Home Sports Talk
Options

Ranking the NFL QBs

breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

So as a Chiefs fan, I was trying to figure out where Alex Smith falls in my own rankings of NFL QBs. Leaving out rookies and Romo (because he has been hurt too much), considering overall body of work but giving some emphasis to current play, I came up with the following. JMO:

1. Brady (that hurts to admit)
  2. Rodgers
  3. Brees
  4. Roethlisberger
  5. Newton
  6. Wilson
  7. Carr
  8. Rivers
  9. Eli Manning
  10. Luck
  11. Flacco
  12. Cousins
  13. Stafford
  14. Ryan
  15. Winston
  16. Smith
  17. Mariota
  18. Dalton
  19. Bridgewater (not really sure where to put him but think he's better than Bradford)
  20. Tannehill
  21. Bradford
  22. Tyrod Taylor
  23. Cutler
  24. Fitzpatrick
  25. Kaepernick
  26. Bortles

So I came up with 15 guys I think are probably better than my quarterback. Dimeman will of course want to insert Prescott up pretty high but I am not ready to figure out where to put rookies. It was hard enough trying to place Mariota and Winston. Also left off Broncos' Siemian and Texans' Ostweiler for incomplete bodies of work. Okay, tell me where I am wrong...

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are all current QB's and you stated this is your opinion......so how can we challenge your opinion? Because that would be only our opinion. And I take it that this is a list or career standings. So it would be hard to rank Prescott with Brady with only having 12 games under his belt.

But if you were to do a list based on this year only this list would look different and Prescott would be near the top in my opinion.

• Options

Here is a list based on this season:

2016 Regular Season NFL Leaders

RK PLAYER PTS ADDED PASS RUN PENALTY TOTAL EPA QB PLAYS RAW QBR TOTAL QBR
    1 Dak Prescott, DAL 56.5 61.0 15.6 1.8 86.0 445 85.8 85.1
    2 Tom Brady, NE 39.7 50.4 2.7 2.0 59.3 360 82.6 81.9
    3 Matt Ryan, ATL 50.8 61.8 7.6 3.7 86.3 503 80.7 81.3
    4 Aaron Rodgers, GB 51.1 57.1 15.6 6.1 88.1 583 77.6 77.3
    5 Kirk Cousins, WSH 40.2 72.3 -0.9 1.6 81.7 553 73.6 74.4
    6 Drew Brees, NO 39.3 66.5 1.2 0.4 76.3 562 72.9 73.7
    7 Andrew Luck, IND 37.8 42.7 10.8 3.6 73.2 533 73.2 72.9
    8 Matthew Stafford, DET 36.3 48.8 12.5 3.7 75.2 526 72.6 72.4
    9 Philip Rivers, SD 27.9 48.9 1.2 4.3 65.0 512 68.4 69.3
    10 Jameis Winston, TB 30.2 53.7 3.9 -1.1 65.5 535 69.0 69.1
    11 Marcus Mariota, TEN 27.9 43.1 4.9 4.4 59.8 486 69.3 68.8
    12 Ben Roethlisberger, PIT 26.4 42.8 1.9 1.4 52.6 466 69.0 68.3
    13 Tyrod Taylor, BUF 20.4 17.9 19.8 2.7 53.8 484 64.5 65.4
    14 Russell Wilson, SEA 20.4 37.5 4.4 3.2 58.3 512 63.7 64.2
    15 Alex Smith, KC 15.7 34.6 3.0 1.2 47.1 483 61.3 63.9
    16 Trevor Siemian, DEN 14.3 28.5 0.8 3.5 44.2 403 62.3 62.1
    17 Derek Carr, OAK 16.2 52.5 -2.4 7.7 62.7 597 59.5 60.7
    18 Cam Newton, CAR 14.8 22.5 6.8 4.5 47.5 493 60.4 60.2
    19 Andy Dalton, CIN 11.2 32.5 3.8 2.6 49.7 546 57.2 58.3
    20 Joe Flacco, BAL 16.2 41.7 5.2 0.8 58.5 562 60.1 58.0
    21 Carson Palmer, ARI 15.0 31.5 2.2 3.8 51.0 539 59.7 56.9
    22 Colin Kaepernick, SF 5.3 -4.4 20.3 -0.2 24.9 299 56.3 56.5
    23 Brock Osweiler, HOU 9.5 21.8 8.6 3.4 42.7 497 56.7 56.4
    24 Sam Bradford, MIN 11.5 28.5 1.0 2.0 44.3 462 58.7 55.6
    25 Eli Manning, NYG 11.3 40.6 0.4 1.9 50.3 504 57.9 55.5
    26 Ryan Tannehill, MIA 6.7 21.7 5.1 0.5 37.2 448 55.2 54.3
    27 Blake Bortles, JAX 3.8 18.7 11.7 4.4 43.7 597 52.2 51.5
    28 Cody Kessler, CLE -0.2 11.0 -2.4 0.9 17.6 243 49.8 51.3
    29 Carson Wentz, PHI -1.2 33.3 -4.1 0.9 39.0 553 49.2 48.0
    30 Ryan Fitzpatrick, NYJ -5.6 11.2 5.2 3.1 26.3 413 45.2 46.5
    31 Case Keenum, LA -7.5 10.2 0.1 1.2 22.5 378 43.0 43.9

