Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Toy - Cheap Fun. USB Microscope

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I propose that @ms70 be awarded the "introduction of affordable technology" award. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics Boston!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Much clearer without the lens cap.......................... :warning:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

Also don't forget to remove the protective cap over the lens. I see a cloudy area and I'm thinking maybe you left it on when you took the pics?

Heheh. That part of the instructions must have been in Chinese. I'll have to try again later and see if the cloudiness improves.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2017 3:42PM

@seanq said:

Sean Reynolds

That looks like a 7 over 3 or 5. What coin is that?

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@seanq said:

Sean Reynolds

1947 Colombia 20 Centavos, 7 over 5. Most of the 10, 20, and 50 centavos coins from 1947 through the early 50s are over dates of some kind, though most don't show as well as this one.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    For $15 and 3 day delivery it works great.
    May have to play with lighting and 'vibration' reduction when pressing 'snap' button, but overall a great investment dollar wise even if you only use it 'live' on the computer screen to zoom in on coins. :+1::+1:

I bought a similar item a couple years ago and only vibration was changing the focus and angle. I could snap picture or start movie from the viewing screen on the computer.

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

I got a similar one off Amazon, the stand for mine was cheap plastic and wobbles and is kinda cocked with the weight of the scope on it.

Is your stand is metal? If so I need to order one of them.

And the lens cap comment, Hehe I was so mad when I got mine 1st set up and the pictures were horrible. The I was like what's this tab, got the lens cap off and much improved, but still the cheap stand on mine needs to be replaced.

• Options

@Wmwood said:
    I got a similar one off Amazon, the stand for mine was cheap plastic and wobbles and is kinda cocked with the weight of the scope on it.

The stand is plastic. When you turn the knob to go up & down there is some wiggle but once it's where you want it it stays still. Definitely not a precise mechanism.

Initially when I assembled the post to the base I was afraid to tighten it too much thinking the screw was going into plastic and it was loose. Eventually I looked inside the screw hole and saw a metal nut in there, so I put a little Locktite on it and gave it a reasonable tightening and then it was much better.

• Options

@seanq said:

@ms70 said:

@seanq said:

Sean Reynolds

1947 Colombia 20 Centavos, 7 over 5. Most of the 10, 20, and 50 centavos coins from 1947 through the early 50s are over dates of some kind, though most don't show as well as this one.

Sean Reynolds

The overdate shows up well!

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

@ms70 said:

@Wmwood said:

The stand is plastic. When you turn the knob to go up & down there is some wiggle but once it's where you want it it stays still. Definitely not a precise mechanism.

Initially when I assembled the post to the base I was afraid to tighten it too much thinking the screw was going into plastic and it was loose. Eventually I looked inside the screw hole and saw a metal nut in there, so I put a little Locktite on it and gave it a reasonable tightening and then it was much better.

Thank you for that info. Looking at mine, the up and down arm is bent/warped. I think a stand alone is more than my scope was. It's still great for hunting errors and looking at VAMs,

Yours is very impressive, Especially for the price. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2017 5:33PM

Camera works great, anyone know how to open user manual. Mine goes to notepad but does not work.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2017 7:21PM

CA5MAN, looks to be about the same thing. FWIW here's the one that came with mine. Complete with the Chinese part! :)

Like you said, I looked at the manual afterwards, LOL..

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    CA5MAN, looks to be about the same thing. FWIW here's the one that came with mine. Complete with the Chinese part! :)

Like you said, I looked at the manual afterwards, LOL..

Thanks CA5MAN & ms70, Both files opened for me.
    Found out where my pictures go, was also looking for snap option as i have a similar one that allows you snap from your key board rather than on the camera. Hopefully with some searching i'll find it.

