enjoyment. It's a hobby.

I'll reiterate something I've said before

1. Like it or not, the best source of new material, is your competition!

2. Unless you have unlimted funds, the only way, at least I have found, to get your collection from good to great is through other collectors.

3. Always keep your contacts during the journey, and send a note evey now and then saying hi. (I was taught this from Griffins on the board) TWICE I have caught major collections to pick over before they went to auction.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

70 candy lids ?/
    Do u have a 72 Carew ?

@flatfoot816 said:
    I started a Tom Brady master set recently and sent emails to the top 2-3 guys. Asked if they had extra cards--etc. They never responded. That's fine. On the opposite side--I have the #1 Yaz master set and always try to help guys below me. There was a time I hoarded all my extras to AVOID competition--but felt it was stupid. Some of those Yaz collectors (Dan Bessette and Ugaskidawg-Brent) have become some of my better friends here. Heck Dan just sent me 2 cards I have been chasing for some time--for free!

I have bought rare extra Yaz cards (70 candy lids) to keep those away from my competition--but overall I enjoy both the chase and the friendships we share over our mutual Yaz collections

as for the OP's post--good for the #1 guy. He is letting you know you have to keep up with the Joneses. Go get 'em!!

@Gemyanks10 said:

@MULLINS5 said:
    The registry is a loss of time away from loved ones and money. It is an addiction for a lot of people. A disease. When I see people losing money and time over ranks and GPA's, I'm generally disheartened and not impressed.

This is an absurd statement. I've dealt with the registry for years now as a way to keep inventory on my collection, set goals, and to create something to strive for. To just downplay the registry in a negative light when you don't even know most of us personally is uncalled for. I've been back in the hobby since 2009 and never once did collecting take time away from my loved ones hahaha. Completely ridiculous.

RIDICULOUS !!!!
    I have been collecting since 2004 and i coach two of my sons travel teams and very active with them and the community. We went to the Nationals and had fun meeting Mariano and Hulk Hogan ! The registry is a cool way to display and see whats out there ! i discovered cards through the registry i would never have known existed.
    I only collect Panama Born Players because that's what i love and i do not do it for Investment purposes. Each card has a story.
    I started around 12 player sets and i have met 50 of the 55 players that were born in Panama. Some have become friends. Like somone else said it's a preservation of sports history.
    This is what we do. Some like fishing, some go golfing, some go to the stripclubs, some like gambling. We preserve art.

• You woke the sleeping bear. I should know.

@LOTSOS said:

@MULLINS5 said:

To each their own. Some people probably don't enjoy however or whatever it is you collect. That's good for you because that's less competition.

Whenever someone posts here it puts them in a spotlight. Calling what you don't agree with a "disease" paints you in a certain light. Saying it's an "addiction" lends me to believe you don't know what an addiction is. But take heart. I doubt that one single person was trying to impress you with their registry.

Kevin

It is my opinion that the registry is a waste of money. It is my opinion that it is a waste of time away from loved ones. It is not my opinion that addiction is a disease - that is a fact, and it is absurd to think that of the tens of thousands of registry sets out there, not a single person is addicted to building or maintaining a set. I know someone who drained their 401k and got a second mortgage to maintain a number one set. This person paid me, and others, insane amounts of money for upgrades, then a few years down asked if we'd buy them back because he was flat broke. When I read what the OP posted about the guy dropping thousands on cards, likely overpaying just to maintain an arbitrary and autocratic checklist of cards, it reminds of this gentleman and the fact that there are folks who so screw-up their personal lives for a little star icon to satisfy their desires and impress others.

• Why is it a waste of money?

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mullins if your experience has been that then your point makes a lot more sense. My savings goals come way ahead of cards and there have been times when something popped up that I had to say no to because the timing wasn't right. My retirement account and paying off my mortgage are my top two priorities. If I were to ever drain my 401k to buy cards it would be a Honus Wagner in the highest grade I could afford at the time.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2017 10:58AM

Hold on, Patrick, weren't you not long ago attempting to self-submit an all PSA 10 1989 hockey set?