Glossary

• Season Leaders: On pace for 250 action plays.
    • All-time data reflects 2006 onwards.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2016 9:23PM

DM, that list is based solely on QB rating, which I seem to recall you calling irrelevant because it would rank Romo near the top of the list of active QBs for his career.

Of course, now it has Prescott ranked at No. 1, so I guess it is relevant after all, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    DM, that list is based solely on QB rating, which I seem to recall you calling irrelevant because it would rank Romo near the top of the list of active QBs for his career.

Of course, now it has Prescott ranked at No. 1, so I guess it is relevant after all, lol..

It's not based soley on the QB rating or that last number would be higher. I figure other stuff must be used here...don't know. Look how many games Romo lost (his errors)...lots. Prescott ZERO!! Right now Dak is a better QB than Romo by a long shot!

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought it would be fun to take your list and make my own with all the same players. I didn't really look at current or total body of work. I just put them in order of who i think is the better quarterback. Our lists were fairly close except for a few exceptions. I think Luck is extremely good and he puts up great numbers with a terrible offensive line and not a ton of help around him. I have Manning and Flacco way down the list to. I just never thought much of either one whenever I watched them play. As always, it's all opinion.

1. Brady
    2. Brees
    3. Luck
    4. Rodgers
    5. Roethlisberger
    6. Carr
    7. Cousins
    8. Wilson
    9. Stafford
    10. Newton
    11. Rivers
    12. Winston
    13. Ryan
    14. Mariota
    15. Dalton
    16. Taylor
    17. Smith
    18. Manning
    19. Tannehill
    20. Bortles
    21. Flacco
    22. Bridewater
    23. Bradford
    24. Kaepernick
    25. Cutler
    26. Fitzpatrick
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

It's not based soley on the QB rating or that last number would be higher. I figure other stuff must be used here...don't know. Look how many games Romo lost (his errors)...lots. Prescott ZERO!! Right now Dak is a better QB than Romo by a long shot!

QBR is the acronym for total quarterback rating, DM.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

QBR is the ESPN QB rating, not the same as the standard QB rating.

I gotta laugh at having Cousins ahead of Stafford. Stafford in the red zone since the start of last season: 32 TD, 0 int. He's also the king of the 4th quarter comeback.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2016 2:00AM

Cousins is having one heck of a 2016 season, though, in his own right and the only reason the Redskins are even in playoff contention. Stafford has had an outstanding season, as well.

