Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2017 Philadelphia cents will have a "P" mintmark

First of all, I apologize if this subject has already been discussed. I have not been here for a while. I heard on the local news station that 2017 cents produced at the Philadelphia mint will have the "P" mint mark on them. The first cents produced in Philadelphia to have the "P" mint mark.
Personally I don't know why they added the "P" mint mark to the other coins in the first place. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish a "P" from a "D". Kinda like the end of an era. Another change that I am not in favor of, but really do not care that they did it.
What do you think of this change to cents? Of course we may find 2017 (Plain) no "P" cent errors, just like 1922.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it has been discussed here... but that is fine, welcome back.... I also believe the P mint mark on the cents is just for this year... a celebratory mark for the mint. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob1951 said:
    Of course we may find 2017 (Plain) no "P" cent errors, just like 1922.

>

The problem will be figuring out whether a 2017 plain cent is from Philadelphia or Denver. Sort of like figuring out if recent date "plain" Silver Eagles are from West Point or San Francisco.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file