Thanks!!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    For $15 and 3 day delivery it works great.
    May have to play with lighting and 'vibration' reduction when pressing 'snap' button, but overall a great

windows "snip" - i've used it since vista.

or the digital snapshot as stated.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally received mine! Am I happy? In a word, YES!!! Esp. the fact, that all I had to do was plug it into my Laptop. It downloaded all by itself in approx. 40 seconds! Thank you again buddy for the heads up. This is the bargain of the new millennium. LOL. Here's my first pic. Its a 1960d Large date Cent/ It shows at least a double MM, maybe even a Triple MM?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2017 2:59PM

Glad you like it! Great pic of that mint mark. I found the focus is a matter of balance between the closeness of the lens to the object and the magnification dial. I'll bet you can make that even clearer!

Just a reminder to everyone who bought one, don't forget to remove the clear lens cap. It's hard to notice it's even there!

I actually just got done looking at a handful of change too. It's addicting!

• Options
    edited January 31, 2017 3:07PM

Yep, As soon as I opened the box, I thought of the lens cap. LOL Besides the fragile stand and continual movement when turning the dial, all is well. I just keep thinking of the price, $300 to $15.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@ms70
    Thank you so much again for making public this great find. :smile:

• Options

My pleasure. I'm glad everyone's having fun with it. :)

• Options

My only bad habit, well one of them, is that when I find something of value like this [whether it is a tactical belt, nice wallet or other] I want to buy several to keep on hand for when the original good deal wears out. :smile:

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    My only bad habit, well one of them, is that when I find something of value like this [whether it is a tactical belt, nice wallet or other] I want to buy several to keep on hand for when the original good deal wears out. :smile:

That's a good idea, dude. ;)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just saw this thread...damn, now they're sold out! :'(

• Options

I should have bought three........................... :smile:

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received a message from the seller this morning after I ordered on 1/23 basically stating they have over sold and want to refund me.

This stinks.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

@fastfreddie said:
    Received a message from the seller this morning after I ordered on 1/23 basically stating they have over sold and want to refund me.

This stinks.

Ugh, sorry to hear that...... I found one just like it but it's just a few bucks more with free shipping. Maybe the other guy will restock.

ebay.com/itm/S02-Portable-1X-500X-Continuous-Zoom-2-0MP-Digital-USB-Microscope-Black-/272501642109?hash=item3f725d137d:g:gzgAAOSwHsRYCxf~

• Options

I wouldn't worry too much, I think everyone will have another opportunity? Just maybe from a different seller and (hopefully) only a tad higher in price. Don't give up hope, I too, wouldn't mind getting another one, in case this one I have, decides to take a dive!-joey :)

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

No biggie,...thanks for the link, I tried again. We'll see if I get a similar message.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

@EldoEsq said:
    I was looking for something to photograph coins and cards...how are the images with no magnifiction?

I am looking as well

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    Thanks again @ms70

Wow

• Options

@seanq said:
    Supposedly the scope is plug and play, and on most Windows systems it will recognize it as a camera. I have an older laptop running Win 10 and it took a little messing around with drivers before I could get it running. Once installed, it worked beautifully, the image quality is better than the old QX3 it replaced and the focal distance and magnification are completely in the hands of the user. The second picture below was actually taken through a PCGS slab, something the QX3 could never accomplish.

Sean Reynolds

WOW, nice!

• Options

@CyndieChildress said:

@EldoEsq said:
    I was looking for something to photograph coins and cards...how are the images with no magnifiction?

I am looking as well

There isn't a non-magnified setting. It's 50x - 500x. I haven't yet tried to get the entire coin in the viewing field but next time I'm playing with it I'll see what happens.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a dummy and didn't read the listing before I hit the buy. I only have a Mac. Has anyone gotten it to work on a Mac laptop by any chance? It showed up last week and it's still in the box until I figure out if it either works on a Mac...or if my teenager with a PC wants it.