• Options

Orioles93
    It is interesting to look at your list - this is what I was hoping for -to see others' come up with a ranking. Luck is hard to place -great skills, carries a bad franchise, great leader but his completion percentage is too low and his interceptions too high (at least that is my perception).
    I understand about Manning and Flacco - I put them in the same category -have shown ability to get hot and take team to Super Bowl but can be maddeningly inconsistent.
    By the way, I somehow unintentionally left Palmer off the list but he would be nearer the bottom than the top.
    Table, you may be right that Stafford deserves higher ranking. He is trending up but I guess I am not quite ready to trust him.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trending up? He has had multiple great seasons, including both last year and this year. He nearly unstoppable late in games. All-time leader in yards per game. Cousins has had maybe one great season (I'd say more like very good). I'd say he's the one trending up, while Stafford has already arrived at great.

• Options

Tabe
    Love the way you defend your guy but I glanced at career stats. Stafford career completion pct is 61.4 compared to Cousins' 65.9. Cousins has higher career QB ranking and neither has won a playoff game so I don't think Stafford is a clear cut better player.
    Stafford has tremendous arm talent and is having a great year but he had multiple years of under 60 percent completion. He seems to be thriving under this OC and finally playing to potential.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see what Luck could do if he wasn't operating under a curse. The Colts are a terrible franchise , the coach should have been fired years ago and the owner is worthless.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stafford with his 8th comeback 4th quarter victory of the year. All time record. I'm not sure who has better stats at this point in his career then Stafford.

Problem with Cousins is he is a weak between the ears. Ive seen him make several of the worst decisions at the absolute worst times. I'm not a huge Cousins fan. I'm glad he is not my QB

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Also I don't think Brees is a top 5 QB anymore. His stats are always gaudy but........he doesn't scare people like he used too. He can be defenced.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady is clearly #1, the rest of these guys you can mix and match to your own personal tastes.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Brady is clearly #1, the rest of these guys you can mix and match to your own personal tastes.

Yup

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

Yup

mark

I would have put Dak up there with him until last night's game. For this season only.......not career.

Career wise I don't think anyone is close to Brady.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2016 8:51PM

Brady's greatness is indisputable but I don't think he's head and shoulders above Rodgers. People fail to appreciate how great Rodgers was in 2010-11 and in 2014. He only has one Super Bowl to show for it but McCarthy may not be in the top half of the coaches in the league and Belichick won 11 games with Cassel playing QB.
    Mark, I like Cousins and Brees because they both have been under appreciated their entire careers. Brees set high school records in Texas but the Texas schools had no interest in him because of his size so he went to Purdue. Chargers couldn't wait to get rid of him once they drafted Rivers. He just kept showing people they were wrong about him.
    Cousins had no big scholarship offers out of high school until Dantonio recruited him late because Michigan State missed out on other quarterbacks. Then the Redskins drafted him as an afterthought, he played them right into the playoffs and they still don't want to pay him. I know he is a Sparty, Mark, but he can play.

• Options

Cousins can play and I love Dantonio.

Mark

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Would like to see how these QB's would have handled the leg injuries Wilson had to start the season. Hasn't missed a start, offensive line is terrible and hasn't lost at home. Had some clunkers on the road but Seattle wouldn't be were they are without him. Not sure were I'd rank him though.

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Holy cow, another Chiefs fan!! I thought I was the only one that existed. I am an Alex non-believer though. I would trade him for a bucket of warm spit. Meh, who am I kidding, it doesn't necessarily have to be warm.

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

@ChiefsFan1st said:
    Holy cow, another Chiefs fan!! I thought I was the only one that existed. I am an Alex non-believer though. I would trade him for a bucket of warm spit. Meh, who am I kidding, it doesn't necessarily have to be warm.

There are a few of us out there! The sad thing is we have lived through so many bad to mediocre QBs that I actually see Smith as an upgrade. Matt Cassell, Trent Green, Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono. It is painful to type some of those names. We had some really fine teams except at QB in some of those years. Now if we flame out again this year, I might start thinking it's time to look around or in the draft...