I like the registry~I do think it can be consuming in certain cases, primarily for those with large egos, but for me, it's a nice way to track completion of a set while adding an element of competition, even if attaining a top set is not the goal. As a collector, I will also echo Matty's mantra and collect the card not the flip~I would much rather have a high end PSA 8 vs a low end PSA 9 for my registry sets.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah but he probably wasn't going to enter it into the registry so that's different. ;)

Kevin

@grote15 said:
    Hold on, Patrick, weren't you not long ago attempting to self-submit an all PSA 10 1989 hockey set?

I like the registry~I do think it can be consuming in certain cases, primarily for those with large egos, but for me, it's a nice way to track completion of a set while adding an element of competition, even if attaining a top set is not the goal. As a collector, I will also echo Matty's mantra and collect the card not the flip~I would much rather have a high end PSA 8 vs a low end PSA 9 for my registry sets.

My '89 Topps and '90 Pro Set sets don't take much of my time and I work on them here and there when I'm alone at home or the family is asleep. Plenty of people here have expressed their opinion of how these registry sets are a waste of money and I certainly can't disagree with that. For me, like perhaps you and Manny, the registry isn't a competition and I've been in contact with the number one guy for the '89 set, giving him 10s for upgrades. He is certainly not addicted to maintaining the number one spot, but there are those who are totally consumed with it that it messes up their lives - which was the point of my original post in this thread, maybe not articulated as well as others could have.

@bobmoat said:
    Why is it a waste of money?

Dude I made a post. What are you out to lunch??? What is taking you so long to hit the disagree button? Come on bro I am counting on you to keep pumping that number up. You have done a great job so don't quit on me.

• Dr. Peck, I only respond to posts with how I actually feel.

@Dpeck100 said:

@bobmoat said:

Dude I made a post. What are you out to lunch??? What is taking you so long to hit the disagree button? Come on bro I am counting on you to keep pumping that number up. You have done a great job so don't quit on me.

I wish this site would adopt the rule of having your real name in your posts, like net54. The amount of alts has caused this place to go way downhill.

• @MULLINS5 said:

@grote15 said:

My '89 Topps and '90 Pro Set sets don't take much of my time and I work on them here and there when I'm alone at home or the family is asleep. Plenty of people here have expressed their opinion of how these registry sets are a waste of money and I certainly can't disagree with that. For me, like perhaps you and Manny, the registry isn't a competition and I've been in contact with the number one guy for the '89 set, giving him 10s for upgrades. He is certainly not addicted to maintaining the number one spot, but there are those who are totally consumed with it that it messes up their lives - which was the point of my original post in this thread, maybe not articulated as well as others could have.

You can manage but others can't? SMH, @MULLINS5 .

• @MULLINS5 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@bobmoat said:

I wish this site would adopt the rule of having your real name in your posts, like net54. The amount of alts has caused this place to go way downhill.

Yes, my real name is very disguised. LOL!

@bobmoat said:

@MULLINS5 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@bobmoat said:

Yes, my real name is very disguised. LOL!

What is really funny is someone commented on a Facebook post and their name was Bob Moat. I said are you THE Bob Moat from the CU board??? Sadly it wasn't the famous Bob Moat.

• Probably another Bob Moat.

@MULLINS5 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@bobmoat said:

I totally agree. Most of the time I can just shake it off and not be too bothered but every once in a while they get me.

@MULLINS5 said:

@grote15 said:

It took more time for you to locate,buy, and rip those packs, sort, and submit those cards than 99% of the time people spending just buying the cards and adding them to their set!

At least your superman set is for you and your son...and nobody else in history collects registry sets with their kids....so that doesn't count either

Sancti-friggin-monius

And talk about a WASTE of money, subbing worthless 89 topps hockey just to say you made a "self subbed psa 10 set"?

"Thou doth protest too much, methinks"

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever floats your boat. If you enjoy the competition' go for it. If you think it's a waste of time and money stay on the sidelines. If you use the registry to keep track of your collection or don't mind being in 20th, 40th or 100th place enjoy your hobby.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@RipublicaninMass said:

@MULLINS5 said:

@grote15 said:

It took more time for you to locate,buy, and rip those packs, sort, and submit those cards than 99% of the time people spending just buying the cards and adding them to their set!