• Options

Yes, teenagers may be able to figure it out. I don't own a MAC myself but hopefully someone here can help. :smile:

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

Ugh, sorry to hear that...... I found one just like it but it's just a few bucks more with free shipping. Maybe the other guy will restock.

ebay.com/itm/S02-Portable-1X-500X-Continuous-Zoom-2-0MP-Digital-USB-Microscope-Black-/272501642109?hash=item3f725d137d:g:gzgAAOSwHsRYCxf~

Looks like option #2 is not available.
    Creative excuse

I didn't use the email link login, in case the purpose of this was to gain contact info or userid and password.
    I logged into Ebay directly to review the message.

• Options

Ordered mine , Wow works great ,

Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
    Retired Coin Shop Owner .
    Still Collecting
    Love my Grandkids and my German Shepherd Dogs . Kind of like my wifes Cat.
  • Options

@10000lakes said:

@ms70 said:

Looks like option #2 is not available.
    Creative excuse

I didn't use the email link login, in case the purpose of this was to gain contact info or userid and password.
    I logged into Ebay directly to review the message.

Oh geez! :o

• Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@ms70

He could have been using source number 1, to purchase and drop ship to "his" customers.

• Options

Once again, like I said, this is the deal of the Century. I couldn't be more happy when I received mine in the mail. but here is my only complaint, I don't even care that the stand wobbles and vibrates. The one thing though is it only takes shots of the 500x Magnification, not the 50x. at least mine doesn't. anybody else?

• Options

I'm going to order one, thanks ms70 for the heads-up! :)

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Once again, like I said, this is the deal of the Century. I couldn't be more happy when I received mine in the mail. but here is my only complaint, I don't even care that the stand wobbles and vibrates. The one thing though is it only takes shots of the 500x Magnification, not the 50x. at least mine doesn't. anybody else?

Mine takes the shots at any setting. I don't use the button on the scope, I click the shutter button on the program that captures whatever is showing on the computer screen. It's the icon that looks like a camera. Did you try it that way?

• Options
    edited February 9, 2017 10:53AM

No, my problem is the focusing, not to snap the picture. OK, Now I got it to work! The dial was stuck for some reason? It works now. Now, I'm REALLY happy. Thanks. :p

• Options
    edited February 10, 2017 10:18PM

Here's some new images that show how the built-in LED lights can affect the pic.

This is a VERY worn Draped Bust Half Dime. Without the light you pretty much just see some blob on the surface.

photo 821.jpg

With the lights more detail is brought out. You can make out the word "STATES" which is above the "blob", now more defined as the clouds found on the reverse above the eagle. You can also see the edge of the eagle's wing rising to the left under the clouds.

photo 822.jpg

I think the key is practice just like anything else. :)

• Options

Pretty cool! You're right though. Practice helps tremendously. I can tell my practicing is paying off. I got it down to where I don't need the tripod. ;)

• Options

I finally got around to trying to figure mine out.
    Took me a while, (I'm not tech savvy) but with the help of previous threads I was able to install it with some difficulty and clumsily attempt to figure it out.
    Thanks again to ms70 for the tips and original heads-up.
    Mannie enters the Brave New World, without soma, I might add. :)

• Options

They are neat little toys and work surprisingly well. :smile:
    Nice pic

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK..... I have two of these gadgets now... guess I have to start playing with them..... I realize you all are a-twitter with anticipation for my first picture.....aw hell, even when I figure out how to use these things, then I have to figure out how to get the picture from the computer to the forum..... :/ Too much for now... Later... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I'll be waiting patiently :smile:

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I bought one without reading the listing well enough. Has anyone tried it with a Mac yet? If not/or it doesn't work I'll let it go to someone for the price of shipping.

• Options

@ricko said:
    OK..... I have two of these gadgets now... guess I have to start playing with them..... I realize you all are a-twitter with anticipation for my first picture.....aw hell, even when I figure out how to use these things, then I have to figure out how to get the picture from the computer to the forum..... :/ Too much for now... Later... Cheers, RickO

If I can figure it out, I know you can.
    I am one of the world's worst at figuring out computer stuff, and it all seems counterintuitive to me, but I know you can do it--you have to be more skilled at these things than I am. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file