• Options

@ChiefsFan1st said:

I feel your pain.....Dallas hasn't had a great QB since Aikman until Dak.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@ChiefsFan1st said:

You remain in denial. Romo was an excellent QB on a mediocre team most of his career. The defense espesially stunk during his tenure. He was a bright spot in a sea of poop.

Merry Christmas!

mark

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Matt Ryan should be higher on everybody's list this year. MVP caliber regular season so far despite the small handful of losses.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@ChiefsFan1st said:

You remain in denial. Romo was an excellent QB on a mediocre team most of his career. The defense espesially stunk during his tenure. He was a bright spot in a sea of poop.

Merry Christmas!

mark

You can have him. In his rookie season Dak has already passed him.

Merry Christmas!

Jon

• Options

Merry Christmas guys. By the way, I referred to the Chiefs as "we" above. I hate guys that do that and I find myself falling right into the trap. I love the Chirfs but I am not on the team.
    Now the Royals, that's a different story...

• Options

@breakdown said:
    Merry Christmas guys. By the way, I referred to the Chiefs as "we" above. I hate guys that do that and I find myself falling right into the trap. I love the Chirfs but I am not on the team.
    Now the Royals, that's a different story...

KC looked good tonight.....even their linemen throw TD's! :o

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

My top 10 right now:

1. Brady
    2. Rodgers
    3. Brees
    4. Roethlisberger
    5. Ryan
    6. Wilson
    7. Cousins
    8. Prescott
    9. Stafford
    10. Luck

Tough list to generate. I think 3 through 10 could justifiably be mixed up all sorts of ways. I hate putting Brady ahead of Rodgers. Rodgers is more dynamic. Brady wins. Winning Super Bowls is tough, but the Packers, now in their 25th season of Favre/Rodgers have only won two. To me that is disappointing.

Luck is probably a top 5 talent. Carr should be on the list, we'll see how he comes back from the injury. Cam has sure regressed from MVP form, could be he is so banged up and just lacks the weapons around him.

Jeff

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to look at it from the perspective of "which QB do you want in the playoffs" for this season. Got to go with Brady alone at the top, then Rodgers, Rapelisberger, Wilson, Ryan. I wouldn't want any of the other guys on my team if I wanted to win it all.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prescott looks awesome tonight.

• Options

@Barndog said:
    I'd like to look at it from the perspective of "which QB do you want in the playoffs" for this season. Got to go with Brady alone at the top, then Rodgers, Rapelisberger, Wilson, Ryan. I wouldn't want any of the other guys on my team if I wanted to win it all.

Dang, you're not biased at all are you :o

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

I guess I'm stuck with Dak. B)

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChiefsFan1st said:

@Barndog said:

Dang, you're not biased at all are you :o

LOL

Biased by history

• Options

Rodgers maybe a tool in the locker room and off the field but man is he a great QB

mark

• Options

18 TDs and 0 INTs over past 7 games.

Geez.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2017 11:46AM

@grote15 said:
    18 TDs and 0 INTs over past 7 games.

Geez.

Indeed.

I think it only helps illustrates how historic Brady's entire season was. He threw 28 TDS against 2 INTS.

mark

• Options

I think Rodgers is a great QB but he is soft in my opinion, I think the entire Packers team is as well. I bet the Giants will beat them this week.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I think Rodgers is a great QB but he is soft in my opinion, I think the entire Packers team is as well. I bet the Giants will beat them this week.

Hope you're wrong....I want the Giants OUT!!!!

• Options
    edited January 2, 2017 7:18PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Rodgers maybe a tool in the locker room and off the field but man is he a great QB

mark

This is spot on. I was fired up to root for the Lions as I don't like Rodgers but he makes plays no one else can. Tool - sure seems like it.