At least your superman set is for you and your son...and nobody else in history collects registry sets with their kids....so that doesn't count either

Sancti-friggin-monius

It actually didn't take much time at all. Just a matter of buying wax from BBCE and grabbing a handful here and there when I feel like subbing. I have three unopened cases of '89s and eight cases of Pro Set which I will get to....eventually. I love ripping packs and subbing cards, so I get a good bang for my buck with these years. I also do not compete, so there is, and never will be, a premium coming out of my pocket to climb the ranks of the registry. The topic of discussion is "the registry and competition" and the OP states that this collector went on a, rather large, spending spree likely to maintain his number one spot. Fifteen thousand dollars is different for each of us, but in my eyes that's a lot to spend just to have an icon next to your name on a computer screen. My point is that this kind of behavior happens a lot and there are definitely circumstances where people are so addicted to their registry position that they will do things they shouldn't to maintain it.

On another note - I know that I've mentioned the Superman set here, but my three year old son is off-limits to your snarky comments. Leave him and his cards 100% out of this.

_ I also do not compete, so there is, and never will be, a premium coming out of my pocket to climb the ranks of the registry._

It would have be cheaper just to buy the psa 10s, yet your self established goal is all self subbed psa 10 set. So you are competing with yourself, your eyes vs psa's. Just because you love ripping and subbing cards doesn't mean it doesn't take time and energy away from other things.

"Snarky", hardly, is that the best an English major/teacher turned used literaray book seller could do? (Thats rhetorical by the way) My one registry passion has nothing to do with grade, just obtaining a card in any form. I have no skin in this game per se, it just irked me, and I literally had to go back and make sure it was you, someone spending all this time posting about achiving a goal of a psa 10 self subbed set, mind you selling lowly 9s wont even pay back the grading fee, cant rationalize it when it comes to others. Then has the nerve to determine what "losing money and time away from loved ones" costs. The premium coming out of your pocket is psa telling you it's a 10 and of course it takes a lot time to rip sub etc, more so for only psa 10s

Funny my son is 10 months old, and I ceratinly dont have the time in between his naps to buy,rip,sub cards. I dont like taking the time away from him, at this point so far ive refused daycare, and I try to limit my technology time on the weekends. If I EVER was taking time away from my son with my head buried in my phone or with cards...and reason being because I had "said" project with him, my wife's answer would be that I should ashamed of myself using him as an excuse. I guess she isnt very understanding.

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:
    you woke the sleeping bear
    :)

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

15k could seem like 15 million to one person and $15 to the next. As Kevin Hart says, "stay in your own lane". I have passed on some nice Greg Maddux cards that were too high or just wasn't the right time for me. I am not one to pass judgement on someone that did pick up said items, that is their business. I enjoy subbing in hopes of PSA 10s and picking up hard to find items, but I know my limitations and stick with them.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    15k could seem like 15 million to one person and $15 to the next. As Kevin Hart says, "stay in your own lane". I have passed on some nice Greg Maddux cards that were too high or just wasn't the right time for me. I am not one to pass judgement on someone that did pick up said items, that is their business. I enjoy subbing in hopes of PSA 10s and picking up hard to find items, but I know my limitations and stick with them.

What he said...free country...let people spend their hard earned money as they see fit. People vary in priorities and life milestones. Let people manage their own tastes and happiness. If the registry enables someone to achieve something, so be it.

• travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Judge not, lest you begrudged.

• muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

i know you noted recent sales, but are you sure the guy didnt have other multiple sets going on as well and simply reshuffled his hands to show you what it would actually take?

similar to:

"awe shucks. i only have two pair. a pair of kings. and then the other pair of kings"

i do this w one set but only around award time. rest of my sets could care less...

• I have one #1 set and just sold some of my extras to #2 set. It's all about enjoying the hobby.

• Wow, this thread took off. Great reading.

Joe

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 1:47PM

That term addiction is interesting...when is it passion and when is it an addiction? Is addiction only a problem if you don't have the physical means to do it? Maybe it hurts you in other realms of life, like being able to pay bills and get food on the table. I know many people on this board (or people who were once allowed to be on this board) who have spent a lot of money chasing cards - registry or not. They have dedicated budgets specifically for these collecting goals.

I agree that someone going through a 401k and second mortgage to satisfy a big collecting goal is not the greatest judgement. However, who am I to judge. Just because a handful of people have gone down the path of spending money they don't have, does that make everyone pursuing a registry set addicted and unimpressable? I'm pretty impressed by many of the sets I see come from CU board members and members of other boards as well.

To each his own.