By the way, why do so many Patriot fans go out of their way to rip on Rodgers? His greatness does not diminish what Brady has done. Can't stand either one of them or their teams but admire them both.

• Options

They are both great QB's.

• Options

@Barndog said:

Steve Smith agrees with you. Says Rodgers isn't even in the same league as Brady.

Since the Baltimore Ravens didn't make the playoffs in 2016, that means Steve Smith will be like most people in America this week: He'll be watching each postseason game from the comforts of his own home.

However, unlike most people in America, Smith spent 16 years in the NFL, which means he's probably more qualified than nearly anyone to give his opinion on who is the best quarterback in the postseason.
    Although there are several quarterbacks still playing who had huge seasons in 2016, Smith says none of them are better than Tom Brady, who put up huge numbers for the 14-2 Patriots despite the fact that he didn't have Rob Gronkowski for the final five weeks of the season.
    "You know, Tom Brady is doing a great job without Gronk, without some of the big name guys he's had in the past, but that makes his legacy even bigger," Smith said during a visit to ESPN's First Take this week. "Because no matter who you put out there, he makes those guys better."

Steve Smith says Tom Brady is 'several steps' ahead of Aaron Rodgers.
    Smith says Brady has been so good this season that Aaron Rodgers isn't even in the same league as the Patriots quarterback.
    "[Brady's very methodical, he can carve you up, just like you said about Aaron Rodgers," Smith said. "But I think he's a step above Aaron Rodgers. Several steps."
    That's coming from a guy who's played against both quarterbacks multiple times during his career.

Mark

• Options

I'm not ripping on him I'm just stating my opinion, I said he was a great QB I just don't think he is a great playoff caliber QB. Personally I think the Giants are going to beat the Packets this week

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    Matt Ryan should be higher on everybody's list this year. MVP caliber regular season so far despite the small handful of losses.

he receives my vote

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@DrBuster said:

he receives my vote

I could certainly live with him as well

mark

• Options

QB rating is not perfect but Rodgers' post-season rating is 10 points higher than Brady.
    I heard Steve Smith on Mike n Mike -he certainly has some opinions. Some are fair but some are a little over the top.
    MVP I would vote Brady almost by default because he has been good all year when he's been allowed to play. Rodgers' first half was shaky but his second half has been ridiculous. Matt Ryan I can't see it. Nice player but not an MVP. I think it would have been Carr if he hadn't gotten hurt. Someone who should get consideration but won't is Tyron Smith. His play at left tackle is elite and he may be the most important player on the Cowboys.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    QB rating is not perfect but Rodgers' post-season rating is 10 points higher than Brady.
    I heard Steve Smith on Mike n Mike -he certainly has some opinions. Some are fair but some are a little over the top.
    MVP I would vote Brady almost by default because he has been good all year when he's been allowed to play. Rodgers' first half was shaky but his second half has been ridiculous. Matt Ryan I can't see it. Nice player but not an MVP. I think it would have been Carr if he hadn't gotten hurt. Someone who should get consideration but won't is Tyron Smith. His play at left tackle is elite and he may be the most important player on the Cowboys.

If you are going to go by quarterback ratings then whats the problem with Matt Ryan? Also from an MVP standpoint Ryan is very important to his team .

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@breakdown said:

If you are going to go by quarterback ratings then whats the problem with Matt Ryan? Also from an MVP standpoint Ryan is very important to his team .

I looked at Ryan's stats and they are hard to argue with. I am a Chiefs fan and he did not play particularly well in that game so that colors my view. But I have to say outside of Brady, Ryan may be next most deserving.

• Options

Ryan was just named first team AP QB. That is usually a precursor to the MVP.

mark

• Options

All-pro voting makes you wonder. Other than Brady and to a lesser extent, Malcolm Butler, Patriots got very few votes. Devin McCourty deserves some respect.
    Tyreek Hill unanimous choice as punt returner. Nice.